• Abilene
    • Waco
    • Beaumont
    • McAllen
    • Odessa
    • Laredo
    • Brownsville
    • Corpus Christi
    • City in Dal-FTW Metro area (please specify)
    • City in Houston metro are (please specify)
    • Other (Note: Must be a MAJOR city (35,000+, generally)

Texas has so many well planned cities. Just wanted to see what you think is the best.

Please consider:

-Street plan

-Rapid transit (not absolutely necessary, but helps; well planned streets can make up for it)

-Highway plan

-Pedestrian-friendly?

-Postion of skyscrapers (in a single area, or does a supertall building appear out of nowhere?)

-Parks (size and/or number and if they are well maintained)

-Infrastructure

-Other important assets to a well-planned city

I voted for Dallas. It has some of the best in many areas.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know which city has the best. Just know that Dallas is very strictly zoned and this is usually done a neighborhood at a time, which is why I guess it seems well planned. Everything from store appearances, setbacks, heights, etc for every neighborhood and street. According to the city of Dallas, they don't really have a plan, though I disagree. Its simply a collection of micromanaged to death zones, that happen to be working well right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Houston has no zoning, so I don't think it should even be on there.

I say Lubbock, not because it's the most beautiful city in the state (in fact, I think it's just barely above Amarillo for ugliest), but it's well-laid out and well-planned.

There is a good grid system in place, with high-speed surface roads going off in different directions. There is also the loop freeway and freeway running through the city. Traffic flows very well there.

I've never seen any problems with zoning, but lots of abandoned buildings.

Lubbock sucks, but I think it's best in this category.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I really don't see how Austin came out ahead of San Antonio. When Austin's highway system can't catch up to it's population. San Antonio has one of the best smart hightway systems in the nation. We have two loops in San Antonio and near downtown upper and lower levels of hwy 35 and I-10. Austin is still working on completing a loop that does have stop lights

I really don't see how Austin came out ahead of San Antonio. When Austin's highway system can't catch up to it's population. San Antonio has one of the best smart hightway systems in the nation. We have two loops in San Antonio and near downtown upper and lower levels of hwy 35 and I-10. Austin is still working on completing a loop that does have stop lights

SORRY, last sentence was wrong: here's the new version

I really don't see how Austin came out ahead of San Antonio. When Austin's highway system can't catch up to it's population. San Antonio has one of the best smart hightway systems in the nation. We have two loops in San Antonio and near downtown upper and lower levels of hwy 35 and I-10. Austin is still working on completing a loop that does NOT have stop lights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would consider transportation the main factor for "best city plan." I vote for Austin, but not for the reasons listed on this thread.

First of all, is it so bad that a city not play to the masses of commuters by building a swath of highways? Austin is the only city in Texas that has focused on other city-plan factors such as access to green space/parkland, quality of water/streams, and affordable housing (ranked as one of the best in the country.

Moreover, our downtown grid system is mostly intact and is undergoing dramatic changes with new residential development. Furthermore, Austin never had to deal with the white flight issues that faced Dallas and Houston (and polarized their city centers,) so Austin is now in a position to grow from the outside in rather than the inside out.

I don't know of another Texas city where I can swim in a creek, walk home, and walk to work. All on a downtown grid system. THAT is a city plan.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived