Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

There is big goings-on starting today at The Greater Richmond Convention Center. The Travel South Showcase is bringing hundreds of people involved in the hospitality business including: travel agents; motor coach operators; supplier companies; visitors' bureaus; tourism offices; travel service providers, such as advertising media, and 34 travel writers.

Last year, the event was held in Memphis. Virginia was chosen for this year's event because the state finally has a place large enough to hold it. Business is up 23% in Richmond over Memphis for pre-tours and regional tours.

Could ppassafi be one of the attendees representing Louisville? :)

There is big goings-on starting today at The Greater Richmond Convention Center. The Travel South Showcase is bringing hundreds of people involved in the hospitality business including: travel agents; motor coach operators; supplier companies; visitors' bureaus; tourism offices; travel service providers, such as advertising media, and 34 travel writers.

Last year, the event was held in Memphis. Virginia was chosen for this year's event because the state finally has a place large enough to hold it. Business is up 23% in Richmond over Memphis for pre-tours and regional tours.

Could ppassafi be one of the attendees representing Louisville? :)

lol. No, I am just stopping on my way to Norfolk....but I did meet people from that convention in my hotel!! Anyways, I have had a great day, and it looks like we are going to Can Can around 8. So I'll let you guys know, but thanks for all the advice! I may try element tonight to check out Richmond nightlife. Any other last minute advice?

Richmond seems to be doing a bit better since I was last here (which was only once). You guys did all the dirty work by naming the good restaurants. I use that information when I explore cities so I drove around the different districts where the restaurants were bc a neighborhood with eclectic eats is always a cool hood. Seems like some nice stuff, and it also seems some of the rougher areas are cleaning up (I know you guys have had some crime problems). Downtown is looking pretty good...I noticed some new condos, etc. I will go out tonight to see how many people are out--that is my true test of how a downtown is doing :) Oh, and how about this newfound winter! Brrrr.

Great/ppassafi. You should be leaving for CAN CAN just about now. I hope you and your party enjoy it as much as I think you will. Give us your report when you can (can). Check out the slip and the Bottom tonight. That's where the crowds will be. Try LUCKY LOUNGE, EUROPA, TOBACCO COMPANY and SINE (an authentic Irish Pub) and RICHBRAU. If you like jazz, check out FUSION. Then, go to the Bottom, where you'll find ELEMENT. There are two music clubs in the Bottoms which may be active tonight: ALLEY KATZ in Walnut Alley (ask around how to find it) and THE CANAL CLUB.

Welcome to Richmond.

Edited by burt

Great/ppassafi. You should be leaving for CAN CAN just about now. I hope you and your party enjoy it as much as I think you will. Give us your report when you can (can). Check out the slip and the Bottom tonight. That's where the crowds will be. Try LUCKY LOUNGE, EUROPA, TOBACCO COMPANY and SINE (an authentic Irish Pub) and RICHBRAU. If you like jazz, check out FUSION. Then, go to the Bottom, where you'll find ELEMENT. There are two music clubs in the Bottoms which may be active tonight: ALLEY KATZ in Walnut Alley (ask around how to find it) and THE CANAL CLUB.

Welcome to Richmond.

Hey CAN CAN was great. My gf and I enjoyed it...it was exactly what I wanted and very much like places we where we eat in Louisville.

We went back to the hotel for a bit, then hit Lucky Lounge and Europa. They were ok...but then we went to Element, and I really liked that. More my style and crowd. Richmond nightlife was decent...not quite the concentrated crowds I have seen other places, but I really like the feel of Lucky and Element. Good and IMO cheap drinks too.

Nope... locally owned. There was an article in Style Weekly recently about it.. I'll see if I can find it

hmm not on the whole restaurant, but it's more on Can Can's Wine Director...

http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=11739

Most of the restaurants in the city itself are locally owned... something I really like.

One question...is Can Can a chain? Seemed very corporate although it was good. But as I thought about, there are several locally owned restaurants in Louisville that seem kind of "chainish."

