Downtown Marriott Residence Inn

Florida

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with you TJ. Part of the reason I come to this board is to read about all the new projects planned or currently under construction. I enjoy the honest enthusiasm posters have for our fair city and the excitement that our city is getting better and better each year. We should expect quality work and planning for sure, but the nitpickers don't see the larger picture.

I am with you TJ. Part of the reason I come to this board is to read about all the new projects planned or currently under construction. I enjoy the honest enthusiasm posters have for our fair city and the excitement that our city is getting better and better each year. We should expect quality work and planning for sure, but the nitpickers don't see the larger picture.

time out, nitpickers.......don't see the larger picture?...i would have to respectfully disagree with your use of the word nitpicker and your statement as a whole. who are you to say that "nitpickers"

don't see the larger picture? have you thought that your statement might be a reflection of how these nitpickers might see you? what is the exact non nitpicking larger picture? :blink:

the downtown marriot residence in might as well be on the interstate next to a bunch of billboards saying come to wiki whatchama call it springs and swim with the mermaids.... :P yes it brings a start to the area, but is just a start the most important thing? how about some architectural integrity? how about wide setbacks to create a ped friendly environment. i would rather wait and make gaines truly special, than to get the project started for starting sakes and have gaines end up like a newer nicer version of tennessee st.

how do you like that nitpicking?

:whistling:

the downtown marriot residence in might as well be on the interstate next to a bunch of billboards saying come to wiki whatchama call it springs and swim with the mermaids.... :P

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh, you are gonna make me say it again, my NITPICK is that this hotel does not look like every roadside/freeway/interstate budget hotel!!!!! Now it does look like many urban set hotels in many cities, but roadside, NO WAY!

Oh yeah, and Weeki Wachee is a tacky part of Old Florida I adore, much better than that big ole Rat. But I understand that's not what your point was here.

Nitpick over, carry on...............

Well, in all honesty, "nitpicking" is exactly what has going on here lately, not to point at any one person in particular. This is a nice project, original or common to other cities. Many of us agree the design could be much worse, and most of us see its not perfect. But I agree with Poonther's statement that this is no motel/typical roadside design.

In the face of rising real estate and construction cost, coupled with the riskyness of being the first to build in a blighted area that we seek to revitalize, I wouldn't expect a 5 star hotel, or $60 Million tower. I think the size, design, and color of the building is compatible with what was presented as the plan for the future of Gaines Street. I know I've said this many times and I encourage everyone who hasn't to look thru the Gaines Street Plan at some of the example images they used. I'm more than confident, you'd see something much like this project in that document, matter of fact the colors were nearly the same, matertials also the only difference was in "the Plan" they displayed a Barnes and Noble Bookstore, here we have a much larger building in a hotel.

Nothing is perfect, but it seems many of us, have tons of negative comments to say about the design or have decided to jump on a bash-bandwagon. Some of us sit back understanding there will be projects we do and don't like. But surely, no improvements are currently proposed that will doom the future of the Gaines Street Corridor, the Downtown or "Greater Tallahassee".

Well, in all honesty, "nitpicking" is exactly what has going on here lately, not to point at any one person in particular. This is a nice project, original or common to other cities. Many of us agree the design could be much worse, and most of us see its not perfect. But I agree with Poonther's statement that this is no motel/typical roadside design.

In the face of rising real estate and construction cost, coupled with the riskyness of being the first to build in a blighted area that we seek to revitalize, I wouldn't expect a 5 star hotel, or $60 Million tower. I think the size, design, and color of the building is compatible with what was presented as the plan for the future of Gaines Street. I know I've said this many times and I encourage everyone who hasn't to look thru the Gaines Street Plan at some of the example images they used. I'm more than confident, you'd see something much like this project in that document, matter of fact the colors were nearly the same, matertials also the only difference was in "the Plan" they displayed a Barnes and Noble Bookstore, here we have a much larger building in a hotel.

Nothing is perfect, but it seems many of us, have tons of negative comments to say about the design or have decided to jump on a bash-bandwagon. Some of us sit back understanding there will be projects we do and don't like. But surely, no improvements are currently proposed that will doom the future of the Gaines Street Corridor, the Downtown or "Greater Tallahassee".

how about dissatisfied band-wagon......what is wrong with disagreeing? should i sit and think up a category for you? how about if i posted and considered taurenj in the naively enthusiastic band-wagon. paired with comments about his vision being commercial and shallow promoting vehicle traffic..... :w00t:

i would not make those comments to begin with......wait i just did :shok: ....ok ok ok, as you can tell i have nothing to do today, but i was just saying there no need to call opposing comments negative, i consider them constructive and part of the process....a little urban planning discourse......however we do disagree and there is no convincing the other. you make valid points about 5 star hotels, etc.., however give me some setbacks that promote walking and outdoor cafes..... then we will have a destination...i know marriot has a corporate interest but i have a community one....make corporate entities moving to gaines stick to some sort of building code that promotes harmony with our environment....no clickable smile here....

taurenj and everyone why can't it be perfect? :wacko:

enjoy your sunday....

bye for now

Nothing is perfect, but it seems many of us, have tons of negative comments to say about the design or have decided to jump on a bash-bandwagon.

You cant make comments like that and then get upset when someone responds...

Because of comments like this I've chosen to limit my activity on UrbanPlanet to maintain the civil tone we've enjoyed since April 05. I think perhaps I've worn out my welcome when I no longer enjoy reading or posting in a forum I worked so hard to help build.

--Goodbye for now

Well, I personally think thats unfortunate and immature. Yes, you have more posts here than anyone, but every other contributor helped build this forum up just as much. However, negative views on something you may like is part of life. If you become an urban planner, or developer, there are going to be people who dont like your work. You're going to have to deal with that. I havent seen any disrespectful comments made about this project. There are those who like and those who dislike, engaging in good/respectful debate about it. Debate doesnt automatically mean things are civil.

Selfish, I think best describes it...

Because of comments like this I've chosen to limit my activity on UrbanPlanet to maintain the civil tone we've enjoyed since April 05. I think perhaps I've worn out my welcome when I no longer enjoy reading or posting in a forum I worked so hard to help build.

--Goodbye for now

taureanj....comments like what man?......you have not worn out your welcome.....debate is healthy and some where in the middle things meet. my tone? if anything i am trying to use humor to make a point that disagreement is part of the process, and constructive......and to characterize an opposing view as negative is way of dismissing debate you disagree with. ideas are exchanged through communication whether agreed upon are not. for example fsu campus expansion, some believe build up others build out.....who is right? i do not know, but i do know this, i am/was in the build out camp, but i have to admit the whole build up idea is a viable alternative if necessary, brought to light while disagreeing....

don't take offense....

g

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh, you are gonna make me say it again, my NITPICK is that this hotel does not look like every roadside/freeway/interstate budget hotel!!!!! Now it does look like many urban set hotels in many cities, but roadside, NO WAY!

Oh yeah, and Weeki Wachee is a tacky part of Old Florida I adore, much better than that big ole Rat. But I understand that's not what your point was here.

Nitpick over, carry on...............

nitpick one two, nitpick nitpick one two

poonther, i would like to see the project emphasize space for the people.... to take nice strolls, stop in or out for a coffee, read a book and do some people watching etc......the roadside freeway interstate comment is a bit over the top i do admit...........my main concern for gaines is not putting people and business first. i believe the gsvc has valid arguments......i have seen athens and chapel hill and the continuity from campus to a nice urban area....and it is amazing.......what we all want gaines to be........young people, old people, crazy people, etc. all mixed up nicely supporting a vibrant community.....tallahassee deserves this......marriot is taking a risk but make it........you know where i am going :silly: .......tallahassee has been waiting for this, we need it and will be a nice addition to our community

check check check it one two.....

I haven't commented on this thread lately (if at all) because I really don't have a strong viewpoint one way or the other on this one at this point. If anything I lean slightly towards the hotel being ok. I'm less familiar with this part of town by far than a lot of others.

On the other topic, I know we all want to see Tallahassee thrive. Even I, 9 hours away by car post here far more often than in the Middle Tennessee threads because I have a deep love and interest in Tallahassee. Disagreements are going to happen, but I think we're all mature enough to handle them civilly. I'd hate to see anyone leave on account of differences of opinion.

You cant make comments like that and then get upset when someone responds...

Well, I personally think thats unfortunate and immature. Yes, you have more posts here than anyone, but every other contributor helped build this forum up just as much. However, negative views on something you may like is part of life. If you become an urban planner, or developer, there are going to be people who dont like your work. You're going to have to deal with that. I havent seen any disrespectful comments made about this project. There are those who like and those who dislike, engaging in good/respectful debate about it. Debate doesnt automatically mean things are civil.

