Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Style Weekly muses anonymously this week about THE PIANO CLUB, 7801 West Broad Street, tel. 804/755-7195. And the musings get less and less enchanted as the dinner review continues, then take a slight upward curve toward the end when discussing the luncheon experience.

In short, Style thinks the food at THE PIANO CLUB does not approach the professionalism of the musician tinkling the ivories.

Service came in for some bashing as well

Edited by burt

If you enjoy BUZ & NED'S REAL BARBECUE, watch the Food Network "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" which airs at various times, including 10PM tomorrow (Thursday, March 15th). It will come on after you have enjoyed the VCU/Duke game on CBS at 7:10. (Richmond is the feature story of a major network and a cable station on the same night.)

Buz Greenberg (the Ned in the eatery's name passed away some time ago but was a mentor to Greenberg) faces off with no less than Flay in a barbeque rib cook-off. Flay has a number of restaurants and has authored several cookbooks as well as being a commanding figure on National television.

Guess who wins the cook-off? :)

Filming was done at BUZ & NED'S on the Boulevard last Sunday, and Monday Flay and crew visited the University of Richmond campus to demonstrate his arts.

Edited by burt

If you enjoy BUZ & NED'S REAL BARBECUE, watch the Food Network "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" which airs at various times, including 10PM tomorrow (Thursday, March 15th). It will come on after you have enjoyed the VCU/Duke game on CBS at 7:10. (Richmond is the feature story of a major network and a cable station on the same night.)

Buz Greenberg (the Ned in the eatery's name passed away some time ago but was a mentor to Greenberg) faces off with no less than Flay in a barbeque rib cook-off. Flay has a number of restaurants and has authored several cookbooks as well as being a commanding figure on National television.

Guess who wins the cook-off? :)

Filming was done at BUZ & NED'S on the Boulevard last Sunday, and Monday Flay and crew visited the University of Richmond campus to demonstrate his arts.

Addendum: If the above two Richmond TV exposures are not enough for you tonight, tune into The Learning Channel at 10PM. Departure Bike Works is part of "Biker Build-Off".

LA PETITE FRANCE, 2108 Maywill Street, the excellent and enduring French restaurant founded by Paul Elbling and now under new management is offering a prix fixe pre-theatre menu during March. A three-course dinner is available for $35 per person, plus taxes and tip. Call 804/353-8789 for details.

Edited by burt

Just to clear up confusion, the Buz & Ned's episode airs in May, not tonight.

BGW, Douglas Durden's story says the Bobby Flay show will be aired tonight as well as at other times. See the fourth paragraph.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...;oasPN=%21flair

But I see your point, BGW. Maybe she just meant that his usual show (not The BUZ & NED's piece) will be airing tonight.

Apologies if I have mislead potential viewers, but her story misled me!

I should have read Paragraph 5 more closely.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig continues on her ethnic adventures (last week it was Italian). Today, she explores TASTE OF INDIA 6856 Midlothian Tpk, tel. 804/745-5291. Passage to India formerly occupied the site near Cloverleaf Mall.

As Dana points out, Indian cuisine is no where near as popular as Thai in Richmond. Here in New York, the entire block of East 6th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues is lined with Indian restaurants, and in many of them, the strongest alcohol available (if at all) is beer. You can get a glass of wine in Richmond, though its list is small.

Dana ranks TAST OF INDIA with two and a half stars. Check for two: $73.

Read the full review below.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...mesdispatch.com

And thanks, Dana, for including the slide show. :)

Edited by burt

Need some recommendations for places to eat when I come up to Richmond in April.

Recommendation #1

My parents will be meeting me up there on Sunday. I am looking for a nice restaurant, relatively inexpensive, that (possibly) caters to the diabetic. Need choices in the menu that do not include excess carbs or sugar. They are very particular in that category. And possibly not a place like Applebee's, Chili's, etc; you get the idea. Maybe a place that offers a great steak and salad bar would be fitting. Prefer casual dress environments as well.

Recommendation #2

Basically, what are cool places where I could sit down and eat and get a taste of the "Richmond scene". I am going to be there for 2 1/2 days. I am mainly looking for inexpensive (but good) places for brunch/lunch and dinner. I'm open to cafe's, american food, italian, or asian cuisine. I'd like to visit areas that are non-formal in general and it would be nice to find venues with free wifi. I'd like to eat near/in downtown/Fan/Carytown area or near Short Pump (of course I have to visit the mall).

