Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

While not surprised, it makes me sad that a good local restaurant in a quaint and real location closes and a chain restuarant in a fake and clustered location has a 45 minute wait.

That is frustrating. Retail and restaurants will be hit hard by the coming recession/depression. I only hope we have the presence of mind to spend our money in the places that give Richmond its unique identity and help them stay open instead of supporting the further homogenization/commercialization of America. I don't think this one comparison necessarily suggests a trend. Several chains near me have shut down while more established, locally owned businesses remain.

That is frustrating. Retail and restaurants will be hit hard by the coming recession/depression. I only hope we have the presence of mind to spend our money in the places that give Richmond its unique identity and help them stay open instead of supporting the further homogenization/commercialization of America. I don't think this one comparison necessarily suggests a trend. Several chains near me have shut down while more established, locally owned businesses remain.

I like to think that I'm an equal opportunity eater. I eat at chains and local restaurants. Do I support more one than the other? No, I don't think so. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for. If I want Italian, sometimes I'll drive to Edo's Squid or one of the other local Italian joints. But I also really enjoy Bertucci's so that get's thrown in the mix as well. I understand and agree that we need to support the local restaurants, but I'm not going to stop going to the chains either.

There are tons of bad restaurants that are chains and locally owned. I don't think it's right to bash Kona Grill for being a chain. Sadly a lot of the "local" restaurants have gotten by far too long on their reputation. The fan is littered with restaurants that are way over priced, dirty, have bad service and average food. Sadly some of these chains just out perform a lot of the local restaurants as far as being a better value and being consistent. I prime example was Karzen's in Cary Town that closed. It had an ok atmosphere, good food and ok service. But for the price it was way out of its league. For about the same price you can go to Flemings Steak house and banks on the fact that you will get great service, great atmosphere and great food. This is just one example but clearly the bar has been raised and some of these overpriced local restaurants need to step it up.

On a side note I don't like the fact that locally owned small businesses are at a big disadvantage b/c it is much harder for them to offer healthcare coverage to their employees. If small businesses are the backbone of this country we need to do something to level the playing field.

Karsen's probably wasn't the best example to use in this case for the fact that they closed when the market decided they weren't a good value. That's what should happen. What local restaurants do you feel survive on reputation alone? Chains have another advantage over mom and pop businesses in that they have huge marketing budgets and access to cheap, pre-fab food. Do you think Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays, or TGI Friday would survive if it wasn't for their television marketing and cheap, fast food fare? This is getting into my personal politics but I hate watching every city in this country become a bland replica of the other. I honestly couldn't tell you any difference between the Far West End and Northern VA or most any suburb of America. You see the same signs, in the same strip malls, and the same vinyl-clad houses on the same cul-de-sacs. I feel like the souls of our communities are being sold to corporations and advertising agencies and that many are complacently going along with it. In the realm of the natural world, sameness or lack of diversity in a biological system is a sure path to extinction. Perhaps that's why many of us reject the chain trend that has been taking place since the 50's. And by the way, I don't believe we should support an establishment solely because it's local but if just a fraction of our money that currently goes toward chain stores and restaurants would be redirected towards unique, locally owned establishments, imagine how fun and vibrant our communities could be? Sorry for the rant but I just felt I had to explain the reasoning behind my prejudice against chains.

Well, I don't like to throw a restaurant under the bus but I'll say that the last time I had dinner at Helen's (about 1 year ago) it was average food and for some reason we were sat in the back room at a very uncomfortable table (not very crowded). Service was not that hot either and the men's batheroom was a phone booth. The prices were very high. We also had a bad experience at Sam Miller's. These are two examples and maybe they were just having an off night? But for what we spent were are not going back to find out. There are other places I could also name. I think it was Style Weekly or the RTD that was very critical of restaurants in the city and I think it was in response to the restaurants blaming the increased taxes in the city for their problems. The article addressed issues that a lot of restaurants in the city have = serving attitude and not being that clean or putting money into better accomodations.

I understand your point about supporting small businesses and wanting diversity. We eat out weekly at a lot of ethnic restaurant (Indian, Vietnamese, Thai). My point was that I'm not going to black ball a chain like Kona Grill just because they are a chain. Some chain restaurants do a great job.

many times, i have gone to locally owned places, only to be disappointed.

There are also those that can't be touched. Comforts, Millie's, even maybe hard shell? I can't image a chain doing the same thing they do.

But is mama zu's all that good? if you add in the wait time, the atmosphere, and the crappy service?

I frequent Thai Diner over Tara Thai 100% of the time.

But i have not found a place that can do Friday's Jack Daniel's at 11 at night...

I'd be willing to bet my quarter that there are more locally-owned quality restaurants within the bounds of Rt 195, 95, the East End and The James River than in any similar sized area across the State. Choices in the entire Metro region are astounding. Many neighborhood bars and restaurants do turn-away business at the weekends, even in this economy.

Further, like having Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom and other top-line retail, first-class chain eating/drinking establishments add panache to the region's reputation. Word gets around -- "Hey, Richmond's got Cheesecake Factory, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Flemmings, P.F. Chang's, Maggiano's, Dave and Buster's, McCormick & Schmicks, Kona Grill, Bass Pro, Texas de Brazil, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera."

The Tobacco Company, probably the longest running, consistently crowded restaurant is, and has been, locally owned since its inception. It's an institution, though often dismissed by some locals.

How about Sensi, Bookbinder's, The Dining Room at the Berkeley, TJ's, Gibson's Grill and dozens of others in Church Hill, The Bottom, The Slip, The Gallery District, The Fan and Museum District?

Richmond doesn't hurt for dining options whether home-based or corporate, but there's room for improvement in both categories.

Amongst the locals there are some that have expanded operations -- Millie's/LuLu's -- LaGrotta/Amici/Bistro 27 -- Mamma 'Zu/Edo's Squid -- Comfort and a sister operation in Portsmouth -- Bank/Si/Vault. Also the Michelle Williams' empire and Johnny Giavos' collection of eateries.

Mo Roman's latest, Pie, is nearing completion in Berry Burk at 6th and Grace. The Boathouse at Brandermill will launch an expansion at Rocketts Landing. Six Burner is awaiting an economic upturn before committing to a second excellent bistro on East Grace Street next door to Berry Burk.

Personally, I'd like to see Capital Grille take up residence at the 6th and Grace corner of Miller & Rhoads.

Dana Craig has discovered a restaurant that former dining-out critic, Davis Morton, discovered two or three years ago. Mr. Morton found it somewhat more appealing than Dana, but that's likely due to new management. Certainly the new name suggests a down-home, countrylike ambiance. Formerly known as Andre's under the guidance of an Asian couple, it is now called MY RESTAURANT and is located near the junction of Courthouse and Hull Street Roads.

The Times Dispatch Production Department failed to include an informative box with Dana's rating, but here is some pertinent info I've gleaned from other sources:

MY RESTAURANT

3511 Courthouse Road

tel. 804/276-8677

Reasonable prices.

Here's Dana's appraisal in today's R-TD sans details:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-183413/229139/

NOTE: Since I posted this earlier today, the R-TD has added Dana's Info Box which includes her two and a half star rating, a website and other pertinent info such as $61 Tab for Two..

Edited by burt

In her R-TD Table Talk column today, Melissa Rugierri breaks the news that THE TOBACCO COMPANY at 1201 East Cary Street in The Slip has a new kitchen team headed up by Los Angeles transplant David Mussi. His first addition to the menu will be a "California Market Salad with baby arugula, candied pecans, goat cheese, grilled chicken, red onions, toy box tomatoes, cranberry raisins and avocado in a cashew vinaigrette."

Deveron Timberlake's "Short Order" column in Style Weekly advises that John Sanchez has started opening his QUE PASA restaurant at 6am daily to serve a variety of Rostov's coffees and light fare in front of a roaring fire place.