Selfish, I think best describes it...

Ah man GG cut him some slack please. While we all do contribute and make the Tally chat room great, it was TJ that founded this room. They just wanted Tally to be in "Other Cities in FL" room. We were not considered big enough to have our own room like the big 4 in FL. TJ got them to give us a room and "babysat" the room in the beginning to make it go. Without TJ's constant efforts, this room would not exist. He also posts over 95% of all pix that show up in our room. He updates us all the time visually on things going on around town. I bet we are the smallest or at least one of the smallest metros on U.P. w/over 10K hits. So cutting him a little slack would be in order don't you think? Even if you don't agree in the way he handled the situation.

I've never seen TJ get upset like this and it's really not in his nature as a poster. Maybe he's having a bad day or week and maybe there are external factors we don't know about. While he may not have handled this situation in the best way possible in some of our opinions, still it will hurt this room if he's gone forever and that's NOT what he said. He said that he just needs a little break and that's cool. Everyone needs that. I just hope he's not gone forever, that would be tragic.

Take a break for as long as you need TJ. Lurk or don't even stop by if you don't want to for a while, but please once you've found some peace do come back. You'll be missed!

Ah man GG cut him some slack please. While we all do contribute and make the Tally chat room great, it was TJ that founded this room. They just wanted Tally to be in "Other Cities in FL" room. We were not considered big enough to have our own room like the big 4 in FL. TJ got them to give us a room and "babysat" the room in the beginning to make it go. Without TJ's constant efforts, this room would not exist. He also posts over 95% of all pix that show up in our room. He updates us all the time visually on things going on around town. I bet we are the smallest or at least one of the smallest metros on U.P. w/over 10K hits. So cutting him a little slack would be in order don't you think? Even if you don't agree in the way he handled the situation.

I dont really think I did nor said anything out of line. I just dont think its right to dismiss other peoples idea as being negative or "band-wagon bashers" b/c their opinions do not coincide with yours, like gibson pointed out as well.

Those are impressive stats, no doubt, and I agree he works hard! Even though everyone else isnt an "insider" they contribute what they can to make this board what it is. I just hope this isnt a "lets see what yall are without me" type thing...

Maybe it was a bad day, but Ill say to that what I say to anyone else who feels they need to vent on someone else when theyre having a bad day, and its that your not going to be rude to me about it. If you'd like to talk about it, and vent to someone, great! Thats what were here for. But being rude, especially when there was no post that deserved such a response, is unnecessary.

Its nothing personal to TJ...I would have said it to anyone that posted it.

I dont really think I did nor said anything out of line.

I just hope this isnt a "lets see what yall are without me" type thing...

But being rude, especially when there was no post that deserved such a response, is unnecessary.

Its nothing personal to TJ...I would have said it to anyone that posted it.

I understand GG where you were coming from and I don't think you were really out of line. I was just askin' you to cut him a little slack is all.

I sincerely believe this is not a "let's see what y'all are w/out me type of thing" at all. Let's not even explore that idea.

Fighting rudeness w/rudeness is not always the best way either. I know that one b/c I'm way guilty of it myself.

How could TJ have not taken what you said personally, even though you are right, I've seen you call others out too before. :)

You aren't the "bad guy" at all in this GG. I really was just surprised by TJ and was more or less just thinking out loud about his contributions and his reasons for his actions is all. I meant no offense to you GG.

I just don't want TJ beat up for a moment of high drama.

How could TJ have not taken what you said personally, even though you are right, I've seen you call others out too before. :)

I do call people out, quite often, and I think the world really needs it to happen more often (although I wont do it simply b/c someone disagrees with me). Its a way of keeping people in check. If I slip, feel free to let me know about it. If I dont agree with you, Ill let it be know lol ;)

No offense taken, long live the palm tree! :thumbsup:

GG.

I have no beef with your disagreeing with me on anything. I've said it before, and many times more, that's why we have a discussion board. We aren't always going to agree.

But the sad reality is, there has been an increase in the number of hostile, abrassive, in-your-face comments posted in this thread and the All Saints thread that I feel are taking this group in the wrong direction, with regard to discussing how these changes underway will shape "The Big Picture" in Tallahassee. Furthermore there seems to be a devisive spirit among us.

