Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

I think the problem that most people have with redeveloping areas is that if a huge company does not redevelop an entire area, its done in stages. The problem with it being done in stages is that the local government does not assist with cleaning and or taming the trash. You will find a common trend in areas that need redeveloping and the common demonator is that local government turns a blind eye. We know that will never happen to freemason, you could drop a trap house right on any of those corners and the city would drive them out and/or make it hard for them to operate successfully. Why? Its not that its "Freemason", its because of its relative location to DT.

Plop a few gated communities in Parkplace and see what happens....

Hell, does Norfolk have any gated communities???

Not saying its a good thing or bad thing, just noticed there are none (other than OV).

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend that owns in there too (investment). He wasn't seeking it out, someone just offered it to him for a crazy price so he took it.

If you can get all the poor people to leave, then buldoze it all out, then it will increase in value.

In terms of apartments, I just looked yesterday and to my surprise the building I'm in has a bunch more vacancies coming up. I thought it had mostly filled up again. Perhaps people are doubling up more, moving out of the area, or moving back in with parents.

Lamberts Point between W. 38th St. and the tracks separating the neighborhood from West Ghent is where I'd go before I put my $$ in Park Place. I noticed they tore down the old Supreme Gas Station on Hampton Blvd. and have marked off W. 26th St. with little pink flags from one end of the block behind the car wash all the way to Bowden's Ferry Rd. I understand the zoning was changed from light industrial to medium density residential (within the past week). Something's going on there. Anyone in the know? The city recently put sidewalks and curbing throughout that area along with lots of trees. Nice new homes built around there and a lot of revitalization despite the lousy economy. It's definitely a hot spot. Buffered by the university and W. Ghent, the area is small enough to be manageable and the demographics are trending in a positive direction. Best bang for your buck if you ask me.

Lamberts Point between W. 38th St. and the tracks separating the neighborhood from West Ghent is where I'd go before I put my $$ in Park Place. I noticed they tore down the old Supreme Gas Station on Hampton Blvd. and have marked off W. 26th St. with little pink flags from one end of the block behind the car wash all the way to Bowden's Ferry Rd. I understand the zoning was changed from light industrial to medium density residential (within the past week). Something's going on there. Anyone in the know? The city recently put sidewalks and curbing throughout that area along with lots of trees. Nice new homes built around there and a lot of revitalization despite the lousy economy. It's definitely a hot spot. Buffered by the university and W. Ghent, the area is small enough to be manageable and the demographics are trending in a positive direction. Best bang for your buck if you ask me.

We are actually going to build a house for a friend in Park Place. It's the only area left in town where you can get an "affordable" lot and still have money for the construction while keeping the mortgage "affordable" for a first time home buyer/young professional. I know Park Place is a bit rough now but there has actually been a lot of talk among younger people I know. The neighborhood is prime for redevelopment as its between ODU expansion and Ghent/21st expansion. It's the classic case of being on the "other side" of the rail road tracks. Sooner or later people will realize the diamond in the rough and I'd bet that is ends up being the next hip/trendy place to live. Might take 15 years but it'll happen.

Make sure you check the crime stats first tho. I know several people who have been robbed in the last year in that neighborhood. Also I've seen a dude come in the hospital who was pistol whiped while walking thru the neighborhood. I believe the crime is still off the chain in Lamberts Point.

I'm referreing to the area west of Hampton Blvd. (on the side where ODU's main campus is located) and south of W. 38th St. I have friends that used to live in PP between Colley and Hampton but sold and bought about a year and a half ago in LP. They say it's like night and day.

This might be a stupid question..... but.... How exactly are the concrete floor slabs being supported in this building? I was looking back at some older photos & noticed they never formed up concrete columns like most tall building (wells fargo for instance). I also can't remember seeing large steel bracing being used. Anyone have any idea?

This might be a stupid question..... but.... How exactly are the concrete floor slabs being supported in this building? I was looking back at some older photos & noticed they never formed up concrete columns like most tall building (wells fargo for instance). I also can't remember seeing large steel bracing being used. Anyone have any idea?

I'm referreing to the area west of Hampton Blvd. (on the side where ODU's main campus is located) and south of W. 38th St. I have friends that used to live in PP between Colley and Hampton but sold and bought about a year and a half ago in LP. They say it's like night and day.

Looks like they put up scaffolding all over the building near the parking garage/Brambleton.. They painted the end facing PETA of the building up against the parking garage.

WRT to rejuvinating ghetto hoods. What will happen now that the housing bubble popped and property prices are falling all over? When the $400K McMansion is $200K, is anyone going to bother running the poor out of the poor neighborhoods?

Plenty of people think the same thing about Freemason. It really comes down to doing due diligence before signing on the bottom line. Just because a neighborhood has some "rough" streets, doesn't mean the whole neighborhood is a risk.

That's Freemason for you. Nutty real estate prices for real estate owned by nutty old people :shades: .

What does a renter look like :dunno: ? Do they wear hats with an "R" on them? Maybe Freemason should sponsor a renter's parade to make them feel special :shok: ??!!??.

That's Freemason for you. Nutty real estate prices for real estate owned by nutty old people :shades: .

What does a renter look like :dunno: ? Do they wear hats with an "R" on them? Maybe Freemason should sponsor a renter's parade to make them feel special :shok: ??!!??.

Archived