Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

The night I went to hear Hanny at HITW, there was a full house and one very drunk customer at the bar. Someone or something crossed him and he picked up a bar stoll and crashed it thru the glass front door. But, happily, the show went on. :)

A drunk customer at the HITW bar? Sounds like a typical night! That's the only place in town I've ever seen a band (The Makers, from Seattle) start a fight (which turned into a brawl, complete with pepper spray) with club staff. Ah, memories.

Sunday is Father's Day, and if Pop is a cigar afficianato, take him to HAVANA 59 for a smoke and meal. If the smoke bothers you, escape to one of the upper open air levels for a breath of fresh air (and a snort!)

I assume HAVANA 59 is open on Sundays. Can anyone verify it? Surely they wouldn't turn away Dads on their special day.

Edited by burt

One of the more tunnel-visioned posters on the other site claims that JULIAN'S was done in because it couldn't afford to pay the meal tax. Seems odd since there are more restaurants operating within the City Limits than ever.

JULIAN'S West Broad Street location reportedly is to be converted by new owners into a three-level gay dance club.

Our friend and fellow-poster Mclawsdrive is negotiating with Mo owner of the fashionable new BANK Restaurant 1005 E. Main Street over an upcoming appearance by Mclaw and his band.

Keep us posted, Mclaw.

Meanwhile, the band will play Cary Street Cafe (Cary and Mulberry) tonight, June 9th.

Edited by burt

One of the more tunnel-visioned posters on the other site claims that JULIAN'S was done in because it couldn't afford to pay the meal tax.

Don is neither tunnel-visioned, nor the originator of that claim. The Times-Dispatch article announcing the restaurant's closing said "the West Broad Street location filed for bankruptcy protection in December 2004 because of mounting debt stemming from a city meals-tax payment dispute. " Their horrible food no doubt contributed to their issues, but there are lots of thriving places which have horrible food...

Edited by BGW

Don is neither tunnel-visioned, nor the originator of that claim. The Times-Dispatch article announcing the restaurant's closing said "the West Broad Street location filed for bankruptcy protection in December 2004 because of mounting debt stemming from a city meals-tax payment dispute. " Their horrible food no doubt contributed to their issues, but there are lots of thriving places which have horrible food...

...and better business management.

And our definitions of tunnel vision are at a great variance.

Meanwhile, what is your opinion of Velvet's management establishing a gay club at the former Julian's?

Edited by burt

And our definitions of tunnel vision are at a great variance.

Just because Don views the VAPAF and the political breaks its been offered with utmost suspicion (as do I) doesn't mean he has tunnel vision.

Meanwhile, what is your opinion of Velvet's management establishing a gay club at the former Julian's?

Fielden's is right up the street, and there's another reasonably new gay club at Broad & Boulevard, yet somehow traditional marriage and heterosexuality doesn't seem to be on the decline. I'd much rather see a place I'll never patronize in this space than an empty shell or a parking lot.

Just because Don views the VAPAF and the political breaks its been offered with utmost suspicion (as do I) doesn't mean he has tunnel vision.

Fielden's is right up the street, and there's another reasonably new gay club at Broad & Boulevard, yet somehow traditional marriage and heterosexuality doesn't seem to be on the decline. I'd much rather see a place I'll never patronize in this space than an empty shell or a parking lot.

Does your friend view anything except his own agenda positively or without suspicion? No! That's my definition of tunnel vision.

On the other subject, I suspect there will be an uproar from opponents citing the club's proximity to the Children's Museum.

Does your friend view anything except his own agenda positively or without suspicion? No! That's my definition of tunnel vision.

This isn't the proper thread to get into this, but...

With all due respect, Burt, I highly suggest you go read the posts on his website, www.saverichmond.com. I think you'll find there's only one subject he views negatively/suspiciously, and that's the incredibly shady dealings and sweetheart deals the local Powers That Be have afforded the VAPAF.

I suspect if you were still a city resident and it was your tax dollars being funneled to the Armstrong/Ukrop cabal, you might feel differently.

{end thread hijack}

This isn't the proper thread to get into this, but...

With all due respect, Burt, I highly suggest you go read the posts on his website, www.saverichmond.com. I think you'll find there's only one subject he views negatively/suspiciously, and that's the incredibly shady dealings and sweetheart deals the local Powers That Be have afforded the VAPAF.

I suspect if you were still a city resident and it was your tax dollars being funneled to the Armstrong/Ukrop cabal, you might feel differently.

{end thread hijack}

What does [end thread hijack] mean? :)

You would suspect wrong, BGW. I'm not a "fatcat", but I have made a financial contribution to VAPAF. Isn't that kind of a voluntary tax from a former resident? And, on my visits, I certainly have no qualms about paying the tax on meals at Richmond's supurb restaurants when I know that it is going toward providing the city with the type of performing space it lacks.

The "cabal" as you call it includes names on both sides of the issue.

But we agree. All of this is :offtopic:

By the way, Theatre IV has decided to present a smaller cast show at The Stewart School this summer. GREASE has been ditched. For theatre-goers, a restaurant within proximity of Stewart School is PATINA GRILL at 3416 Lauderdale Drive, tel: 804/360-8217.

And it seems to me I've heard of an excellent new Japanese Restaurant in that far west end area - I believe it is on Ridgefield Pkwy. Can anyone provide the name, location and comments?

Edited by burt

Coupe, now that you have a summer job downtown, drop into BILL'S BARBECUE in the 7th and Main Building (n/e corner), go to the counter and order a slice of Chocolate Cream Pie and a glass of milk. It'll cost you about two bucks and you'll think you have died and gone to Heaven! :)

Edited by burt

And it seems to me I've heard of an excellent new Japanese Restaurant in that far west end area - I believe it is on Ridgefield Pkwy. Can anyone provide the name, location and comments?

Ichiban

10490 Ridgefield Pkwy

Richmond, VA 23233

(804) 750-2380

I ate there about 2 months ago. I found the sushi to be fresh and tasty. There was quite a variety to choose from. Unfortunately I can't remember specifically what I ate. I can tell you that they don't have liquor, only beer and wine.

Ichiban

10490 Ridgefield Pkwy

Richmond, VA 23233

(804) 750-2380

I ate there about 2 months ago. I found the sushi to be fresh and tasty. There was quite a variety to choose from. Unfortunately I can't remember specifically what I ate. I can tell you that they don't have liquor, only beer and wine.

Mclaw, how did the Cary Street Cafe concert go Friday night?

By the way, Theatre IV has decided to present a smaller cast show at The Stewart School this summer. GREASE has been ditched.

As of last week, Grease was most definitely still on @ Steward, or at least the Cramer Theatre manager seems to think so. Theatre IV & Barksdale are co-producing a production there of "Beehive" in August, but that's an additional event, not a replacement.

Mclaw, how did the Cary Street Cafe concert go Friday night?

It went pretty well. The place didn't get crowded until almost midnight, while the camera-man was there from about 11 to 11:30. Also, I was disappointed that there was no sound recording equipment. I was expecting a microphone or that he would get sound from a board feed. Instead, the sound was recorded from mic built into the camera (unless he recorded no sound at all.)

On a side note: Our band member that works for Mo Roman in Fredericksburg has not yet talked to him about a date at the BANK. If he doesn't do it soon, I'll just have to book it myself. I'm getting a little bit impatient with him. The problem is that he has booked a ton of shows at Mo's places for us and many other bands, so Mo likes working out the details with someone hes used to dealing with.

As of last week, Grease was most definitely still on @ Steward, or at least the Cramer Theatre manager seems to think so. Theatre IV & Barksdale are co-producing a production there of "Beehive" in August, but that's an additional event, not a replacement.

Thanks, BGW. I'm glad to hear that. I had seen publicity about "Beehive" but nary a word about "Grease" so figured it had been replaced with the smaller cast show.

Now, we'll have to dig around and suggest some more far west end dining establishments to accommodate the expected Cramer Theatre crowds. :)

I'm glad Theatre IV has discovered Cramer, but I wish they would produce even more at their flagship Empire Theatre downtown. It's a charming playhouse (since 1911, the oldest continuous operating theatre in Virginia). The recent production of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST almost sold out its 4 week run which indicates to me that people are less and less fearful of going downtown.

It went pretty well. The place didn't get crowded until almost midnight, while the camera-man was there from about 11 to 11:30. Also, I was disappointed that there was no sound recording equipment. I was expecting a microphone or that he would get sound from a board feed. Instead, the sound was recorded from mic built into the camera (unless he recorded no sound at all.)

On a side note: Our band member that works for Mo Roman in Fredericksburg has not yet talked to him about a date at the BANK. If he doesn't do it soon, I'll just have to book it myself. I'm getting a little bit impatient with him. The problem is that he has booked a ton of shows at Mo's places for us and many other bands, so Mo likes working out the details with someone hes used to dealing with.

Wouldn't Mo's entertainment be in "The Vault" portion of BANK? From the last report on these threads, it appeared that section of the restaurant/bar/club is still unfinished.

Will you get a copy of the camera man's work at CSCafe?

Wouldn't Mo's entertainment be in "The Vault" portion of BANK? From the last report on these threads, it appeared that section of the restaurant/bar/club is still unfinished.

Will you get a copy of the camera man's work at CSCafe?

Eventually I think entertainment will be mainly downstairs, but in the meantime, until the 'Vault' is finished, they are planning to have music upstairs. A DJ was set up in the upstairs section this Thurs,Fri and Sat, overlooking the main area.

I don't think we'll get a special copy, we'll probably have to wait until they've produced the entire DVD (I'm not sure how many bands will be on it or if there will be multiple DVDs. I also don't know when the DVD will be distributed. I'm assuming by the end of the summer.

I went to a new restaurant yesterday. The Positive Vibe Cafe (off Forest hill at the Stratford Hills shopping center), donates all their profits to charity (I think mainly for the disabled). I had a delicious catfish po'boy with red pepper sauce. A side of collard greens added to the southern style of my meal. The plate also included some slices of fresh fruits; pineapple, melon, orange etc. My family members all got various quiches, which were quickly gobbled up. We split 2 desserts; a sweet potato pie (perfect), and a grand marnier strawberry shortcake type thing, which I can't adequetly describe save to say it was delicious. I give this place 2 thumbs up. Total price for 4, $45. There is a full bar but I didn't drink nor did I notice the prices. Apparently they frequently have live acoustic music as well.

Positive Vibe Cafe

2825 Hathaway Rd, Richmond, VA

(804) 560-9622

Yea, POSITIVE VIBE has received some National attention because of its courageous effort to put otherwise idle people to work. Kids and adults with various disorders have found hope and a haven there.

I heard that some of the wait persons and kitchen personnel are volunteers from some well-known restaurants in the City.

Even the entertainers volunteer - well, maybe for some meager tips.

Glad to get your report, Mclaw. And what a bargain!

Thanks, BGW. I'm glad to hear that. I had seen publicity about "Beehive" but nary a word about "Grease" so figured it had been replaced with the smaller cast show.

I'm glad Theatre IV has discovered Cramer, but I wish they would produce even more at their flagship Empire Theatre downtown. It's a charming playhouse (since 1911, the oldest continuous operating theatre in Virginia). The recent production of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST almost sold out its 4 week run which indicates to me that people are less and less fearful of going downtown.

From what I can gather, it seems to be an equal partnership between Theatre IV/Barksdale and Steward, rather than Theatre IV simply seeking out an alternate venue for their productions. All of this reminds me that I was going to track down some more interior photos of the Cramer theatre. Perhaps later this week I can get on that.

Grease runs July 21-30, Beehive runs August 11-Sept 3.

Now, we'll have to dig around and suggest some more far west end dining establishments to accommodate the expected Cramer Theatre crowds. :)

Ipanema Grill and Ichiban- you can't go wrong with either of those two.

Geez, you guys are dining out dynamos. No one has a home cooked meal?! One day maybe, not today, not tomorrow, some far off day. I can hardly buy the stuff I want for entertainment! My life's all about windowshopping.