Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Dana Craig has long been a devotee of Chef Philip Denny's culinary art and she has followed him from the former Six Burner to AZIZA'S ON MAIN.

Here is her three and a half Star review from today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/entertainment-life/weekend/dining-out-aziza-s-on-main/article_0fdec3c3-1b69-5349-a2bc-13671ef1a493.html

AZIZA'S ON MAIN

Dana's rating:  3 1/2 Stars

2110 EAST Main Street (in the Tobacco Row area)

804/344-1523

Noise level:  Average

Tab for two:  $52

Be sure to click 'Related Galleries' in the review, but don't try the website because it doesn't work.

I think it was in 1969 when prohibition finally ended in Virginia (I joke, but barely - 1933 marked repeal, but Virginia continued strong restrictions til Liquor-by-the-Drink legislation passed at last in 1969).

Good restaurants were few and far between (except for posh private clubs) prior to '69. There were night clubs, but one had to take his own booze and keep it tightly wrapped in a paper bag on the floor and order set-ups of ice, soda, and non-alcoholic liquids (beer was permissable). Most Virginians thought wine with dinner was something only those "weird Europeans" partook of.

From then to now is like day and night. I thought this might be an interesting forum to discuss the burgeoning restaurant scene in Richmond. MY top 10 picks:

Lemaire at The 5-star Jefferson Hotel at Franklin and Adams streets

The Dining Room at the Berkley Hotel in Shockoe Slip

Foxhead Inn in Manakin/Sabot (Goochland county)

Pomegranate in Shockoe Slip

#1 North Belmont in the Museuem District just "off" Carytown

La Petite France in an obscure industrial section of the west end

Millie's in Tobacco Row

Acacia in Carytown

The Hard Shell in the Slip

Morton's of Chicago in the Slip

Add your own favorites.

The above entry, dated May 21st, 2005, was the beginning of this thread about dining out in Richmond.

The site has had more than 327,000 'hits' and since Urban Planet is global I have to believe that most of the visitors are not locals.

The January 2013 current issue of Richmond Magazine has an excellent story about whether or not Richmond is a 'foodie' town.  And I'm pleased to report that the general consensus of professionals in Virginia and elsewhere is that, yes, it is. But it hasn't yet achieved the prominence of the big cities or special places like Charleston.

Richmond Good Life updates its restaurant pages with regularity.

Here's the latest:

http://www.richmondg...restaurants.htm

This Good Life listing of locally owned restaurants catagorized alphabetically by neighborhoods is an invaluable help. 

It is a great reference source and I try to remember to re-post it from time to time, so here it is again. :)

Note:  The list does not include restaurants in the surrounding counties nor chain operations.

Edited by burt

A couple of relatives who happened to be downtown Richmond called me Saturday night to suggest a restaurant.  They had looked in at Berry Burk, Pasture and Rappahannock and all had waiting lists.  I suggested they drive over to Church Hill and try the brand new DUTCH & CO, but it too was full.  Next I suggested Anthony's On The Hill -- full,  Then I direced them to The Museum District where they tried (without success) to get into Belmont Food Shop, Deco and STUZZI. 

But they persisted and sat at STUZZI's bar 'til a table opened -- and loved it.  The excellent Italian restaurant which features pizzas as well as other Mediterranean fare was a hang-out for actors when LINCOLN was filming in Richmond.  In fact, their 'Spielberg' Pizza was so named because the director phoned often for delivery of a pie he had tried as a seated customer.  Its sauce has an Asian flair and is now a major choice, but you have to ask for it.

STUZZI is in the building that was ranked as the best French restaurant in the region before closing -- 1 NORTH BELMONT.

When two chefs of renown pool their talents and open a joint restaurant venture they can be sure their reputations will precede them.

Such is the case with Chris DiLauro and Manny Mendez.  Each has a restaurant in The Fan -- BACCHUS at Meadow and Main Sreets under the culinary baton of DiLauro, and KUBA KUBA on Lombardy Street which is ruled by Mendez.

The new place is called GALLEY and it is in the shadow of Hathaway Towers in Stratford Hills.

