Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I don't think retail has ever done well in James Center despite its soaring atrium. The Omni's restaurant has built-in business and VIE DE FRANCE has a take-out but there's little else to my knowledge. There used to be a fairly nice men's store called Marc Jeffries, but it's long gone. And it seems to me Schwartzchild had a store there until a couple of years ago..

Burt, there's also a jewelry store and a few others, but nothing that would be a real draw. I know that the new owners are intent upon boosting the center's retail offerings. The atrium is pretty neat, especially with the water features, so I hope they are successful.

I don't think I've ever seen a busier Wendy's than the one at James Center during lunchtime. That place functions like a well oiled machine.

Isn't the small Starbucks in Suntrust part of a takeaway cafe kind of place? You're referring to the place near the art gallery right? Speaking of Suntrust, yesterday I got an 8oz New York Strip w/ 2 sides and a roll at their cafeteria on the 3rd floor... for $6! what a steal!

A really popular vendor is christopher's runaway gourmay (yes that;s how they spell it :)) ... they've got maybe half a dozen carts around town, maybe more. Suntrust on certain weekdays has a great thing in their plaza called the Suntrust Grill... they cook up made to order 1/2 pound angus burgers, grilled chicken sandwiches and sirloin steak sandwiches at a pretty reasonable price

Thank God that Dana Craig still has her restaurant reviewing job at the shrinking Richmond Times Dispatch! :lol:

Today, she praises MANDARIN PALACE at 2811 Stratford Hill Shopping Center, tel: 804/272-8020 and awards it three and a half stars. The shopping center is at the elbow of Forest Hills Avenue on your way to Chippenham Pkwy (if you're coming from the city).

I remember when MANDARIN PALACE OPENED IN 1969 and it definitely was considered Richmond's best Chinese restaurant. I have to dispute Dana's statement that it was one of the city's first. Chinese (or "Oriental") eating places have been part of Richmond's fabric for generations. I personally recall two downtown in the 1940s, one on Grace near 5th and another on Broad near 3rd. I also recall one on West Broad near Libby that introduced the "poo poo tray" to Richmond in the 1960s. Its popularity may have inspired MANDARIN PALACE.

Anyway, it's good to hear that MANDARIN PALACE has maintained its excellence thru the years. Peking Duck served tableside sounds especially tempting. The decor and ambiance was and apparently still is elegant. Can't wait to sample it again on my upcoming trip.

Tab for two: $85.

Hello, gentlemen (sorry if I missed some ladies, but its seems to be all men here!). I am new to the board and have enjoyed lurking for awhile and thought that I would finally join and introduce myself. We love to eat out and I am a fairly experienced home cook. We live in Richmond and are always looking for new places to try. Will report and put my oar in as we go, but I just wanted to say hi for now.

This might not be common knowledge, but there is a very small Starbucks in the Main Street lobby of the SunTrust building. I still don't understand, however, why there isn't a huge Starbucks somewhere in downtown (there certainly are enough vacancies in James Center).

FYI guys the starbucks in the Suntrust and Marriott hotel are B&I (business & Industry) mosels managed by their host food services.

These differ in that they are not true Bucks and have lots of flexability in Food offerings but not the Coffee processes.

The only Starbucks I know of is on Broad near the Lombardy intersection. Always busy !!

Once the new hotel opens and now that some of the Apt on Grace are opening I bet it won't be long. :yahoo:

Another critical blast at the reincarnation of Limani Sea Food Grill now called DURO at 3123 W. Cary.

Dana Craig found it lacking in her recent critique, which is reported on in my posting here dated July 21st.

Today, Style's Don Baker said he was not at all happy on his first visit, but in fairness, returned twice. Inconsistency reigned. The owner and former Chef at Limani, Matthew Tlusty, created DURO when the cost of his exceptional fish entrees at Limani exceeded the number of customers willing to pay. Health problems contributed to Tlusty's pull-back and the kitchen is apparently now staffed with hopeful chef trainees under his tutelage.