Recommendation #3

Now this recommendation will be needed for the celebration of my job interview (yes I am claiming it before I have even gotten there :P ). Seriously, if I get a job offer I want to go to a great restaurant, staying in the 20-30 range for one person. Possibly a resaturant where individuals may go alone, good scene, great food, etc...

Thanks for any assistance one can provide.

Edited by sbc

I'm thinking, sbc! Lots of places close on Sundays, and finding a diabetic-friendly restaurant requires some thought. But we will come up with suggestions for Numbers 1, 2 & 3. Hang in. :)

I will go so far as to suggest THE TOBACCO COMPANY for #3 (the "celebration"). It is a Richmond restaurant icon. Three-levels of visual and gastronomic pleasure frequented in droves by locals and visitors alike, it has graced the corner of 12th and Cary in Shockoe Slip for more than 30 years. It's open 7-days. You should get out with a $30 check if you don't booze it up. :lol: Ask for a table on the 2nd or 3rd level overlooking the atrium.

More suggestions later, and I hope others will contribute their selections.

Edited by burt

If you like mideastern food with a flair, COUS COUS smack dab in the center of VCU at Franklin and Shaffer Streets is a fun and tasty option. It's on the first floor of a sturdy old mid-rise and has a nice atmosphere, an academic and erudite crowd and is quite inexpensive.

The big malls have lots of eating options -- except they are practically all chains like Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Maggiano's and others of that ilk.

There is one that is really quite nice at Stony Point Fashion Park and I am sure you would enjoy it. It's called BRIO TUSCAN GRILLE. As you can imagine, it is Italian. Stony Point is a very upscale shopping center with Sak Fifth Avenue, Brooks Brothers and the like. It is at the western end of Chippenham Pkway (Route 150) in southwest Richmond just before it crosses the James River and becomes known as Parham Road in Henrico County.

Short Pump Town Center is the other life-style center and is larger than Stony Point. Plenty of restaurants (chains mostly) in the area and some excellent shopping in places like Nordstrom's.

Edited by burt

Thanks Burt. Really appreciate the suggestions. I figured the diabetic choice would be a bit harder to fulfill. I am really cexcited about visiting COUS COUS and Brio Tuscan Grille. Sounds right up my ally. I can't wait to venture to TTC because if I come back with a review then there is good news to share.

Thanks again for the feedback. If anyone can come up with nice lunch or dinner venue that may have menu choices catered to a diabetic it would be greatly appreciated. I am open to even a place with good grilled meats (steak, chicen, chops), good salad bar (or salad options), and NON-formal. My folks (see) are country ;)

When I make my far too seldom visits to Richmond, I have breakfast often at the bountiful buffet of SHONEY'S on West Broad at Skipwith (about a block or so west of Parham Road). I believe there are other locations in Metro Richmond.

TBurban (Tommy) and Downtowner (Joey) favor CRACKER BARREL and say it is great, and a bargain, for all three daily meals. Tommy or Joey can tell you the locations.

Neither of the above are diabetic friendly!

If you want a real mid-day bargain, a considerable number of Headquarters buildings have dining spaces open to the public. Two that come to mind are Sun Trust Bank at 10th and Main downtown, and The Dept. of Motor Vehicles on West Broad (about 2400 block) practically adjacent to The Science Museum in the former Broad Street Station.

You and your parents might enjoy DAVIS AND MAIN in the Fan at the intersection of the two streets in its name.

Edited by burt

sbc, here are recommendations:

Recommendation #1 -- Diabetic friendly

Strawberry Street Cafe--Great all you can eat soup and salad bar (search for strawberry street in richmond.com's restaurant section for coupon details). They also have steak and many other tasty items. I'd argue they have the best chicken pot pie and chicken and dumplings around.

Star-Lite - Great Fan Restaurant with a HUGE menu!

Recommendation #2 Cool Places

Edo's Squid - hands down my favorite restaurant in RVA. very affordable--entrees are between $8 and $13. However, cuts of meat can be high priced. but the quality is amazing. reservations needed! I highly recommend the carbonara, fried squid, and tiramisu.

Comfort - great southern food!

Tarrant's Cafe - Great soups and sandwiches.

For Brunch (decent prices)

Capital Ale House

3Monkeys

Recommendation #3 -- Celebratory

some amazing places which aren't exactly cost conscious. However, they all offer great atmosphere and true fine dining.