QUE PASA occupies the odd-shaped building at the five points corner of 25th and M Streets in Church Hill. 623 North 25th Street, tel. 804/402-7502.

Sanchez is planning a new hot project downtown on Grace Street, according to Deveron.

Now through April the Shahi Kitchen buffet is only $6.99. This is a new Indian Restaurant between Hungary Springs and Parham by the Red Lobster. There buffet is easily the best in Richmond and has tons of dishes. Goat is usually on the buffet. There was a good Style Weekly review a while back.

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...9D3430288834D1D

Now through April the Shahi Kitchen buffet is only $6.99. This is a new Indian Restaurant between Hungary Springs and Parham by the Red Lobster. There buffet is easily the best in Richmond and has tons of dishes. Goat is usually on the buffet. There was a good Style Weekly review a while back.

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...9D3430288834D1D

Thanks, NYC. SHAHI KITCHEN occupies the former Aunt Sarah's Pancake House in the West End at 7927 West Broad Street, tel. 804/290-0666.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Dana goes Carribbean with the help of the recently expanded PAPA NINGO in Shockoe Bottom. There's even space in the addition to dance off a few pounds.

Check out her 3 1/2-star Times Dispatch review complete with slide show:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-182721/235009/

PAPA NINGO

1705 East Franklin Street

804/775-2440

Smoke-free

Tab for two: $44.

Dana Craig has found another treasure and has awarded it three and a half stars. It is called ASIANA BISTRO and is located at an obscure location in burgeoning Powhatan County.

The slideshow is beautiful and has a charming musical score tingling along as you admire the beauties of Far East culinary treats.

From today's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-193010/240871/

ASIANA BISTRO

Dana's rating: 3 1/2 stars

1800 D South Creek One (it's at South Creek Shopping Center somewhere in Powhatan County, if that helps!)

Tel. 804/594-3600 (You may need to call in order to find this weird location.)

Noise Level: Average

Smoke Free

Tab for two: $46

Edited by burt

Take that, KONA GRILL!! You get only a one-and-a-half-star rating from the R-TD's Dana Craig. She thinks your kitchen is heavy on spices and service is inconsistent. But she likes your look. ;)

The Arizona-based chain has about 22 restaurants in the US of A, and only three are on the East Coast -- Stamford, West Palm Beach and Richmond.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-184410/246577/

KONA GRILL

Dana's rating: One and a half star

11221 West Broad Street (in West Broad Village)

804/364-5660 (and it would be wise to call for reservations and be prepared to idle at the bar for a while)

Noise Level: High

Smoking -- Well...yes and no

Tab for two: First visit on a Thursday, $67. On a subsequent Saturday, $51

EASY STREET, the nabe hang-out at 2401 West Main Street, has reopened under new management. There will be more emphasis on food this go-around. But as owners say, since they don't take reservations there's no need to post a phone number. :unsure:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POMEGRANATE EURO BISTRO has closed up shop at 1209 East Cary Street. IMO, it was among the best restaurants in the City. Here's hoping a new and exciting tenant will be found for the property.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full name escapes me for the moment, but the restaurant/entertainment mecca with BUSTER in its title is reportedly on schedule to open at West Broad Village this month.

I think reports of RENDEZVOUS' demise have been premature. I've seen a couple of photos of the place, and apparently a section of the club is called The Castle Room. If anyone has info on this spot at 17-19 West Broad Street (between TARRANTS and BISTRO 27), please enlighten us.

Edited by burt

I spoke with a server at 27 about a month ago about the state of RENDEZVOUS. She said that the owner of the club was trying to replicate the business model of a successful club he owns in South Beach. The owner apparently has little to no knowledge of the restaurant business, has hired inexperienced wait staff, and is charging "South Beach" prices for mediocre food. The server told me that the owner had consulted with the owner/manager (not sure) of 27 in an effort to improve RENDEZVOUS. Right now, my understanding is that the club/restaurant/lounge continues to lose money or at best is just breaking even. However, apparently the owner has very deep pockets and is trying to make things work.

