Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

It's very interesting to see on Dana's survey of her Dining Picks that of 334 voters thus far, OLD CITY BAR is ahead with 95 votes (28%). But almost astounding to me is that CORNER BAR AND GRILL is right behind with 90 votes (27%). Not to say that CORNER BAR & GRILL doesn't deserve all this attention, but who'd-a thunk this tiny soul food place tucked away on West Leigh Street in the Carver District could win the affection of so many so fast? :)

Hot favorites such as SENSI and BANK are way down on the popularity chart.

You can vote on the linked story if you choose to do so.

Edited by burt

I smell some poll skewing Burt. Never trust on line polling.

That's what I was thinking. Nonetheless, it indicates that the people that like Corner Bar & Grill and Old City Bar are dedicated fans. I think that says a lot. Sensi and Bank may have a lot of crowds but maybe they don't provide as personalized experiences as the smaller places.

Either way, I agree. The paper should do more polls. It's fun to see what other people think. Hey, I voted for Da Lat but they're near the bottom.

Edited by checkplease

I just revisited Dana's Dining Picks for 2006 which urbanvb (whom I call Guy) was kind enough to post on the preceding page, and the race is still between two favorites. As Henry points out, the voting is doubtlessly skewed by loyalists, but as of a few minutes ago the results are:

Among 948 voters, CORNER BAR AND GRILL still leads the pack with 40%; OLD CITY BAR is second with 23%, and COUS COUS has pulled into third place with 15%.

Edited by burt

My hand is getting tired, but a few words about Dana's review today of THE LUCKY BUDDHA, 1421 East Cary (Slip/Bottom area), tel. 804/ 648-5100.

It wins three sexy stars. ;)

Overall excellent Pan/Asian menu with stunning decor (look at its web site which Dana has included -- www.theluckybuddha.com. (Sorry, but I don't know how to highlight web sites.)

It's a Michelle Williams/Robert Kaplan collaboration. Michelle Williams is major domo (or doma) of EUROPA, THE HARD SHELL, CHA CHA CANTINA and LUCKY BUDDHA -- all in the 1400 block of East Cary Street. She has other well known restaurants elsewhere in the Richmond Metro.

Tab for two: $103.

Edited by burt

I don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread a while back. I tried searching but had no luck. But Skicky rice has opened a take out station across the street called Togogo. Yet another brilliant idea by Mr. Yamacrapa. (just testing to see if it would change it, I mean Mr. Y a m a s h i t a).

Also, I went to the Cheesecake factory for the first time. The portions were huge and the food was good, but not spectacular. I think the ambiance was misleading. It has a very chic vibe, but my water came in a clear plastic mug, and I just didn't feel that the cooking quality was quite good enough. Presentations were nice, but it just seems too much like a formulaic chain restaurant (maybe because it is).I thought I heard that it was the most popular restaurant in the richmond metro area. Is that true?

Edited by mclawsdrive

Yeah, I remember the discussion about Mr. Yamash*ta, but I couldn't remember if those discussions were about Cous, Cous or Togogo, or maybe both.

My friend ordered the Bang bang chicken and shrimp. I like the thai style curry sauce. The serving is enourmous! It must be 2 pounds of food.

my favorite dish at Cheesecake Factory is Bang Bang Chicken and shrimp... yummy.

We talked about Togogo a while back... and it was funny because UP funny because UP filters "bad words" so Mr. Ya ma Sh it a turns to Yamacrapa. hahaha

Yea, McLaw. Mr. YamaS H I T A, who also co-owns COUS COUS in The Chesterfield Apartment Building at Shaffer and Franklin, opened TOGOGO in the former Mainly Pasta across the street from STICKY RICE which is at 2232 West Main.

I wonder if Yamayouknow knows how much fun we have had with his forbidden name over here. :rofl:

I've never eaten at CHEESECAKE FACTORY, but good to get a report from you and Coupe. Did you have any famous table neighbors? :lol: Plastic water mugs sound pretty tacky to me.

And yes, CHEESECAKE FACTORY grossed well over $10 million last year to lead the pack of Richmond area restaurants in sales.

Edited by burt

Yea, McLaw. Mr. YamaS H I T A, who also co-owns COUS COUS, opened TOGOGO in the former Mainly Pasta across from STICKY RICE.

