Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There will be retail flanking the Plaza facing Tryon and facing tryon itself within the future development. There will also be retail flanking the pedestrian promenade, and along Church, stonewall and Mint.

Will retail expansion be a very traditional design as well? I can't picture a more contemporary retail environment around this. I thinking it will be Phillips Place or Birkdale Village style of architecture. 

• Like 1

Just now, CLT2014 said:

Will retail expansion be a very traditional design as well? I can't picture a more contemporary retail environment around this. I thinking it will be Phillips Place or Birkdale Village style of architecture. 

Its Lincoln Harris, so probably. 

Based on sizes of the future development pad. I'd imagine Hill and Tryon will be hotel, and Stonewall and Tryon will be residential. Mint and "Hill (onramp) will be residential. I'd imagine Stonewall and Mint will be biggest retail component topped with residential and a smaller scale office tower. 

Given Lincoln Harris classical design I would say something like a Phillips Place look at their projects around town Capitol Towers, Rotunda the new Rea Farms village all very timeless.  

I have a collection of towers renderings never built around town like the 80 story First Union Tower or Gellmans space needle project on North Tryon. How about the original 300 South Tryon tower with condos on top? (and I like the current 300 South Tryon design by the way)  I want something built and filled with office workers and this is a good design maybe not your taste but it is driven somewhat by what an anchor tenant wants too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Given Lincoln Harris classical design I would say something like a Phillips Place look at their projects around town Capitol Towers, Rotunda the new Rea Farms village all very timeless.  

I have a collection of towers renderings never built around town like the 80 story First Union Tower or Gellmans space needle project on North Tryon. How about the original 300 South Tryon tower with condos on top? (and I like the current 300 South Tryon design by the way)  I want something built and filled with office workers and this is a good design maybe not your taste but it is driven somewhat by what an anchor tenant wants too. 

You have a rendering of the Space Needle!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I need that ASAP. I went through the damn observer archives looking for that.

Edited by Guest

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You have a rendering of the Space Needle!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I need that ASAP. I went through the damn observer archives looking for that.

In my mind I do. It looked like the space needle and was proposed where the Transamerica building was going to be on 400 North Tryon. I remember cutting it out of the observer thinking wow I can't wait! 

• Like 1

Just now, KJHburg said:

In my mind I do. It looked like the space needle and was proposed where the Transamerica building was going to be on 400 North Tryon. I remember cutting it out of the observer thinking wow I can't wait! 

Yea I know all about it. Just never seen it

3 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Is Lincoln Harris going to develop the rest of the property or do you think he'll subdivide the property and sale it off for someone else to develop?  Also, is there going to be any retail in the parking deck?

14,200 sq feet of retail in the parking deck. 

I'm wondering if all the retail is going to be single level (outdoor outlet style) or if there is going to be any multilevel retail structures (think epicentre).  Just thinking ahead and with the dwindling amount of surface lots disappearing (good thing), I'm just imagining this place booming before/after panthers games (capacity to handle large crowds).  Like others have said, it's hard to tell with just the grass plots surrounding the tower.  I have no doubt though if they do this right, will become a very popular destination, not only for game day but throughout the week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HopHead said:

If you look at the approved plans from 1/11 closely, the top of the pyramid is actually 677' feet tall, not 588'... I actually like the design. Yea, it's more classic and doesn't have a wow factor, but it's a nice break from all glass. The placement is a little weird to me as others mentioned. Will be interesting to see how the remaining parcels fill out. Kind of on an island by itself for the first phase.

That sounds amazing 677', but couldn't that include below ground levels?

1 minute ago, HopHead said:

If you look at the approved plans from 1/11 closely, the top of the pyramid is actually 677' feet tall, not 588'... I actually like the design. Yea, it's more classic and doesn't have a wow factor, but it's a nice break from all glass. The placement is a little weird to me as others mentioned. Will be interesting to see how the remaining parcels fill out. Kind of on an island by itself for the first phase.

2 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Guys, don't get excited. The Street Level elevation starts at 89 and goes to 677. Hence our 588. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've been waiting for you guys to hate this. Just wait until you see the new Tryon Place Design, woof. Sadly the Northwood Ravin apartment tower might be the best looking tower coming. 

Preparing myself to be disappointed (or outraged) by new Crescent renderings.  I really like what NR is doing.  This thing sucks...I would rather have a surface parking lot for the next 5 years than have this monstrosity in such a prime location.  I literally like nothing about this design.  EXTREMELY disappointed.

31 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

At the very least I look forward to its practical application.  It's obviously being built to form some sort of sentinel guard system, using the power of the sun and those stupid glass focal devices that sit on Tryon in order to alleviate traffic on 277:

5877b2daa90ea_620STryonsiteplan.thumb.GIF.4957c28d4aa75108c83e2ef1e10371cb.GIF5877b2d20adc6_620STryon.thumb.GIF.646294818b44425bdbdfa4d293620388.GIF

Reminds me of an old Star Trek dealing with an asteroid deflector!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niner National said:

Renderings make it look like stucco or some other value engineered facade to me, which we know it won't be. I think this will be one of the few that looks better in real life than the rendering.

That said, I'm disappointed. I don't hate it, but I don't like it.

I'd dearly love the occasion to warm up to it.