2021 INFRA Grants (the grants formerly known as TIGER (and BUILD))

kermit

23 hours ago, kermit said:

Thread title is out of date (again), and I failed to note what Charlotte applied for this year, but...

The 2023 RAISE (the funding formerly known as TIGER) grants have been awarded

NC got:

• Brevard (area) $24.5 million for a 19 mile shared use trail along the former NS tracks
  • Charlotte (Sugar Creek) $12 million for "mobility hubs" a 3.5 mile shared use path and crossing improvements along W. Sugar Creek
  • Raleigh $10 million for a paratransit maintenance facility
  • 12 rural counties (including Rowan): $9 million Various pedestrian improvements (missing sidewalks, crossings, etc.)
  • Lumberton $8.6 million: 2.1 miles of complete streets
  • Chapel Hill: $1 million: Feasibility study for 25 miles of Greenway / Ped infrastructure

While the Sugar Creek project isn't nothing (its gets props for better connecting Hidden Valley to the Blue Line), I am once again dismayed by the lack of ambition and action by the city of Charlotte. Given our growth rates and political significance as the largest urban area in a swing state we really should be doing better in these competitions (IMO). The biggest part of the blame lies with the city, blame also goes to our house and senate members for not advocating on our behalf (but they can only work with what they are given by the city).

I increasingly feel like local micro-transit / ped / bike improvements must be done via guerrilla urbanism (the bus benches were a good start but its time to ramp that up)

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/2023-06/RAISE 2023 Fact Sheets_0.pdf

Edit: This is what I am talking about -->

Street Improvements to Sugar Creek, what about Craighead, Greensboro, and Raleigh Streets because the amount of people I see walking in the middle of the road because either its SO overgrown over the sidewalk or just no sidewalk what so ever.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2023 at 1:52 PM, kermit said:

Thread title is out of date (again), and I failed to note what Charlotte applied for this year, but...

The 2023 RAISE (the funding formerly known as TIGER) grants have been awarded

NC got:

• Brevard (area) $24.5 million for a 19 mile shared use trail along the former NS tracks
  • Charlotte (Sugar Creek) $12 million for "mobility hubs" a 3.5 mile shared use path and crossing improvements along W. Sugar Creek
  • Raleigh $10 million for a paratransit maintenance facility
  • 12 rural counties (including Rowan): $9 million Various pedestrian improvements (missing sidewalks, crossings, etc.)
  • Lumberton $8.6 million: 2.1 miles of complete streets
  • Chapel Hill: $1 million: Feasibility study for 25 miles of Greenway / Ped infrastructure

While the Sugar Creek project isn't nothing (its gets props for better connecting Hidden Valley to the Blue Line), I am once again dismayed by the lack of ambition and action by the city of Charlotte. Given our growth rates and political significance as the largest urban area in a swing state we really should be doing better in these competitions (IMO). The biggest part of the blame lies with the city, blame also goes to our house and senate members for not advocating on our behalf (but they can only work with what they are given by the city).

I increasingly feel like local micro-transit / ped / bike improvements must be done via guerrilla urbanism (the bus benches were a good start but its time to ramp that up)

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/2023-06/RAISE 2023 Fact Sheets_0.pdf

Edit: This is what I am talking about -->

On 6/28/2023 at 4:00 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Charlotte does seem to be getting notably small to no grants the last couple of years. Even compared to various (even small) cities in the Carolina’s.

But exactly what voters have a problem with Charlotte’s trajectory? There’s almost zero upside in cheesing off the vehicle crowd of voters and the voters who would be receptive to such developments are already perfectly happy with the status quo. 

There seems to only be downsides to pursuing more urban infrastructure or ambitious goals or bigger gains in greenway & biking infrastructure until the voters demand it. And we need to expand that pro-urbanity benefits the entire city, not just a couple areas that that average Charlottean doesn’t care about (SouthEnd/Uptown). We can’t have policy based on 30,000 people in a city of over 700,000. Bike infrastructure, sidewalks, Safer crosswalks, more greenways etc benefit everyone from Highland Creek to Steele Creek. Focusing on uptown & SouthEnd is a hobby; not urban policy. 

Im going to have to have to vote as Charlotte voters being the biggest problem followed by the city followed by the state GOP (as I’ve mentioned in other threads, the NC democrats have plans drafted and ready to go to drastically change the course of NC and it’s policies that would infuse billions in mass transit and other pro-urban policies). 

On 6/28/2023 at 3:10 PM, nicholas said:

I feel like that's been a consistent trend for a while now...a general malaise and lack of ambition from the City of Charlotte.  Wasn't there a report not too long ago saying that we're missing like 250 miles worth of sidewalks throughout the city?  It feels almost incomprehensible to be so far behind in that regard, and only land 3.5 miles worth through grants.  Although to be fair the Sugar Creek project will be a significant upgrade for that corridor (even though the multi-use path ends at Tryon St instead of continuing to the Blue Line 🙄, hopefully that last segment will be connected before too long due to all the planned redevelopment). 

I seriously wonder if long-completed projects, such as the East Blvd road diet, would even be considered by current leadership if they hadn't been done previously.  I'm struggling to think of a recent notable infrastructure project other than greenways, and we're still somehow seemingly a long ways off from finally seeing a Rail Trail bridge over 277.

Actually, there were 4 RAISE grant applications applied for within the Charlotte area. This the one mentioned above is the only one awarded to the region.  So the reverse is true, there is an ambition to do more transportation improvements.

However,  when the state of North Carolina has a law prohibition the use of STI funds towards non-vehicular infrastructure i.e., bicycling infrastructure, multiuse paths, and sidewalks then it's kind of difficult for the largest municipality in the state to do much except what it's been actively doing. Remember the Charlotte Department of Transportation (CDOT) is maintaining a much larger infrastructure inventory (in both CoC and unincorporated Mecklenburg  County) which is much more than any entity or jurisdiction in NC.

The irony is the IIJA aka the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act actually mandates that any federally-sourced transportation funds must include non-vehicular infrastructure planning, engineering, & design in any new infrastructure which directly conflicts with NC STI law.  

As I said above, the USDOT will not grant multiple discretionary grants to a region. The fact that we got this one is an amazing feat.

Finally, Congresswoman Adams represents a district that now covers only North and East Charlotte, North Mecklenburg County, most of Cabarrus including Concord and Kannapolis so it's kind of hard to just focus on Charlotte. Remember Jeff Jackson is now a representative in Congress that covers West and South Charlotte along with Steele Creek & all of Eastern Gaston County. Finally, Congresswoman Nikema Williams got those discretionary grant funds for Atlanta Beltline under the Democratically-controlled US House.  Nowadays not so much is as possible. 

Edited by kayman
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, nicholas said:

I remember reading an Axios article a couple weeks back that indicated we have like 100 miles worth of funding for greenway construction through 2030?

This is misleading. Budgets allocate a dollar amount not a mile amount, and they are built by both the county and city. If one or the other runs out of funds from their “pot” then they wont be able to do every mile that is technically “funded”. With cost overruns and inflation I would certainly count on less than a hundred being completed from what is currently funded, and certainly later than 2030 with delays.

Edited by MothBeast

On 1/26/2024 at 12:52 PM, kermit said:

2024 INFRA grants are tricking out (I still have not seen the official list so I might need to eat my words later). It appears that Charlotte (and NC?) completely stuck out on this round of grants. At the risk of being a broken record, I'll say that (IMO) the city / CATS and county (greenways) are really dropping the ball when it comes for putting in grant applications. If staff is too busy for this, I'll suggest that we are pretty significantly understaffed. We are in a time where there is a ton of federal money for infrastructure, we are a swing(ish) state, and a city that is an important beacon in the fastest growing region of the country -- we really should be getting huge chunks of federal largess, but it does not appear that we are asking for it.

EDIT: Julie Eiselt is passing the buck by saying we needed a state match for 'anything worthwhile".  I am not sure on how she is defining 'worthwhile' but this is mostly bullcrap, no state match is required as part of this program. I believe that some of the required local match can be in kind.

image.png.ebb07e4fae65ad1726bb3910b76efa6a.png

https://x.com/JulieEiselt/status/1751050177463370055?s=20

Charlotte did apply for several federal discretionary grants

• Like 1