The District at Midtown

I did not see an actual post for this development so I figured I would add one. The new site has a name and website though the final plans apparently are not 100%, demolition is currently in process on the old Sears and Sears Automotive Center.  I know in the past there was speculation that a grocery store and small shopping center might go there. The latest I have found says its a nearly 30-acre space that will be divided into 15 lots for restaurants and shops, with plans for two four-story hotels. No buildings in this project will be bigger than 7,800 sq.ft. Does not look like any of the lots will be big enough to support anything very large. 

Development website:  https://shopcompanies.com/properties/district-midtown

So any ideas what might go here? I know on one of the other post it was mentioned that a Raising Cane's might go here. 

-R

Edited by SangreRaVen

Yeah, I think its a good ways off from the original rumored plans... but I believe that is kind of what happened with Park Avenue as well.. They had plans for this larger development and then ppl starting complaining saying there was not enough walking areas for pedestrians and that the development was too big and would cause traffic and crime ect ect.. To me it seems like its just going to be another strip mall of retail which is basically nail salons... hair salons.. a mattress store.. maybe a small gym.. a few repeat restaurants and then two hotels.. seems to be the basic template for a lot of stuff round here sadly. 

-R 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have done some looking but sadly nothing so far, work is still proceeding on demolishing the old Sears building. Oddly enough, the medical tower on the main lot that had been vacated and was going to be demolished as part of this project appears to have a for lease sign hanging from it. 

-R

On 4/8/2019 at 5:58 AM, SangreRaVen said:

I have done some looking but sadly nothing so far, work is still proceeding on demolishing the old Sears building. Oddly enough, the medical tower on the main lot that had been vacated and was going to be demolished as part of this project appears to have a for lease sign hanging from it. 

-R

What?  I thought it was demolished already.  

Here's a photo of the ASO building from February 22.  

ASO.jpg

Edited by Arkanzin
Insert Media

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drove past yesterday and noticed they are finally filling in a lot of the large holes in the ground from the demo. Hopefully that means they will be starting on the building process soon, the website still does not have anything posted about what is coming or when anything is slated to open. 

-R

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Walls99 said:

Have there been any confirmed tenants for this development (other than the reasonable speculation of a Raising Cane's)?

Good question, but in a related note, a notable investment group bought the adjacent 1960's era, mid-rise Doctor's Office Building and the (new) west office building...they plan significant investments/updates to the original building.

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 3:18 PM, SangreRaVen said:

that is pretty much how it has been for a few months, they have not started construction on anything really. Just mostly pushing dirt around and a few drainage bits put in. 

-R

I would say that the pushing dirt around and a few drainage bits is probably pretty important.  The site was originally meant for one main building and an outparcel. But now going to several buildings with several outparcels. So getting the site work done right is a good thing for sure. From what I understand the developer is having a bit of a tougher go trying to fill up the center. The center buildings with apartments above at Park Avenue were incredibly difficult to fill for the original developer. So I’m sure there’s a bit of work there in midtown. However Raisin’ Canes going up is a good sign of things to come but I wouldn’t expect anything to come out of this center to form quickly. 

• Like 1

I would say that the pushing dirt around and a few drainage bits is probably pretty important.  The site was originally meant for one main building and an outparcel. But now going to several buildings with several outparcels. So getting the site work done right is a good thing for sure. From what I understand the developer is having a bit of a tougher go trying to fill up the center. The center buildings with apartments above at Park Avenue were incredibly difficult to fill for the original developer. So I’m sure there’s a bit of work there in midtown. However Raisin’ Canes going up is a good sign of things to come but I wouldn’t expect anything to come out of this center to form quickly. 

I would have thought that site would be ideal for at least one large scale retailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I know its important :) they have been doing that for several months though. If they are having issues filling up the center though that might explain why they are moving slower on this other underground work. No reason to do it too fast until you are fully sure what is being done and when its needed by. Otherwise you will end up like the three retail strips down Chenal that are sitting empty but are fully completed and ready for businesses to lease. 

-R

-R

Edited by SangreRaVen