Best Photo Op of Downtown Skyline?

jwilliek

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome jwiliek, good to have another South Carolinian on board. I agree with you; the Bank of America tower is one of the nicer ones in the city, but it is often left out of skyline shots, especially in the "classic" skyline photo taken from Finlay Park. It would be nice if the next few towers to be built (WHENEVER that will be) will somehow connect between that end of Main Street and where the collection of towers is now, closer to the Statehouse.

jwiliek I don't know if you have seen wacamatt's photo of Columbia's skyline from off of I-77 beltway but it shows pretty much all of the buildings in Cola's skyline not sure what neighborhood it was taken from though? It's a great picture though. It's ironic b/c the only building that you can't see is the Meridian, but you can make out the boa plaza though.

Waccamatt's pics are great, but the ones from I-77 are more panoramic. They are not as close as the pics generally used for marketing purposes, and I wish that the BOA plaza could be shown in those but due to its distance from the main cluster of towers (Wachovia, SouthTrust, Meridian, Barringer, Palmetto, future First Citizens, etc.), it gets left out a lot. Too bad, it's a great-looking building. And it's not flat-topped like most in Columbia.

I've been up to the top of the Humanites office building once to meet with a professor. Its a decent view, but Senate Plaza is still a problem.

If someone has a large enough zoom lens, the angle & view from waccamatt's photo would be great.

Hm. Thanks, Spartan. I wonder if one can capture all the buildings in view from the top of Senate Plaza (being that it's the one in the way) or maybe the Heritage Building condos farther down the street. Or perhaps even a view from the north instead? I know there's a tall old brick building on Calhoun St near Elmwood that looks similar to buildings near USC like Claire Tower and Cornell Arms. I can't tell if it's retirement housing or what. Well anyway, waccamatt's picture is certainly a nice one; I had it as my desktop for a while.

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.

I just found the below picture, an artist's rendering of the Columbia skyline from emporis.com. I can't remember how I ended up at the site, but I think it was through a picture of Charleston in another forum. This site has lots of pictures of the skyline, and unique buildings, low rise buildings, and even all the high rise buildings listed in order of height. I recommend browsing it in your spare time.

Columbia, SC @ emporis.com

I had to remove that picture, jwilliek, because emporis doesn't like their material shared like that. I have always found their renderings a bit odd though. Everythign is smashed together....

I bet the view od downtown from Senate Plaza would be a good one. I have a friend who lives there, but his apartment looks the other direction. Very scenic though :)

That tower on Calhoun is retirement housing. Its name escapes me though.

The view from the Humanities Building isn't really that awesome. I remember having English classes there and it was blocked by Senate (as said before). I've seen the skyline from Darla Moore and it probably has the best angle but you'd need to access the roof if your class isn't above the 5th floor and I believe Capstone should have an awesome view, considering it's the tallest or one of the tallest on campus.

Archived