Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I love Dana Craig's review regarding Texas De Brazil

Forgive me, dear readers, for I have sinned. I've succumbed to the carnivorous nectar of a chain restaurant. And I liked it. A lot.

All I can say is Texas de Brazil isn't any chain. It's the Magic Kingdom of chains, where every culinary wish is granted as long as your stomach (and wallet) can withstand the never-ending onslaught of comestible temptations.

An upscale and highly choreographed version of the traditional South American churrascaria, Texas de Brazil blends churrasco (skewered meats grilled over an open flame) with rodizio (prix fixe dining where sword-carrying "gauchos" carve said meat directly onto diners' plates until they beg for mercy).

Mercy comes in the form of a color-coded disc -- red side meaning "Not now," green meaning "Bring it on."

An endless meat parade of spicy Brazilian sausage, tender lamb, filet mignon, beef and pork ribs, succulent lamp chops, and chicken wrapped in bacon or encrusted with Parmesan ensues.

As if this isn't enough, there's a 40-plus-item "salad bar" overflowing with tender grilled asparagus, artichoke bottoms, fried provolone, manchego, hearts of palm, black beans, lobster bisque . . . and delicately seared tuna, shrimp bathed in tangy, pepper-studded cocktail sauce, smoked salmon and crisp, thick-cut bacon.

Dizzying, I know. However, this celebration of excess does get carried away. Can someone explain why I'd want to ingest potato salad, sushi and goat cheese simultaneously?

Limitless options don't come cheap. Dinner costs $42.99 per person; the salad bar only is $29.99.

Jazzy advertisements on the beeper and the menu's first page encourage adding a la carte items -- shrimp cocktail ($9.99), Australian lobster tail (market price, $23.50) -- for a more fulfilling tab, er, dining experience.

Despite its unique concept, Texas de Brazil can't hide its chainness, albeit upscale chainness. The restaurant is at Regency Square, and its fa

Nice post. I guess my two friends that work there are the "singsongy hostesses" :rolleyes:

I'll be giving that place a visit next week, so expect me to post my impressions.

Also, I would like some suggestions from you folks. I'll be eating lunch with a group of 4 or 5 or so for lunch on a Monday afternoon, and I'm trying to think of some good places to take them. The requirements are that it is in biking distance of VCU, has decent vegetarian options, and is open on a MONDAY. What suggestions do you folks have?

I feel like I should be posting this in the 'Name that restaurant' quiz thread.... hah.

Nice post. I guess my two friends that work there are the "singsongy hostesses" :rolleyes:

I'll be giving that place a visit next week, so expect me to post my impressions.

Also, I would like some suggestions from you folks. I'll be eating lunch with a group of 4 or 5 or so for lunch on a Monday afternoon, and I'm trying to think of some good places to take them. The requirements are that it is in biking distance of VCU, has decent vegetarian options, and is open on a MONDAY. What suggestions do you folks have?

I feel like I should be posting this in the 'Name that restaurant' quiz thread.... hah.

BP. why don't you try CHEZ FOUSHEE with your lunch crowd? It is open on Mondays, has veggy options, provides excellent service and is a feast for the eyes. It's on the n/e corner of Grace and Foushee. Reservations are not required, but if your group is as large as five, it might be a good idea. Call: 804/648-3225. It is an easy 10 block bicycle pedal to Shaffer and Franklin.

Incidentally, generally open for lunch only, CHEZ FUSHEE does serve dinner on First Fridays (tomorrow) from 5:30PM 'til 10PM.

dklee, thanks for posting Dana's review of TEXAS DE BRAZIL. I'm posting it again here because I want to remind readers from out-of-town, like myself, to access the accompanying slide show.

And dklee, Dana gives the place three and a half stars -- that 1/2 less than top rating.

Our friend and contributor, JonBeattie, gave his impressions of this restaurant recently, and we can look forward to BP's upcoming appraisal, as well.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...mesdispatch.com

Edited by burt

Oh, my gosh. Now I know this is a chain, and god forbid, allll the way out here in the West End...BUT...I went out to dinner at CRACKER BARREL and loved it. The meals were in huge, satisfying proportions, and the desserts had the taste of a grandmas cooking with tender lovin' care. I would recommend breakfast, lunch or dinner there. Of course this was dinner and dessert (for four) and came in just under $58. Not including the $12 tip, for the amazing wait staff.

Edited by TBurban

Oh, my gosh. Now I know this is a chain, and god forbid, allll the way out here in the West End...BUT...I went out to dinner at CRACKER BARREL and loved it. The meals were in huge, satisfying proportions, and the desserts had the taste of a grandmas cooking with tender lovin' care. I would recommend breakfast, lunch or dinner there. Of course this was dinner and dessert (for four) and came in just under $58. Not including the $12 tip, for the amazing wait staff.

How about a little more info on CRACKER BARREL, Tommy -- such as its location? :)

How about a little more info on CRACKER BARREL, Tommy -- such as its location? :)

Ah, here we go...

3620 Mayland Court (near the Circuit City HQ)

Richmond VA 23233

(804) 290-0713

Oh, and this is the new one that had just opened a couple weeks ago.

