The Fan / Museum District

whw53

22 hours ago, whw53 said:

@rjp212i wonder if we were at the same show, that was the first time i had been into that spot. i had thought it was an escape room or something..

The experience is not very clear from the website when signing up, but the art experience is kind of interesting.  Love the Blues nights there.

• 4 weeks later...

@RVABizSenseMikehas a good roundup in this morning's RBS of the redevelopment of the former Dominion parcels on Grayland Avenue on/near the southern portion of the old GRTC bus barn. 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/06/developers-pay-15m-for-5-acre-dominion-complex-in-the-fan/

6.21R-Dominion (1).jpg

6.21R-Dominion-2.jpg

20230802_125937-2048x1536.jpg

Screenshot (3363).png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Building Permits have been filed for 3600 Grove Ave.

image.thumb.png.d52d991eaa240a6c498c624ea50fe515.png

YESSSS!!! It looked like it was going to be a fight to get this approved given the NIMBY pushback - but thankfully it sailed through with no problems. Glad to see some actual movement starting to happen on this one. Can't wait for construction to start.

VERY good news indeed.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Good news: the site for the "two dozen townhomes..." is being worked on! The only thing that one would recognize here would be the fence that's been up for years; everything else is new! 

Always love new development when "for sale" housing is in the picture. This will be a strong asset to the fan and RVA housing market!

IMG_7428.jpeg

Where specifically is this being developed?

I’m happy to see this taking off.  
It should be pretty visible from the expressway making that stretch look more updated.  

I’m always happy to see stuff that is actually visible (can one see things that aren’t visible lol) from the highways.  There’re some new houses/condos south of the expressway that are creating a bit of a canyon feel through here. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 9:14 AM, Flood Zone said:

We used to run by there on weekend mornings (before kids). VERY fascinating collection of trash at the base of that pedestrian bridge, as I recall. 

Ugh, a few apartments and all the houses store their trashcans there. I think sometimes houses from further away use it as dumping ground for when renters are moving out. It always gets cleaned out eventually but not until the wind picks up some of it. 

You'll be happy to hear that there is also now a mini lake there where the alley meets the street. It becomes an ice rink after rain and freezing temp! Hopefully they fix that drainage with the new construction happening.

I go by it every day multiple times as I run with my kid and dog and the daycare is in the fan. Love that bridge - it's so RVA in the truest classical sense. 

• Like 1

WRIC-TV8 News is reporting that Richmond's dining scene is about enjoy a blast from the past - a new tea room!

The Pauley Center Parlor at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts will be the home of Floris at VMFA. While it's not downtown, this harkens back to an earlier era enjoyed by our parents' and grandparents' generation when downtown was graced with two wonderful tea rooms - Morton's at 20 W. Franklin and the Miller & Rhoads Tea Room - on the 5th floor of M&R's flagship store on Broad Street. Sadly - these long-standing downtown tea rooms closed in 1991 and 1990 respectively.

I soooooooo love resurrecting the tea room concept. It's one of those cool things that is so "VERY Richmond".

Floris at VMFA is scheduled to open on December 10th.

From WRIC-TV8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/virginia-museum-of-fine-arts-introduces-new-richmond-tearoom-floris/

E202311_TF_001_o4-1.jpg

E202311_TF_002_o4.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting an article with some photos.

I read the headlines and just assumed it was in the subterranean area by the African collection.    There was a tea room there when I was a kid/young adult. 

I love that the public has a reason to go into the Home for Confederate Widows.   I’ve been curious to see inside of there for decades!   I like that it will create a bit of traffic between the two buildings too.   Not to state the obvious but connectivity makes pubic spaces work so much better. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI this is the 24 condo development in the Fan...might as well be considered Byrd Park if it wasn't for the highway - right off the pedestrian bridge. 

From the Byrd Park side of the highway, the condos are coming up nicely through the freshly cut/trimmed highway trees.

Great use of the land. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/19/two-dozen-townhomes-planned-for-dominion-owned-site-near-the-fan/

highway condos fan.jpg

Speaking of the parking lot area, I drove by the adjacent (formerly owned by Dominion) lots where they demo'd old dominion offices and I see stacks of 2x4s sitting. Can anyone dig up and see if this fell under our radar - it's right off of Robinson across from the Casque bar. Maybe they're just using it for storage for another project?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/06/developers-pay-15m-for-5-acre-dominion-complex-in-the-fan/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

FYI this is the 24 condo development in the Fan...might as well be considered Byrd Park if it wasn't for the highway - right off the pedestrian bridge. 

From the Byrd Park side of the highway, the condos are coming up nicely through the freshly cut/trimmed highway trees.

Great use of the land. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/19/two-dozen-townhomes-planned-for-dominion-owned-site-near-the-fan/

highway condos fan.jpg

Speaking of the parking lot area, I drove by the adjacent (formerly owned by Dominion) lots where they demo'd old dominion offices and I see stacks of 2x4s sitting. Can anyone dig up and see if this fell under our radar - it's right off of Robinson across from the Casque bar. Maybe they're just using it for storage for another project?

Looking good! Glad to see things up and running on this development.

Oh - and you know the drill. Mazal Tov!

image.png.04e2673cf1093d5141f8c356fc81f3c4.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...