I spoke with a server at 27 about a month ago about the state of RENDEZVOUS. She said that the owner of the club was trying to replicate the business model of a successful club he owns in South Beach. The owner apparently has little to no knowledge of the restaurant business, has hired inexperienced wait staff, and is charging "South Beach" prices for mediocre food. The server told me that the owner had consulted with the owner/manager (not sure) of 27 in an effort to improve RENDEZVOUS. Right now, my understanding is that the club/restaurant/lounge continues to lose money or at best is just breaking even. However, apparently the owner has very deep pockets and is trying to make things work.

Thanks for the update, gntrphoo.

A story in today's RTD about tonight's First Friday Art Walk reports that "RENDEZVOUS RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE at 17-19 West Broad Street will celebrate the opening of its Castle Room Nite Club at 7PM."

Here are a couple of items from Melissa Rugierri'sTable Talk column in today's RTD.

BUFFALO WILD WINGS is opening in yet another Richmond area location. The newest one is set to debut Monday, April 13th in the former American Fitness Center at 4300 pouncy Tract Road in Short Pump;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIREBIRD'S WOOD FIRED GRILL, a prominent chain restaurant in the middle of Short Pump Town Center is expanding. It will open a second operation south of the James in The Shoppes at Belevedere on Robius Road.

A spokesperson at the SPTC location says the new restaurant will be at the intersection of Huguenot and Robious Roads. I think that is the shopping center diagonally across the Norfolk Southern RR tracks from Belgrade and Ruth's Chris Steak House.

Edited by burt

You're generally correct about Firebirds -- easier to say that it's directly across Robious from the Great Big Greenhouse and Bailey's. Their sign has been up forever and I had started to worry that the economy had claimed another victim.

On another note, there appears to be another restaurant opened in Winterfield Place across from Mediterraneo -- a restaurant called Wild Ginger. There is also a small wine shop that has opened there.

Here are a couple of items from Melissa Rugierri'sTable Talk column in today's RTD.

BUFFALO WILD WINGS is opening in yet another Richmond area location. The newest one is set to debut Monday, April 13th in the former American Fitness Center at 4300 pouncy Tract Road in Short Pump;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIREBIRD'S WOOD FIRED GRILL, a prominent chain restaurant in the middle of Short Pump Town Center is expanding. It will open a second operation south of the James in The Shoppes at Belevedere on Robius Road.

A spokesperson at the SPTC location says the new restaurant will be at the intersection of Huguenot and Robious Roads. I think that is the shopping center diagonally across the Norfolk Southern RR tracks from Belgrade and Ruth's Chris Steak House.

It will actually be on the same side of Robious Rd as Ruth's Chris but on the other side of Huguenot (just past the mini-storage place and next to a new apartment development).

OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS on Tobacco Row:

Here is Dana Craig's latest 4-star rave in today's Times Dispatch. The newspaper, in its new short-changed economic situation, sometimes omits things such as an info box that gives readers info on location, phone number and other pertinent details, but I'll fill in best I can with my own info list below this posting.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-184005/252065/

Philadelphia was the one and only site of OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS until a franchise operation was approved for Richmond. Another franchise was "entertained" for Chapel Hill, but I don't think it materialized.

A decade or so ago, I dined at the Philadelphia original a few times while working in the city (there was for years a competing restaurant with similar name but no affiliation operating in Society Hill.) I have also dined in Richmond at the elegant, comfortable and delicious BOOKBINDERS on East Cary Street and found it equal or better than the original.

Be sure to check out Dana's Slide Show which, again, is nicely scored with background music.

OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS

2306 East Cary Street

804/643-6900

Dana's rating: 4 Stars

Noise Level: Comfortable

Smoking: Bar and lounge only

Tab for two: Not available, but expect to spend well over $100

Edited by burt