I care for nothing more than to see our city shine moving into this new century. I feel our critisim could be more constructive rather than "nitpicky" as someone has already said. There's nothing we can do about the design and setbacks at this point. The building is going up and we must hope and pray when its complete it will be something we can be proud of.

Rather than getting into a "shouting match" or a name calling battle, I decided to step away to maintain order and professionalism among the group. I'm sorry if you see that as an immature way to handle the situation.

The comments about me leaving to see how well you all can do without me are cruel. Despite what you think GG, I've only worked with the city for less than 5-6 months, before that I sold cars for 3 months, and prior to that I worked at Publix over 4 years. I've not been an insider, I'm just a person who really LOVES TALLAHASSEE!

When the divisive spirit is gone I'll feel right coming back to participate as I have in the past. I just need time to collect myself, life is draining me, and I need time to recharge.

-tj :)

I'm glad to know you'll be back, TJ. The forum would certainly not be the same without you! My own feeling is that division is going to come up, we just all need to be respectful about it. You and I agree on a lot of things and disagree on a few, but I think we have a mutual respect for one another, and I feel the same way about every member on this board. We've got a good group of posters here.

GG.

I have no beef with your disagreeing with me on anything. I've said it before, and many times more, that's why we have a discussion board. We aren't always going to agree.

But the sad reality is, there has been an increase in the number of hostile, abrassive, in-your-face comments posted in this thread and the All Saints thread that I feel are taking this group in the wrong direction, with regard to discussing how these changes underway will shape "The Big Picture" in Tallahassee. Furthermore there seems to be a devisive spirit among us.

I care for nothing more than to see our city shine moving into this new century. I feel our critisim could be more constructive rather than "nitpicky" as someone has already said. There's nothing we can do about the design and setbacks at this point. The building is going up and we must hope and pray when its complete it will be something we can be proud of.

Rather than getting into a "shouting match" or a name calling battle, I decided to step away to maintain order and professionalism among the group. I'm sorry if you see that as an immature way to handle the situation.

The comments about me leaving to see how well you all can do without me are cruel. Despite what you think GG, I've only worked with the city for less than 5-6 months, before that I sold cars for 3 months, and prior to that I worked at Publix over 4 years. I've not been an insider, I'm just a person who really LOVES TALLAHASSEE!

When the divisive spirit is gone I'll feel right coming back to participate as I have in the past. I just need time to collect myself, life is draining me, and I need time to recharge.

-tj :)

Good deal. I have no beef with you either. Honestly, I havent kept up with the All Saints thread, after I saw what was going on, I simply stopped looking at it. But as far as this thread, I still dont think anything inappropriate has been said. Sure, we should be happy that progress is being made. But that still doesnt mean we cant nitpick at the projects we dont like. Im on your side, I like it. But I still respect the opinions of those that do not and would like to hear what they would do differently. Thats what this board is for. Negative discussion about a project doesnt mean that were not moving forward. There will always be a divisive spirit, and that is absolutely healthy. Thats normally how the best outcome is obtained. Its like Republicans and Democrats...both have completely different ideas on how to make this country better. They will nitpick, disagree, and sometimes argue with each other. But, at the end of the day, they all want the same thing, a better America.

But anyways, enjoy your break, my cruise leaves Friday... ;)

This thread isn't half as ugly or negative as what I have seen written on this site about FSU and TK. Which is a subject that means much to me...like Gaines Street is to you. Yet I keep coming back. Perhaps some are just upset because this is something that means something to them.

There isn't a sole on this site who hasn't gotten mean about something here. That is a fact.

TJ toughen up. You are the man and I love you on this site. I have seen you rip my beloved FSU regularly here in a very negative sense....but I respect you and believe your opinion is one that should be heard just like everyone else. Because folks point out the city is doing a bad job with the Gaines Street project so far,....which is in all honesty a fact given the original mission statement of the project, that is no reason to get upset and leave.

That said, a break can always be healthy....good luck and enjoy it.....and remember...we all love Tallahassee here, people just have different opinions about the subjects within Tally.

I still like the building.. I hope it becomes a destination i can utilize.

UP w/o TJ = A reprinting of a Democrate, without the pictures!

(but our newer members are bringing in some fantastic information- but TJ's broad understanding and organization input is priceless. sorry newbie's. with my 1k+ post i still have not added 1/50th of the goodness of the man, TJ)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived