Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Not yet. My next stop will probably be Magiano's, where I don't expect to see him. I've got $15 worth of coupons there. I've got to budget my money for the next month or so, so I probably won't go anywhere particularly nice for at least the next two weeks. I might head to Julep's this monday though.

Edited by mclawsdrive

I should mention that I tried out Sticky Togogo and found it to be very worrthwhile. The place is only 2 blocks south and 1.5 blocks west of my house. I just stopped by Rennies on the way back for some good beer and had a great feast for two with 24 beers (plenty to spare) for 50 bucks. Try doing that at Sticky Rice.

Way to go, burt! :thumbsup:

Premature praise, Steve. I flunked on Richmond/Economy/Real Estate thread just now. :cry:

Now dammit! I clicked quick edit because I had put an extra letter in "Resal" Estate, and just watch! When I hit add reply, it's going to tell the whole world!

Edited by burt

There is a story in today's TD about former restaurant owner Michael Ripp and others facing confrontations with the city over back taxes.

As far as I can determine, Ripp's former properties, Havana 59, O'Brienstein's and City Bar and Chop House are now under new and different ownership -- and two of them have new names: O'Brienstein's is now ROSIE CONNELLEY'S PUB while the former Chop House, under ownership of Mr. Napier, is now known simply as OLD CITY BAR. Napier may be somewhat hampered by the similarity of its new name with the old. Mr. Ripp, with his vast restaurant experience, may be a consultant to one or more of these properties.

These restaurants went thru Hell overcoming perceptions of permanent closure after remanants of Hurricane Gaston dumped 14 inches of rain on The Bottom.

HAVANA 59 is flourishing under new management.

OLD CITY BAR under Mr. Napier is fast establishing itself as one of the city's prime and sought after eating places.

ROSIE CONNELLEY's PUB is the most authentic ale house in town and it's owner/bartender/host will charm and delight.

Support The Bottom! :alc::yahoo:

These restaurants are alive, thriving and awaiting your patronage.

Re: PASTA LUNA....Dana's complaints range from staff surliness, uninformative entree descriptions, temperature variations, substitutions and careless preparations.

I ate there back in the summer, and I'd have to agree that it was not as good as my previous visits. The food was good, but it just didn't seem to have that same pizzaz that I was used to.

My biggest beef however was, indeed, the surliness of the staff. It seemed that about 90% of them were very sullen Russian kids who apparently have no concept of customer service. In previous visits, the staff had been wonderfully attentive and friendly. Not so for this visit.

My wife and I usually like to linger and have some extra wine. On this trip, we just couldn't wait to get the check and leave.

Edited by Culpeper Hokie

Burt, you are correct... i haven't had time to go by DD33 but Michele Stuchell at Richmond.com wrote up a review of DD33...

DD33 Review

When East Meets West

Our restaurant critic tried the West End's new Dd33, which boasts Asian-influenced New American cuisine.

Michele Stuchell Richmond.com

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Unashamedly, I love Asian food. The aromas of garlic, ginger and soy highlighting succulent seafood, tender meats and crisp vegetables make me salivate every time. The hardest decision for me to make is which Asian cuisine am I in the mood for and which place to try? Chinese? Thai? Vietnamese? Korean? Naturally, I was dying to try Dd33, the newest addition to Richmond's Asian restaurant scene.

Featuring what they call "Asian-influenced New American cuisine," owners David and Dick Du have created a very chi chi restaurant in the very suburban Shoppes at Twin Oaks in the far west end near Cox and Broad Streets. The Dus are no novices when it comes to Richmond restaurants. Father Dick is a partner in three Pizzeria Unos and is the owner of the several Peking restaurants throughout the region. Son David was trained at Johnson & Wales in Providence, Rhode Island and has restaurant experience from New York, Connecticut and, of course, his Richmond home.

Dd33's contemporary d

I should mention that I tried out Sticky Togogo and found it to be very worrthwhile. The place is only 2 blocks south and 1.5 blocks west of my house. I just stopped by Rennies on the way back for some good beer and had a great feast for two with 24 beers (plenty to spare) for 50 bucks. Try doing that at Sticky Rice.

McLaw, isn't STICKY TOGOGO in the former Mainly Pasta space across from Mr. (ahem cough cough) Y's popular STICKY RICE?

I went to Tarrant's Cafe recently--the whole experience was extremely nice and the atmosphere is cozy, too! I had broiled rockfish in a white wine and butter sauce along with the cheddar cheese and broccoli soup and fresh mozarella and tomato's as an appetizer. Everything was great from presentation to portion size to taste. The waitstaff was friendly as well. One thing I will note--they do not offer many entrees at the moment. So, if you go expect to see about 7-8 of them, but a whole lot of soup/sandwiches/wraps/salads. The prices are extremely reasonable!

I ate there back in the summer, and I'd have to agree that it was not as good as my previous visits. The food was good, but it just didn't seem to have that same pizzaz that I was used to.

My biggest beef however was, indeed, the surliness of the staff. It seemed that about 90% of them were very sullen Russian kids who apparently have no concept of customer service. In previous visits, the staff had been wonderfully attentive and friendly. Not so for this visit.

My wife and I usually like to linger and have some extra wine. On this trip, we just couldn't wait to get the check and leave.

I'd have to agree on Pasta Luna. I went there last night and while it was good, it just didn't come close to my favorite italian place (Edo's Squid). I'd even go as far as arguing that Pasta Luna is overpriced in comparison.

McLaw, isn't STICKY TOGOGO in the former Mainly Pasta space across from Mr. (ahem cough cough) Y's popular STICKY RICE?

Yes, that is correct, Burt.

I went to Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant at 6004 West Broad on Saturday night. There was a 25 minute wait. Significant, considering how big the place is. We were supposed to be meeting my old roomie and her new boyfriend, but she had a small jeans/big butt crisis and ending up bailing on us. I did enjoy the chicken and beef platter, which allowed me to roll my own spring rolls. Funny, I've never rolled spring rolls before but my ingrained habits from college served me well (like riding a bicycle) :blush: I also enjoyed the huge selection of Belgian beers. Another pleasant surprise was the crab and asparagus soup, with a typical thick broth (great for a sore throat) and white asparagus. Even though I didn't notice the typical strong asparagus taste, it still made my pee smell funny. :rofl:

Jon Baliles on his blog called River City Rapids speaks on an issue before the General Assembly to ease food sale requirements for vineyard wine sellers in their establishments. He suggest that this may be the beginning of more rational regulations in restaurants/bars across the Commonwealth. Present laws require that alcohol sales not exceed 50% of gross revenue. I agree with Baliles. It's a pretty archaic regulation and should be modified.

Agreed. All the current law does is force restaurant owners to get creative with their books. Its just a stupid rule. There are some establishments that have crappy food but are a great spot for socializing over a few drinks. If I had a bar, I'd sell beer battered lime slices for $3-5. There would be one slice per order, covered in 12-16 ounces of pure beer. :alc:

Style's Deveron Timberlake tells us today that Jack McGrath, former comptroller of Tobacco Company, will be opening his very own place next week.

It is called JJ McFARLEY's at 10298 Staples Mill Road and will be managed by Larry Newth. The 130-seat non-smoking space with a horseshoe bar and equine decor will feature bistro-style dishes inspired by Chef Norman Alford, all under $16. Dinner is served nightly and lunch is expected to be offered starting next month.

I would guess from the 5-digit address, JJ McFARLEY's is pretty far out on Staples Mill. No phone contact was listed in Style.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CROAKER's SPOT, at the corner of 2nd and Leigh Streets, has said it will expand into a patio for nice weather behind renovated town houses that face Leigh Street. I don't know if that has happened, but Deveron says that owner Neverett Eggleston III will shortly open ON RYE DELICATESSEN a few doors south on 2nd Street next to the Hippodrome. The space enjoyed a short life as a unique coffee house called Dose.

ON RYE DELI will offer Reubens, sailors and vegetarian sandwiches as well as daily specials. Beers and wines will be available, and a side patio (I believe in the space between ORD and the Hipp) will provide seating on occasions for about twelve. (When Dose operated there I believe it had seating on the 2nd floor, and maybe ON RYE will, too).

Opening is scheduled for March.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of CROAKER's SPOT, which is still doing excellent business after six years, Style still has a former CROAKER's off-shoot among downtown restaurant listings. MR. BOJANGLES occupied the 3-level space in 6th Street Marketplace at 550 East Marshall. But last I checked, it had vacated the premises. Perhaps I am mistaken and it has reopened, but I wish someone would check out the space.

Also among downtown listings is FU KIM at 515 East Main. That address is on the property owned by the Goodstein company preparing to start construction on Centennial Towers shortly. I thought I had read the Chinese restaurant had closed, but again, I could be wrong.

Style doesn't have a restaurant reveiw this week; if so, I can't find it online.

Last week there was a "story" by Catherine Baab about a neighborhood bar/restaurant west of Parham at 8923 Patterson Avenue. It is called ROSE MARIE INN and sounds like a neat place. Tel. 804/740-4174.

Style's Deveron Timberlake tells us today that Jack McGrath, former comptroller of Tobacco Company, will be opening his very own place next week.

It is called JJ McFARLEY's at 10298 Staples Mill Road and will be managed by Larry Newth. The 130-seat non-smoking space with a horseshoe bar and equine decor will feature bistro-style dishes inspired by Chef Norman Alford, all under $16. Dinner is served nightly and lunch is expected to be offered starting next month.

I would guess from the 5-digit address, JJ McFARLEY's is pretty far out on Staples Mill. No phone contact was listed in Style.

Interesting. That's the old Bellagio's spot. It has been vacant for almost a year, and was stripped down sometime several months ago.

Thank you, nhughes, and I'm glad you are joining us. Your comments are welcome always.

Bellagio's did not last very long, did it? It saddens me when a restaurant (or any business) goes belly up. All the dreams and hopes die with it. I hope Bellagio's owners find success in their next venture -- whatever it might be.