Now, I'm not meaning to say negative things about Can Can because I usually enjoy it there, but it is by no means an original concept. Maybe for Richmond, but not for New York City. Not only is the decor exactly the same as Balthazar but even the design of the websites are similar.

http://www.balthazarny.com/splash.html

www.cancanbrasserie.com

You're right, judging by the balthazar website, checkplease. But I think maybe CAN CAN'S ad agency borrowed images. I'm pretty sure it's not a chain operation. The Ripp family owns it (they, or one of its offspring) devised and opened the immensely popular HAVANA 59. Regrettably, that famous Bottom spot never reopened after Gaston, and who knows if it ever will? There have been rumors of franchises in Los Angeles and elsewhere.

The Ripp who owned it took his entire staff, by way of Mexico, to Cuba shortly after HAVANA 59 opened and skirmished with Immigration officials. He subsequently married a lady named Angela and opened CITY BAR AND CHOP HOUSE (now OLD CITY BAR) and another spot across the Market which never really took off. Then came Gaston.

Ripp (whatever his first name) was a daring and fun guy and I wish him and Angela well. Richmond should have more of his ilk, IMO!

Edited by burt

Ripp family owns it (they, or one of its offspring) devised and opened the immensely popular HAVANA 59. Regrettably, that famous Bottom spot never reopened after Gaston, and who knows if it ever will?

From what I understand, the owners of Havana are hoping to reopen April 31. Although it always looks dark and dusty in there, supposedly they have continued working - slowly but surely.

thanks for the update! I've never been to havana59, but it always looked like a pretty cool place. I love to exterior.

I hope your sources are correct, bankrupt. There have been so many false reports about HAVANA59 reopening.

One things for sure, they'll have to import some new Palm Trees for their 3rd level outside patio overlooking the farmer's market.

How come my response looks like it's a continuation of coupe's remarks and not a new entry?

Edited by burt

From what I understand, the owners of Havana are hoping to reopen April 31. Although it always looks dark and dusty in there, supposedly they have continued working - slowly but surely.

As of about 2 weeks ago, there was a "For Lease" sign in the window, right next to a building permit.

Talk about mixed signals.

As of about 2 weeks ago, there was a "For Lease" sign in the window, right next to a building permit.

Talk about mixed signals.

i didn't see a for lease sign, but it is pretty dead looking in there. the building permit is fairly old, too, if i'm not mistaken.

the guy who fixes it up lives upstairs of rosie connelly's and frequently stops in for a drink there (next door to havana). that date for opening came from the bartender, tommy, who is a wise wise man. hopefully he's right.

come to think of it, i think tommy may have said the guy stopped working for a while but just recently began working again to get it open. i could be making that up though.

It's rare that two of the City's top food critics report on the same spot in the same week, but both, Dana Craig of the RTD and Joseph Cates of Style Weekly, sampled MALDINI'S at 4811 Forest Hill Avenue. Dana granted it two and a half stars, while Cate's review might have been a tad more generous. The restaurant's menu runs the gamut from pizza to more glamorous Italian specialities, has pleasant decor, nice (if somewhat tardy) servers and generally appealing dishes. It's a nice addition to South Richmond's dining-out scene. Tab for two - $84.

Zack talks about CHRISTOPHER'S RUNAWAY GOURMET CARTS, those ubiquitous food wagons that downtown workers patronize in droves. They are to make their seasonal appearance next Monday at their usual locations along Main Street at 8th, 10th and (new) 12th, and on Marshall Street in the middle of VCU Medical Center.

Zack also mentions that St. Patrick's Day will soon be upon us when, he says, there will be "green everything, from beer to desserts (to your complexion, if you're not careful)".

TD staffer Lindsay Kastner likes the popular 821 CAFE at that address on West Cary Street. Thursdays, she reports, has all-day Happy Hour.

Pete Humes has an interesting piece in today's RTD Entertainment supplement about the burgeoning night life scene in Center City.

MANHATTAN'S MARTINI LOUNGE on 5th street between Grace and Franklin has undergone a redesign with "low lights, squat leather chairs and towering plants" that set the mood of a "hip, high class hotel lounge". In addition to the ground floor lounge, there's a basement space, a 2nd level VIP area and The Cotton Club on the third floor which occasionally books some hot entertainers.

Other spots Pete lists are:

CROSSROADS, 217 W. Clay.

