Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Here are some interesting items from Melissa Ruggieri's Table Talk column in today's RTD:

STRAWBERRY STREET CAFE in The Fan will be offering a theatre menu special during the run of "Wicked" at the Landmark Theatre beginning March 10th.

Check the website for details:

http://www.strawberrystreetcafe.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that Bottega has closed, Seasonings Fine Catering has decided to open a 55-seat restaurant in its building at The Shoppes in Belgrade. The name will be GREAT SEASONS RESTAURANT.

http://www.seasoningsfinecatering.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEHJA INDIA DELICIOUS, a spin-off of the Nawab Indian Cuisine chain in Hampton Roads, will open during the 3rd week of March across from California Pizza Kitchen and The Sierra Hotel in Short Pump Town Center.

BASILI's OF CARYTOWN is open at 3107 West Cary Street in the former Carytown Seafood space. BASILI's offers a Greek menu.

And it's shad roe time in Virginia! SKILLIGALEE SEAFOOD now has this seasonal Virginia delectible as a special on it menu from 4 to 6PM (and, I assume, beyond those hours.)

SKILLIGALEE is off of West Broad Street at 5416 Glenside Drive. 804/672-6200.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig and party ventured out to the area once called Watkins Center at the junction of Rts. 288 and US60West. Now known as Westchester Commons, the slowly developing life style center in northwestern Chesterfield County has a multi-plex cinema, some office buildings and assorted shops. Amongst these is CHOPSTIX ASIAN BISTRO AND SUSHI LOUNGE.

Dana's slideshow pictures an extremely chic, sleek and inviting dining room and bar.

Here is Dana's 3-star review with slideshow from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-194802/328148/

CHOPSTIX ASIAN BISTRO AND SUSHI LOUNGE

Dana's rating: 3 stars

15801 City View Drive in Westchester Commons

804/379-8308

http://www.chopstixva.com

Noise level: Average

Tab for wo: $57.00

Edited by burt

I'm not at all sure, but I think the five stars that have been added to the Richmond Dining Out thread on the home page is because it's the most viewed topic on the Richmond UP forum with over 178,000 hits.

Perhaps Krazeeboi, Wrldcoupe4 and TBurban who are more familiar with Urban Planet policies can offer an explanation. smile.gif

I contacted Neo, the head honcho of Urban Planet's Southeast section, and he told me that someone can highlight a topic with stars if that person believes it is of especial interest.

I don't know who tagged this thread or the one about Proposed plans for Reynolds North and South Plants with stars, but it was not I. However. I'm pleased that whoever is responsible selected both of the topics.smile.gif

I don't recall whether or not we've run this slideshow of THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETTS LANDING.

It is in today's Richmond dot com along with a review. If the critic's name doesn't give you a queasy feeling, it's a good bet you'll reach for the barf bag after reading the commentary in which he puts down the food, "anyone under 20" as well as "drag queens."

Enjoy the pix.

I am not posting the review because it is noted that the menu is being revised by Jimmy Snead and another visit will be scheduled by a Richmond dot com writer.

http://www2.richmond...ouse-slideshow/

Edited by burt

SHULA's goes head to head with other top-of-the-line Richmond steakhouses like Buckhead's, Fleming's, Copper Grill, Morton's and Ruth's Chris. Dana Craig's opinion, published in today's RTD, doesn't rise above 3 stars although the critic has many nice things to say about it.

Dana's accompanying slideshow, neatly scored with smooth jazz, shows a pair of rooms way over-lit. Someone should lower the rheostat, IMO.

Here's Dana's assessment from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-174206/329501/

SHULA's

Dana's rating: 3 stars

12042 West Broad Street*

804/565-7000

http://www.shulasrichmond.com

Noise level: Low

Tab for two: $111.00

*SHULA's is in the new Hilton hotel set back from West Broad Street in Town Center West beyond Short Pump Town Center.

Edited by burt

I don't recall whether or not we've run this slideshow of THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETTS LANDING.

It is in today's Richmond dot com along with a review. If the critic's name doesn't give you a queasy feeling, it's a good bet you'll reach for the barf bag after reading the commentary in which he puts down the food, "anyone under 20" as well as "drag queens."

Enjoy the pix.

I am not posting the review because it is noted that the menu is being revised by Jimmy Snead and another visit will be scheduled by a Richmond dot com writer.

http://www2.richmond...ouse-slideshow/

Wow, that was a terrible review. But I'm confused b/c that's not the same boathouse I've been to 4 times now. They specialize in seafood for a reason. Maybe the reviewer should have tried some of their actual seafood dishes and not an alfredo pasta or what is essentially cheese soup and toast.