I wonder if Yamayouknow knows how much fun we have had with his forbidden name over here. :rofl:

I've never eaten at CHEESECAKE FACTORY, but good to get a report from you, McLaw. Did you have any famous table neighbors? :lol: Plastic water glasses sound pretty tacky to me.

Well they were that thick, nice, permanant plastic, but they certainly weren't glass. Well I think my dining buddy Tim has been too busy with his transportation proposals to drive around Short Pump lately. I think I was surrounded by west enders, I'm sure some of them were moderately famous.

On a sad note, I drove past the spot where the Applebees employee was killed by a drunk driver. There was a roadside memorial at the intersection of Lauderdale and Broad.

Tim was in Roanoke this week announcing his plans for a Medical College in conjunction with VPI and Carrilion.

Wonder if he stopped by the elegant METRO again while in The Star City?

I wouldn't be surprised if he returned. Another nice spot would be Trio, although its not quite as trendy.

I noticed the roadside memorial as well on my way out to around Twin Hickory not too long ago as well...

Apparently the girl just sped right through the red light and t-boned him. She was very young and drunk.

I ran a stop sign once by accident when I was towing a trailer and couldn't stop in time due to the extra 3000 pounds behind my car. I was halfway into the intersection before I stopped. I'd had a few too many and thank God no one was coming. I learned a lesson that night. The more weight you're moving, the more sober you should be. Drunk on a skateboard, no big deal, drunk at the wheel of the Exxon Valdes - very big deal. Above .08 is just too high to drive, but its even more dangerous when you're towing a trailer. I'd be willing to bet that the girl in this accident was well above .08, I don't think she had any intention of stopping at all.

Edited by mclawsdrive

Also, I went to the Cheesecake factory for the first time. The portions were huge and the food was good, but not spectacular. I think the ambiance was misleading. It has a very chic vibe, but my water came in a clear plastic mug, and I just didn't feel that the cooking quality was quite good enough. Presentations were nice, but it just seems too much like a formulaic chain restaurant (maybe because it is).I thought I heard that it was the most popular restaurant in the richmond metro area. Is that true?

The Cheesecake Factory is the most overhyped, underwhelming restaurant I've ever had the misfortune to frequent. It was a freebie we got from their management (in exchange for allowing them to use some of our work facilities for server training) and I still think we overpaid. Why people line up and wait ages to pay too much for bland food is beyond me. Of course, I had a co-worker tell me she and her husband went to NYC for christmas and ate at either Applebee's, TGI Fridays or Chili's every day, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

The Cheesecake Factory is the most overhyped, underwhelming restaurant I've ever had the misfortune to frequent. It was a freebie we got from their management (in exchange for allowing them to use some of our work facilities for server training) and I still think we overpaid. Why people line up and wait ages to pay too much for bland food is beyond me. Of course, I had a co-worker tell me she and her husband went to NYC for christmas and ate at either Applebee's, TGI Fridays or Chili's every day, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

You summed up nicely why I completely dislike everything about the cheesecake factory. haha. The only thing I enjoy is their cheesecake, which I do go there for occasionally. Of course, this is coming from someone who absolutely loves edo's squid, comfort, hill cafe, can can, etc...

I went to Nile Ethiopian Cafe tonight. The atmosphere inside the place is nice b/c of the high ceilings, exposed beams, and the vibrant colors on the painted brick walls. The dining experience was very different (and very good) as well--it was my first time having Ethiopian food. Their combination plates are a great way to experiment since you get 5 different entrees on your plate. Most of the food is somewhat spicy, and I really do not know how to describe the actual dishes (everything is just that different!). However, the presentation was great. I had beef, chicken, and lamb, all of which were very flavorful and filling. The most unique part of the experience is using bread to pick up everything (there is no silverware). Anyway, I'd highly recommend the place. See December's Richmond Magazine for a more restaurant critic kind of review :)

Is NILE ETHIOPIAN CAFE on the Laurel Street site once occupied by Hole in the Wall? Thanks to all who post personal comments about restaurants.

I still hope to see a report from you Jason on ENOTECA SOGNO. Isn't it near your work?

I am not familiar w/ hole in the wall, but it is on laurel about a half block off broad street.

When it comes to craving Italian food, I am addicted to Edo's Squid. I may visit Enoteca Sogno at some point, but the atmosphere doesn't seem appealing to me...