Edited by burt

Deveron at Style talks today about ZEN CAFE at BodyZenSoul Salon, 5109 Lakeside Avenue, which we have discussed here on these pages.

Also, CALIENTE!, the spicy restaurant at 2922 Park Avenue (corner of Park and Belmont) has finally gotten city approval to open a patio. Because it is in the Museum District residential area, it must close by 10:30PM.

There's more soul in town! It's called SOUL FOOD RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE at 4917 Nine Mile Road. It has upscale decor, big screen TVs and live jazz and is open for lunch and dinner every day except Mondays.

Bangkok Cafe is now known as SIAM PARAGON ( IMO, the old name was better). It is at 10445 Midlothian Tpk and offers soft shell crabs, panang curry and other dishes. Open daily for lunch and dinner.

Edited by burt

i'm new to the board and to richmond also...was never here to try Duro's previous life...altho' my credit card printed out Limani. we found it not to be unique at all...it's been a few weeks since we were there and i can't remember what we ate...bad sign ! i do recall that the wine list was terrible: way too small and way overpriced and even then they had items crossed out by hand.stemware equal to the qualiyy of the list. i can't understand why owner and especially chef/owners don't realize that they can make mucho bucks by having good wines and good stemware ??? i'm bringing my own Riedel's and i'll keep reporting...

i must say that we love take out from 81/2 !

Hiya, Bugsy. Do you live in or near Oregon Hill convenient to 8 and a half?

So, yours is the third comment on DURO. It's a pity, because I had always heard such nice things about Limani Seafood Grill. Matthew Tlusty was trained at the Culinary Institute of America. He said that the 200-seat CAN CAN Brasserie across the street cut into Lamani's business.

Edited by burt

Are you still working at Jordon Point? Don't forget our tentative lunch together sometime in October. I'll just pop into the 4th floor some day, and if you're there, fine, if not maybe someone will give me a brief tour of Renaissance.

Please do come on by Burt

Yes to "Point on the James" formally the Jordan Point Country Club. We are nearing completion of minor renovation Ie, Lots of new paint and Decor items. Light bulbs, Landscaping ect. The building while very nice had not been maintained preperly in quite some time. Quite a jolt as I had been blessed with memory loss from the first year at the Renaissance Conference Center

Don't if I should so don't kill me but the web is www.(ourname).com it should show a few pics of the place as is now with more to come in the near future.

shame you are now here on the 15th of this month we will have a grand open house! I could send you an invite :thumbsup:

Hiya, Bugsy. Do you live in or near Oregon Hill convenient to 8 and a half?

So, yours is the third comment on DURO. It's a pity, because I had always heard such nice things about Limani Seafood Grill. Matthew Tlusty was trained at the Culinary Institute of America. He said that the 200-seat CAN CAN Brasserie across the street cut into Lamani's business.

bugsy and mrs bugsy live on grove ave near strawberry and i can walk to 81/2..in fact i did last night.

the white pizza made me forget how stinky the weather is !!

The TD's critic, Dana Craig, survived two visits to CITY LIMIT, 7007 Three Chopt Road in Village Shopping Center, tel. 804/228-4232. Formerly known as Potter's Pub, the place can't seem to decide whether it is a tavern or restaurant or, for that matter, whether it's in the city or Henrico County (it straddles the line).

It's one of the nearest watering holes to the UR campus, which assures a packed bar of boozers and smokers with fumes from the latter permeating the dining room.

Maybe the less said about the one star CITY LIMIT the better.

Tab for two (lst visit, sampling its "upscale" dinner menu) - $103.

Second visit sampling bar grub - $48.

Edited by burt

bugsy and mrs bugsy live on grove ave near strawberry and i can walk to 81/2..in fact i did last night.

the white pizza made me forget how stinky the weather is !!

Well, God knows, Mr and Mrs Bugsy, you are certainly close enough to sample chicken livers at JOE'S INN. :rofl:

JOE'S, as the World knows, is a block away on Shields Avenue between Grove and Hanover.

Edited by burt