It's been a few months since I was there, but I still dream about getting another seafood tower: SEAFOOD TOWER*

Four oysters, steamed shrimp, mussels, crab and lobster roll, smoked salmon & two tuna tartare spoons $29 or the Colossal Crabcake Chesapeake (this used to be called something more regal when I had it, but it's the same thing) 1/2 lb jumbo lump crabcake gently mixed with only mayonnaise, Pommery Mustard, and egg; broiled and served with our house made mashed potatoes $32. (damn, i'm making myself hungry!!)

Sounds like the reviewer was on a budget!

I've never been for Brunch but it looks great and I'd love to get one of those giant carafes that only "drag queens" should be seen drinking from. Maybe I'm thirstier than most, but I didn't think they were all that big ;)

Long story short if anyone hasn't been there, and was put off by the review that shan't be named, get down there and see for yourself.

MEZZANINE, a small restaurant in Carytown, thrives on offering local produce and products. It is a well-run operation that enjoys considerable repeat business. In fact, it has been successful enough to encourage the owners to open a second spot at 1501 West Main in the former Texas/Wisconsin Border Cafe. The new restaurant/bar will be called BELLY TIMBER TAVERN and will open in the spring.

Story by Joan Tuppence in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-170407/330377/

MEZZANINE

3433 West Cary Street

804/353-2186

http://www.mezzanine3433.com (click the bubble reading "Style Weekly Restaurant of the Year" to see a neat video.)

Edited by burt

My first visit to a McCormick and Schmick's restaurant was at its original location known as Jake's Famous Crawfish in Portland, Oregon. That was back in 1984.

Last night my friend Joan and I had dinner at McCormick and Schmick's Seafood Restaurant on West 52nd Street at Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue) here in New York. It's a large, high-celinged room and despite the crowd we were able to carry on a conversation without being drowned out by fellow diners. I had my usual very dry Manhattan followed by a sampler of oysters on the shell, then a couple of glasses of a Spanish white along with a salad and Rainbow Trout. Delicious! The bill for both of us (including tax and tip) was $160.00.

I suppose the chain has abandoned plans for the Richmond area after a location was announced for West Broad Village. I know many of you disdain chain restaurants, but McCORMICK AND SCHMICKS SEAFOOD RESTAURANT would be a good fit in the large corner space of Miller & Rhoads at 6th and Grace Streets, IMO.

From friends who were at the Convention Center for a custom bike (bicycle) show, I heard the place was packed for the wine expo.

In my post on this subject dated March 3rd I disputed Deveron Timberlake's Style Weekly Report of over 75,000 people visiting the Wine Expo at the Greater Richmond Convention Center in downtown Richmond. Today, another writer in Style Weekly verifies that, indeed, 75,000 people did attend the expo -- averaging over 25,000 each day.

That has to be a record for a downtown event! thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The mysterious and elusive Peter Chang who has WOWed critcs in New York, Washington and Atlanta with his authentic Chinese cuisine might soon make his biggest and fanciest splash at West Broad Village in Richmond.

Noted for strip mall settings, plain decor and extraordinary kitchen talents, Chang settles in for a spell and then moves along. A Ma and Pa Chinese restaurant in Charlottesville had Chang on board for a while before he departed because of worries that his reputation might suffer from management and service shortcomings.

Rumors swirl that his future plans may lie in West Broad Village where a snazzy new 5,000 s/f space would accommodate up to a couple hundred customers.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.c...9D3430288834D1D

NOTE: This Peter Chang has no affiliation with the PF CHANG chain which is owned by the Flemings Steak House group.

Since crowds follow Chang wherever he goes, my wish is that he would consider the 6th and Grace corner of old Miller & Rhoads. Visitors to near-by Center Stage, Convention Center, Coliseum, new Fed CH and The National as well as government and business offices need an upscale destination dining experience in the area.

Edited by burt

Once known as The Track and considered by some as Carytown's best, the restaurant is under new management, has been gussied up and calls itself BONVENU. The Esperanto word translates to "Welcome" and RTD critic Dana Craig lauds it with 3-star praise.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/dining/article/W-DINE011_20100331-191801/334258/

BONVENU

Dana's rating: 3 Stars

2915 West Cary Street (across from The Byrd Theatre)

804/342-1003

http://www.bonvenu.com

Noise Level: Average to high

Tab for two: $72

Richmond dot com provides a look at 40 out-door dining options in Metro Richmond.

Enjoy the slideshow (click "captions" to identify each restaurant:)

http://www2.richmond...uide-slideshow/

NOTE: By Virginia law, alcohol may not be served on public sidewalks; thus, most outdoor dining options are on private property usually in garden settings, patios or with dividers separating tables from public areas.

Edited by burt

Style Weekly's critic, John Haddad says Chef Philip Denny's cooking "offers glimpses of brilliance" at SIX BURNER in The Fan, but he's not that flattering to the restaurant's service staff.

