The Walk on Union | $950M mixed-use development proposed for Downtown

VSRJ

On 1/4/2024 at 7:26 AM, Memphisborn said:

Hopefully that type of investment would include a Hotel as well as other facilities.  The vacant lot where the clipper was planned is also a location where development for the Grizzlies could happen 

I agree. I expect we will be hearing something more detailed about this real soon. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:11 AM, MDC26 said:

The Clippers will open their new arena next season at a price tag of $2 Billion.  From what I've read, they plan to gut the interior of FEF and complete reconfigure the seating.  Not sure what else is planned.  

Isn't that what the Pacers are doing  with their arena and it's like a $350 price tag?  I haven't seen the renderings for the Clippers arena, but I will have to check those out. Next time I am in LA, I am going to go and look at what they're building. 

On 1/5/2024 at 3:25 PM, JTM1 said:

Isn't that what the Pacers are doing  with their arena and it's like a $350 price tag?  I haven't seen the renderings for the Clippers arena, but I will have to check those out. Next time I am in LA, I am going to go and look at what they're building. 

Clippers' Intuit Dome

Intuit Dome, Inglewood, California, USA

Details of LA Clippers' Intuit Dome Halo Board Revealed - Sports  Illustrated LA Clippers News, Analysis and More

Intuit Dome - A partnership with the LA Clippers

The Pacers didn't completely gut their seating.  They did remove some boxes, and changed them around to other premium seating, amongst other things.  They also tore down a parking garage in front of the arena, and are putting in a plaza.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/10/17/In-Depth/Gainbridge-Fieldhouse.aspx

$550 million is a lot, and it very well could include something outside of the arena on an adjacent lot.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Clippers' Intuit Dome

Details of LA Clippers' Intuit Dome Halo Board Revealed - Sports  Illustrated LA Clippers News, Analysis and More

The Pacers didn't completely gut their seating.  They did remove some boxes, and changed them around to other premium seating, amongst other things.  They also tore down a parking garage in front of the arena, and are putting in a plaza.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/10/17/In-Depth/Gainbridge-Fieldhouse.aspx

$550 million is a lot, and it very well could include something outside of the arena on an adjacent lot.  

Yes hopefully there will be surrounding developments, retail, dining, entertainment, Hotel. A outdoor gathering place with amphitheater would be a nice addition, Robert Church park would be a great location for that, existing infrastructure in place add food truck park and u have a great pregame gathering location especially come playoff time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes hopefully there will be surrounding developments, retail, dining, entertainment, Hotel. A outdoor gathering place with amphitheater would be a nice addition, Robert Church park would be a great location for that, existing infrastructure in place add food truck park and u have a great pregame gathering location especially come playoff time.

We also need some statues around the arena .  Those that we have retired their jerseys.  A Z-bo statue.  Soon to be Grindfather, Conley, and Gasol statues.  

• Like 3

On 1/8/2024 at 11:20 AM, MDC26 said:

Clippers' Intuit Dome

I love this design. Thank you for posting this rendering.  I found a video of the Clippers arena, but it was more like a commercial. 

I am excited to see what they have planned and I hope they give us some idea of their plans soon. I was at FedEx Forum last night and I still don't see where they plan to spend $550 million in the bowl of the arena. I also noticed the 901FC owners have gone quiet and are stacking their roster too. 

Edited by JTM1

5 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I am excited to see what they have planned and I hope they give us some idea of their plans soon. I was at FedEx Forum last night and I still don't see where they plan to spend $550 million in the bowl of the arena. I also noticed the 901FC owners have gone quiet and are stacking their roster too. 

If anything, the renovations to the Forum and the surrounding area around it will likely mimic what was recently completed over at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis (which the Forum was largely based off of when it was first being conceived), and may or may not include some potential redevelopments along Beale Street (i.e., a potential Hard Rock Hotel on the Pat O'Brien's/Jerry Lee Lewis site).

I still believe 901FC would best be served having their new stadium located in close proximity to downtown as opposed to Liberty Park, and hopefully a resolution can be had some time this year to satisfy their needs as well as those of the Redbirds in order to keep the both of them here long-term.

Side note: I think this discussion should be moved over to the Memphis Sports thread.

Edited by James Owen
  • Like 1