Edited by TBurban

My friends and I nabbed a red pizza, white pizza, tiramisu, and this fried rice cheeseball from 8.5 on Strawberry St. yesterday. We took it to picnic on Belle Isle, and by the time we got there, it was fairly cold. Nevertheless, 8.5 was just as spectacular as the food from Ed Vasaio's other creations. The fried rice ball was tender and deliciously unique, the pizzas simple and extremely flavorful (even cold!), and the tiramisu got me so tanked that I almost passed out next to this homeless guy on Belle Isle.

On that windy Saturday, Belle Isle was just as historic, trashy, and fun as usual.... just like the rest of Richmond.

Edited by BreakfastPills

Although the BOTTOMS UP planned for Newport News did not materialize due to misunderstandings with the land lord, the company is planning major expansion. Read Greg Gilliagan's column from today Richmond TimesDispatch:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...sPN=%21business

Still awaiting Coupe's report on TARRANTS. :)

BP, did you settle on a restaurant for your luncheon with VCU cycling friends today?

Bottoms Up is still really kicking off, though.

Due to time constraints, we just ended up meeting them up at World Cup on N Morris St right by campus. I wasn't disappointed considering the main focus of the event wasn't to experience gourmet dining, it was a friendly businessish meeting. And World Cup met the need perfectly, as just a spot where you can stop in, get some "light fare," and chat for as long as you need... and it's obviously a perfect spot for a VCU student/professor to grab a cheap lunch or study since it has free WiFi and even a computer inside!

I had some modest portabello quiche which was decent, nothing transcendental of expectations. ALso had some Mate Tiramisu tea, and added a little bit of honey by employee's advice which was also just decent. Check for myself was about 6 bucks. World Cup is what it is, and it isn't Starbucks. ^_^

I had an amazing experience at Millie's Diner last night, which I'll describe that in a later post

Okay, so Friday night I checked out Tarrant's with the gf....

Richmond3-5-2007001.jpg

I didn't really know what to expect, but I had heard it was a pretty good experience. Anyways, I thought it was great! It's definitely a very cozy experience given the small (and narrow!) layout of the restaurant. The place was packed, but luckily we were given a booth in the rear of the restaurant. Had a late lunch on Friday so we didn't get an appetizer. For the main course, I ordered the tuna melt with some potato salad on the side. It was amazing huge! It's served open-faced on english muffin, and was topped with a fresh slice of tomato, topped with cheddar cheese. I'm not really a fan of tomatoes like that, but I scarfed it down, so that tells you something! Potato salad was good too. Did I mention it was only like $5.95?!

The gf had a Chili Wrap... yeah chili in a wrap with lettuce, cheese, etc. It was surprisingly good and not that messy... they have a really thick chili so it stayed intact pretty well. Only thing about the chili was that it had a faint taste of cinnamon or something sweet like that. Different, but not necessarily negative. That was only like $6.95

For desert, it was a hot walnut brownie drizzled with chocolate syrup surrounded by scoops of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. It was actually pretty good, and again only about $4.

All told, my total before the tip was only like $21! I never imagined we'd get out of there spending so little. (didn't by anything alcoholic, so that would bump the price up obviously).

It's a great atmosphere and it seems to be doing very well. The owner was walking around talking to guests and brought us our dessert. Most items on the menu are $10 and under, though some of their specialties that have an emphasis on seafood were higher... nothing over 18 or 19 bucks though.

All in all, Tarrant's is a great addition to Broad Street's growing arts district and complements the other dining options nearby nicely.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I posted a few days ago about a great experience I had at Millie's Diner, but I didn't go into any detail. Well, on Sunday, Millie's became a music venue hosting the folk artists Loius Ledford and Robert Blake. My friends and I actually had the opportunity to sit down and share a Legend brown ale with Robert Blake, so we sat and chatted with him before the music started.

Anyway, it was a $5 cover charge which ALSO included all-you-can-eat mussels, spicy jimbalaya, biscuits and both vegan and meat gravy, collard greens, this delicious cheesebread, and some other items that I'm not remembering at the moment. If anyone has ever been to Millie's, they know how seriously they take their food, and it showed even in their mass-produced $5 fare! It was ALL very delicious, and the show was great. I hope events like this happen more often at Millie's.

img1239ba6.jpg

Anyway, I have reservations for Texas De Brazil at 5pm. I'll post my impressions later on.

Has anyone tried Helen's in the last six months? Thoughts?

Wasn't it about six months ago that the big cat fight occurred at HELEN's? There was a rather loud dispute between the chef and the owner (both ladies) so I heard. But I think it was peacefully resolved and HELEN's has gotten good grades for its laid back atmosphere and terrific menu.

And welcome 'Northsider'. Hope you'll visit and contribute often.

From a TD editorial:

Taste of Success

How's this for an urban renewal plan?

Find a slightly run-down corner in downtown Richmond.

Open up a Cajun restaurant, serve great food, make sure your customers know you're delighted to see them every time they walk in the door, and, if the weather warms a bit, drag a keyboard onto the sidewalk and treat the neighborhood to some good-time N'awlins-style blues.

That's just what the folks at Louisiana Flair did, and they've been packing them in on East Grace Street for several months.

Full disclosure: The restaurant is right across the street from The Times-Dispatch's downtown building and it's often filled with newspaper folk.

News people may not enjoy a reputation for sophisticated palates, but in this case, we've discovered a jewel, so why keep it secret?

Sometimes the best solutions come in small bites. In this case, a rich gumbo of free enterprise, culinary artistry, and exuberant optimism are bringing new life to a once-quiet corner of downtown.

link