Denny's magic in the kitchen is attracting large crowds to the "in" spot of The Fan District. I'll certainly try it out on a future Richmond visit.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=1CB807BB00314AECADAEE470A9AEC615&AudID=B41896E73131487DA9D3430288834D1D

SIX BURNER

1627 West Main Street in The Fan District

804/353-4066

Hold your hats, folks. Here it comes!

Speaking of AMUSE, local doyen of philanthropy and haute couture Pam Reynolds claims:

"It's just a magical space. It's the most incredible destination restaurant I'd say on the East Coast, not just in Richmond. We'll have these major exhibitions here and we'll have a world-class restaurant."

Style Weekly's Deveron Timberlake elaborates today on the elegant space that will open May 3rd within the rejuvenated Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

If it's that fancy, I suspect diners will hone their French and begin calling it "Amooze" whilst they nosh and gaze through glass windows at Sol LeWitt's tall and colorful Splotch #22.

Unfortunately, it's an early-lunch-tea-cocktail setting since closing hour will be 5:00PM except on Thursdays when dinner will be served (and possibly, at a later date, on Fridays.)

But wait! There's more.

A cafe called BEST, honoring Sydney and Frances Lewis who founded Best Products and gave their art deco collection to VMFA, will offer lighter fare.

Here is Deveron Timberlake's Style Weekly column:

http://styleweekly.c...9D3430288834D1D

AMUSE and BEST

in The Virginia Museum of fine Arts

Grove Avenue and The Boulevard in Richmond's Museum District.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Melissa Ruggieri mentions in her Table Talk column today that The Downtown Richmond Marriott is opening a new bar off the lobby and adjacent to T. MILLER's that will be called LIBERTY. However, it will be open only when the hotel is running at 60% capacity or better.

There is another bar at the other end of the lobby near the 5th Street entrance where one can sip a drink in relative peace and quiet. I wonder if LIBERTY will be as noisy as T. MILLER's SPORTS BAR with its countless television sets?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from Melissa: Remember the former location of ACACIA in the old church building on West Cary Street? It is now called 3325 WEST CAFE and serves lunch everyday except Sunday. It is owned by William Simon and will open for dinner pending issuance of an ABC license.

Meanwhile, the new Acacia at Robinson and West Cary Streets continues to receive raves from the press and diners alike.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE TRELLIS in Williamsburg reopens under new management next Monday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visitors who frequent THE HAT FACTORY for concerts and events will have the option of burgers, microbrews and other specialties at a new restaurant on site called CURENT which opens May 1st. The dining area in the Shockoe Slip venue on The Canal Turning basin was formerely known as Highwater.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig gives two-and-a-half stars in her RTD review of MA MA WOK. It is a new Chinese Restaurant with sushi and adventurous items intermingled on the menu with standard fare.

MA MA WOK

Dana's Rating 2 1/2 Stars

7801 West Broad Street

804/672-8989

http://www.mamawokrichmond.com

Noise level: Average

Tab for Two: $34

Although Dana does not identify the location, the Gallery photos on the website look suspiciously to me like old Franco's Italian Restaurant. That excellent Italian restaurant was owned by the founders of SENSI in Tobacco Row.

Here's Dana's review:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/dining/article/W-DINE15_20100414-190405/337342/

Edited by burt

Although Dana does not identify the location, the Gallery photos on the website look suspiciously to me like old Franco's Italian Restaurant.

Maybe, but the site was most recently an "American Cafe" which closed some time ago and the property has been empty for a while. It's in the same shopping center ad Buffalo Wild Wings.

Maybe, but the site was most recently an "American Cafe" which closed some time ago and the property has been empty for a while. It's in the same shopping center ad Buffalo Wild Wings.

Thanks, King Dog. Franco's was in a shopping center and I believe there was another shopping center across the side road at the corner of West Broad which has a TJ Max.

Here are a few restaurant tidbits picked up from Karri Peifer of Richmond dot com:

CAFE OLE, the popular lunch spot on North 6th between East Main and East Franklin Streets, has expanded to Carytown. It's at the former Ben & Jerry's in the 2900 block of West Cary across from the Byrd Theatre. While the downtown eatery is a day-light operation, CAFE OLE in the West End will add dinner service soon.

Award winning chef Frits Huntjens whose legacy is 1 North Belmont is now Executive Chef at POSITIVE VIBE CAFE located in Stratford Hills at 2825 Hathaway Road south of The James. Tel. 804/560-9622.

Remember Enoteca Sogno? It is now called THE EMPRESS and serves up breakfast, lunch and dinner from 6:30AM 'til 11:30PM on weekdays. Menu offerings are described as "American/Bakery." THE EMPRESS (tel. 804/592-4000) is located at 2043 West Broad Street, just a few doors east of the new in-spot called The Republic.

Edited by burt