Here's what Karen Newton has to say in the current Style Weekly: 

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/food-review-galley/Content?oid=1816664

GALLEY

2805 Hathaway Road

804/231-1117

Love Galley! That's my hood, we're happy to have them around. I take my boys up there most mondays (seems like the one day a week you dont have to wait for a table). An under appreciated spot right down Forest Hill is Evo's - seriously some of the best szechuan I've had, but seems to be a secret Also, went down to Casa del Barco sat night and loved it - this place should do well as a destination (and Im voting for happy hour). It's looking nice down there, we just need to speed up plans to take down that Alcoa bldg!

Some years ago LA PETITE FRANCE was Richmond's top-rated restaurant.  Its Alsatian owner and chef was Paul Elbling who is now a restaurant consultant.

Richmond Magazine sponsors an annual Richmond Restaurant Award which they call 'The Elbys' and I suspect it is an honor to Chef Elbling.

This year's event will be held in the beautiful Leslie Cheek Theatre on Sunday, February 10th at 6:30PM.  The theatre within The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts served as Richmond's Equity LORT Playhouse for a number of years.

Following the Awards Presentation in the theatre an after party will be held in VMFA's Marble Hall.

Admission is $65.

http://www.myticketstobuy.com/event-details.php?event=517&venue=66

The makers of Blue Goat, Osaka and Wild Ginger give you their newest creation.

It is THE FAT DRAGON.

Its deliciously prepared Cantonese dishes and informed bar are packing in the crowds at the former Stronghill's on North Boulevard. 

Here is a review by Ellie Basch from today's Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/food-review-fat-dragon/Content?oid=1820263

THE FAT DRAGON

1200 North Boulevard

804/354-9888

Edited by burt

RAPPAHANNOCK at 4th and Grace Streets is packed almost daily and nightly with downtown business folks slurping bivalves mid-day, imbibers enjoying cocktails at happy hour and serious diners filling every table after dark.

Here's a story from Garden & Gun Magazine in today's Work It Richmond about the Croxton cousins' climb to national prominence as oyster farmers and proprieters of three booming restaurants in Topping, Va., Washington's Union Market, and downtown Richmond.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/champions-chesapeake-oysters

Edited by burt

THE FAT DRAGON, like Rappahannock, is one popular new restaurant (although the latter attracts a more mature and discerning crowd.)

Dana Craig was a bit disappointed on visits to FAT DRAGON.

Here is her 2 and 1/2 star review from yesterday's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/entertainment-life/food-dining/dining-out-review-fat-dragon/article_d1bf2c5e-d58d-5ab9-8e47-75f86b1bba94.html

THE FAT DRAGON

Dana's Rating:  2 and 1/2 stars

1200 North Boulevard

804/354-9888

http://www.fatdragonrva.com

Noise level:  High

Tab for two:  $58

Restaurant notes:

DOT'S BACK INN at 4030 MacArthur Avenue has applied for permits for out-door dining and expansion of the existing building.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE ROGUE GENTLEMEN missed its deadline for opening in January.  Location of the speakeasy-style operation, other than a site in Jackson Ward, is still a topic of speculation.  Could it be the former Leone's at 2nd and Marshall?  Or maybe a block away on 1st Street?  Or, possibly at 306 East Broad on the Jackson Ward side of the street?  The building was purchased some months ago for over a half million dollars and is on the February 4th City Plannig Commission Consent Agenda to allow utility easements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RACINE'S began its life at 304 North Robinson Street in The Fan as a tiny French cafe and later morphed into a neighborhood bar.  It closed its doors this week but it perhaps may reopen under new management.

Edited by burt

Culinary choices on East Main near 12th Street in Richmond's Financial District are getting more and more cosmopolitan. 

A2 offers Bento Dogs and other Asian fare at 1112 East Main Street. 

Immediately next door in a building with an arched doorway at 1110-B East Main a breakfast and luncheon cafe offering French crepes with a variety of fillings is ready to open.

Karri Peifer at Richmond dot com is researching  the small place and will report on date of opening, hours of operation -- and whether or not it will be called LA Crepe or LE Crepe (as initially reported) or perhaps something else.

Culinary choices on East Main near 12th Street in Richmond's Financial District are getting more and more cosmopolitan. 

A2 offers Bento Dogs and other Asian fare at 1112 East Main Street. 

Immediately next door in a building with an arched doorway at 1110-B East Main a breakfast and luncheon cafe offering French crepes with a variety of fillings is ready to open.

Karri Peifer at Richmond dot com is researching  the small place and will report on date of opening, hours of operation -- and whether or not it will be called LA Crepe or LE Crepe (as initially reported) or perhaps something else.