The White Dog

Millie's

Can Can

Dogwood Grille

Six Burner

Thanks... This is great. My family will only be around for a few hours so it'll be either Strawberry Cafe or Star Lite. Since I have some names, I'll give a call to the restaurants and let them know my situation. Once we eat there, I will provide a review so if future people have diabetic concerns, we can have some feedback available.

After that, I am open to anything (fat, carbs, libation and chocolate) LOL.

This is a great board and it's great to be apart of it. I hope to contribute more once I relocate.

I've been meaning to mention this for the last week, and still don't have time for a proper 'review' but...

We tried out Paradise Diner last weekend. It's in the Stratford Hills shopping center, in the former Mexico Restaurant space, and is owned/operated by the folks who formerly owned Karen's Diner on Broad across from the DMV. It's a very no-frills place, but damn if they don't serve a great breakfast. We had to sit at the counter, as every table was occupied; according to the owner, who sat beside us for a bit, the place stays full on weekends (they're breakfast/lunch only), and reasonably so during the week. We went with traditional breakfast fare and were quite happy- eggs, link sausage, hash browns & biscuits, all of which were excellent. Service was excellent as well- typical of diners, all servers chipped in, so we were never in need for anything.

So if you're in the neighborhood and need a quick breakfast bite, here's your place!

sbc, Jasonb's recommendation of STRAWBERRY STREET CAFE would be perfect, IMO, for your family get-together. It's famous for its salad bar inside a bathtub (was once an answer on Jeopardy - "What city is famous for...?" ). :thumbsup:

Jason, doesn't Strawberry Street Cafe have a Sunday brunch?

It's hard to find, sbc -- tucked away in The Fan, and parking may be a slight problem if I remember correctly.

Are you the sbcMetroguy in Shreveport?

Also, Jasonb's recommendation of EDO's SQUID is the perfect answer for Italian. It's practically on the urban VCU campus in The Fan on Harrison Street between Franklin and Grace Street above a Stuffy's fast-food store. Look sharp to find it. :lol: It can be noisy, but the Italian offerings are exceptional and not your everyday marinara; it ain't called "squid" for nothing! The owner also has a flagship restaurant called MAMMA 'ZU" in Oregon Hill which is one of the city's most famous Italian eateries.

Edited by burt

Here are some dining possibilities thrown around by family (who will hopefully pick up the check :lol: ) during my visit at the end of March:

FOXHEAD INN - http://www.foxheadinn.com

Dd33 - http://www.dd33va.com

TEXAS de BRAZIL - http://www.texasdebrazil.com

OLD CITY BAR - http://www.theoldcitybar.com

But one firm spot is JOE'S INN Sunday night after the Richmond Ballet's 4PM matinee. That will be a sentimental journey to The Fan favorite whch I often frequented when a Richmond resident.

03/18 --Well, just learned that FOX HEAD has been removed from the list due to price. It was to be a Saturday night option, but it is prix fixe at $68 per person ($58 other nights) -- not including drinks, wine, tax and tip.

I'll take the family group of 8 when I win the lottery.

Edited by burt

Has anyone tried out HOMETEAM GRILL in the reconstructed trolley barn at Vine and Main in the Uptown area of The Fan? A couple of posters have said they looked in while passing by and the place was packed.

TBurban, is there also a HOMETEAM GRILL in Twin Hickory?

Edited by burt

Here's an interisting bit of news from the articled ric75 just posted in the Manchester thread:

CROAKER's SPOT, the immensely popular home-cooking restaurant at 2nd and Leigh Streets, will open another CROAKER's SPOT on Hull at 10th street in Manchester. No date has been announced, but we'll keep you posted.

Sure is, Burt. It's okay, nothing too spectacular that stands out on the menu. It does however attract a lot of sports fans.

Thanks, Tommy.

Will you post the address and phone # for the record? And while you're checking, will you also get the actual address and phone for the Fan location? :)

Thanks, Tommy.

Will you post the address and phone # for the record? And while you're checking, will you also get the actual address and phone for the Fan location? :)

No problem :thumbsup:

• The Fan
    1630 W. Main Street at Vine
    (On Main Street just west of the VCU campus)
    Phone: (804) 254-7360
  • West End/Twin Hickory
    11351 Nuckols Road at Twin Hickory
    (Across from YMCA in the Twin Hickory Shopping Center)
    Phone: (804) 967-9060

Edited by TBurban