GALLERY5, 200 W. Marshall

ADA GALLERY, 228 W. Broad

COMFORT, 200 W. Broad

TWENTY SEVEN RESTAURANT, 27 W. Broad

BARCODE, 6 E. Grace

TROPICAL SOUL, 314 N. 2nd

MR. BOJANGLES, 550 E. Marshall

GODFREY'S, 308 E. Grace

MATRIX ROOM, 401 E. Grace

PENNY LANE PUB, 421 E. Franklin

3RD STREET DINER, 218 E. Main

4TH STREET CAFE, 9 N. 4th

CAPITAL ALE HOUSE, 623 E. Main

I can't resist mentioning that 4th Street Cafe is a favorite of one of our readers.

:)

I wonder if after-hours spots like OLD DOMINION CLUB are still open? If memory serves, you could approach it from an alley between Broad and Grace somewhere between 1st and Adams. The only time I and a friend tried to get in (about 3AM), there was a long line. That was at least 5 years ago.

Edited by burt

It's rare that two of the City's top food critics report on the same spot in the same week, but both, Dana Craig of the RTD and Joseph Cates of Style Weekly, sampled MALDINI'S at 4811 Forest Hill Avenue. Dana granted it two and a half stars, while Cate's review might have been a tad more generous. The restaurant's menu runs the gamut from pizza to more glamorous Italian specialities, has pleasant decor, nice (if somewhat tardy) servers and generally appealing dishes. It's a nice addition to South Richmond's dining-out scene. Tab for two - $84.

Having eaten there several times, I'd say Dana is more on point. The first couple of visits were pizza/sub take-out trips, and everything was good, but not great. The first dining-in trip was also good, though the staff was clearly very inexperienced. The next trip was utterly terrible, food and service alike, but we chalked it up to the fact that they were still "fairly" new. The last trip will likely be the last trip for awhile, as it was even worse. Honestly, if I didn't already know that they had other restaurants (Piccola Italy, Pronto Pizzeria), I'd have thought it was their first ever shot at running a place.

Sorry to hear that, BGW. I understand it is a family run operation. Surely they are learning with each media comment. Let's give them a little more time, because that area could do with a quality restaurant.

Isn't Piccola Italia on Main Street near Harrison and the VCU campus? I have no idea of Pronto Pizzeria's location.

PS. I'm so glad you contribute from time to time, BGW.

Sorry to hear that, BGW. I understand it is a family run operation. Surely they are learning with each media comment. Let's give them a little more time, because that area could do with a quality restaurant.

I do hope it's just lingering 'newness' that's causing problems, but the little things (like serving what's clearly Kraft grated parmesan from a can instead of fresh parmesan) make me wonder. I wish them all the best and hope things turn around.

Isn't Piccola Italia on Main Street near Harrison and the VCU campus? I have no idea of Pronto Pizzeria's location.
Yep, Piccola's is on the corner of Main & Harrison. Pronto is in the Target/Barnes & Noble strip at Broad & Libbie.

PS. I'm so glad you contribute from time to time, BGW.

Life keeps me too busy to post a lot, but I try :)

There's a new place on 1st street in Jackson Ward that looks really cool Its called maggies but I haven't been able to find any info on the place and its only open for dinner Fri and Sat so I haven't had a chance to check it out. I noticed it when leaving the Croaker Spot, which is amazing btw. The interior of Maggies looks really warm, delightful. Anyone know anything about it? I assume that it is soul food / comfort food but i can't find a menu online and there isn't one in the window. On a somewhat related note, does anyone know where to get good fried chicken in Richmond (aside from Lee's). I've checked the Corner in Carver, love it and the Croaker Spot (in additon to the 500 Fan and downtown places). No luck. Closest I can get is with boneless chicken, that just wont cut it.

Anyone know anything about Jamacia House?

I may be wrong, but I believe MAGGIE'S has been operating in one style or another for some time on the east side of North 1st Street between Clay and Leigh. Seems to me I read or heard something within the last year about an upgrade to the premises and menu. I'll bet a quarter MAGGIE could tempt you with good fried chicken

Old Thalhimer's elegant deli used to dish up finger-lickin'-good fried chicken as did an old west Broad restaurant called Wakefield's Chicken-in-the-Rough. But that's ancient history.

Ukrop's chicken is pretty good.

I think MR. BOJANGLES (a spin-off of CROAKER'S SPOT) serves the same menu as its parent operation - or did when I had lunch there a couple of years ago.

Edited by burt