Here is a photo, and apparently it is being called 'Le Crepes'  :tough: .

http://www.richmond.com/food-drink/dish/article_2f08d7f4-6f08-11e2-b75d-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=image&photo=0

Awesome lunch at Casa del Barco today.  Place was surprisingly busy for a random Tuesday in February.

A feature at CASA DEL BARCO on the Haxall Canal near the foot of 12th Street is its ceiling.

Which ever of its customers drains the last of a tequila bottle is privileged to sign the empty bottle.  It then joins dozens of other empties suspended from holes in the ceiling. :)

The restaurant stocks more varieties of tequila than any bar in Central Virginia.

Yes, but you need to see it to understand.  The bottles go into a small hole that colored light is coming out of, so the bottles are all lit up.

Here's a picture from their facebook page showing a few bottles hanging from the ceiling.  They are not lit up yet (but I bet a quarter the customers who finished off the tequila are. :thumbsup:)

https://www.facebook.com/CasaDelBarco#!/photo.php?fbid=562049667141240&set=a.182888155057395.44317.159458240733720&type=1&theater

BALLICEAUX (pronounced 'bally-so') is an island in the  Carribbean near St. Vincent and The Grenadines.

It is also a very chic restaurant on Lombardy Street in The Fan with a famous back room where musicians and friends congregate.

BALLICEAUX, while smartly designed, is one of those places that looks considerably more romantic in candlelight (click 'photos' on the website)

http://www.balliceauxrva.com/  

RTD food critic Dana Craig had been in several times for music and cocktails but had not dined at BALLICEAUX until she learned that Chef Michael McClure was in residence after stints at Bistro Bobbette, Chez Max and La Grotta. 

Here is her 3-star review from today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/entertainment-life/food-dining/restaurant-reviews/dining-out-review-balliceaux/article_8bbda7f3-7eab-523a-965f-723eec2beaeb.html

BALLICEAUX

Dana's rating:  3 Stars

203 North Lombardy Street (between Grove and Hanover Avenues in The Fan)

804/355-3008

http://www.balliceauxrva.com/

www.Twitter.com/BalliceauxRVA.

Noise level:  High

Tab for two:  $62

Click 'Related Gallery' at the bottom of Dana's review. 

My partner and I dined at Dutch and Company last night and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We ran into one of our regular servers from Aziza's the other day who told us she was now working also at Dutch and Co and said we should come in. We did the prix fixe menu (28 bucks for 3 courses). We felt it was a great value and plenty of food. I can't remember what my partner had, but I had the Rillette, hanger steak, and a chocolate desert kind of like a small dark chocolate dense brownie with hints of citrus and salt. It was all very good. I would think if you like Roosevelt, you will like this as well.

Some people associate PROPER PIE with pizza.  But that's not what comes out of this kitchen in Church Hill within sight of historic St. John's Church.

The New Zealand owner of PROPER PIE and his American wife have introduced savory crusted pies of meat, vegetables and spices to Richmond, although lemon meringue and a few other desserts are available.

The take-out shop has been almost overwhelmed with customers since opening last fall.

Here's a review by Leah Nelson in today's Richmond dot com:

http://www.richmond.com/food-drink/restaurant-reviews/article_b1d43ab2-6fcf-11e2-af32-0019bb30f31a.html

PROPER PIE

2505 East Broad (between 25th and 26th Streets in Church Hill)

804/343-7437

Some years ago LA PETITE FRANCE was Richmond's top-rated restaurant.  Its Alsatian owner and chef was Paul Elbling who is now a restaurant consultant.

Richmond Magazine sponsors an annual Richmond Restaurant Award which they call 'The Elbys' and I suspect it is an honor to Chef Elbling.

This year's event will be held in the beautiful Leslie Cheek Theatre on Sunday, February 10th at 6:30PM.  The theatre within The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts served as Richmond's Equity LORT Playhouse for a number of years.

Following the Awards Presentation in the theatre an after party will be held in VMFA's Marble Hall.

Admission is $65.

http://www.myticketstobuy.com/event-details.php?event=517&venue=66

Here is a list of nominees for Elby awards this Sunday night at The Leslie Cheek Theatre:

From Richmond dot com:

http://richmondmagazine.com/?pageID=0c56e6392b37f855eff9e48e7ab3f384