Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

I already expect the 40acres in chaires my family has lived on for generations to grab a staggeringly better price in a couple of years. I have seen alot of folks dividing up thier lands in the area. Though i am sure the increase in population helped spur the retail some... I bet most of them wished they could've waited a little to sell.

I hope, at least, that prices will be higher after some of this growth. That land is my parents' retirement.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Post Script.

Perhapes instead of another open air market full of sweaty tallahasseans and tourist needing a break between pcola and jville, He should use his land to build a small footprinted, multi story mall. That way it can have a/c, a multi level parking facility, and a decrease in the amount of impermeable surface... plus, its got to be harder to steal within a mall indoors. That way it has something else, something to make it worth the drive for people who live in a much closer proximity to the other projects...

Does he own the land east of I10 also? If not then who...

I ask this because I'm not certain I have a great amount of confidence in DeVoe Moore and his proposals.

I've stated that I'll believe it when the groundbreaking occurs and the construction actually starts. Until then it's all talk and Moore is well-known for lots of talk and little follow-through. I'm wondering if this will be a similar situation.

Post Script.

Perhapes instead of another open air market full of sweaty tallahasseans and tourist needing a break between pcola and jville, He should use his land to build a small footprinted, multi story mall. That way it can have a/c, a multi level parking facility, and a decrease in the amount of impermeable surface... plus, its got to be harder to steal within a mall indoors. That way it has something else, something to make it worth the drive for people who live in a much closer proximity to the other projects...

Does he own the land east of I10 also? If not then who...

Sounds like someone is thinking like a planner!!! :D

I think the land east of I-10 is the Welaunee Property... or so I'm told.

I've stated that I'll believe it when the groundbreaking occurs and the construction actually starts. Until then it's all talk and Moore is well-known for lots of talk and little follow-through. I'm wondering if this will be a similar situation.

With the promise to bring us a Baseball team unfulfilled, the whole mess with the new Car Museum... I'm in the same state of mind as you.

Now that I am no longer employed by the County, and never signed a non-disclosure form, I can say that the last thing I saw (the plan may have changed in the last 3 months, but still) the plan really isn't that inspiring. The main goal of it is to attract drivers off of the interstate, at least from my perspective. The last thing I saw was a long strip mall with a small town center like element in the middle of it. From one end to the other, it was about 1/3 of a mile (not exactly inspiring for someone walking through on a cool, windy January day or on a brutally hot July or August afternoon). There was also a residential element that would be along Thornton Road that would be townhouses/apartments (not sure which).

This is interesting information. Psycuda do you remember where the project area was located along his property? Are the buildings lined along I-10 with parking on the Mahan side or are they line along Mahan (or near Mahan at all) with parking facing I-10? I've been trying to visualize where the mall would go, but now that you say is almost a third of a mile long, I'm thinking I've got the wrong area in mind. Perhaps it will be located where his sign advertising his car museum is.

I heard Governor's Square Mall is remodeling soon. New floors (tile), painting and lighting. When I was there for pre-Christmas shopping, I thought it was ready for a facelift. Anyone else heard any additional details?

I see Tallahassee Mall has more vacant spots than ever. I guess Dillard's will be gone from there soon. I saw this weekend that both Broadway's and Garfield's are closed too! What is going on over there?

I heard Governor's Square Mall is remodeling soon. New floors (tile), painting and lighting. When I was there for pre-Christmas shopping, I thought it was ready for a facelift. Anyone else heard any additional details?

I see Tallahassee Mall has more vacant spots than ever. I guess Dillard's will be gone from there soon. I saw this weekend that both Broadway's and Garfield's are closed too! What is going on over there?

wow thats news to me that broadways is closed... Im most surprised about garfields, i loved that place before a movie,... it seems like its a perfect fit to grab a bite right before or after a movie.. its too bad none of the businesses could make a go of it...

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet {sodEmoji.|} Tallahassee floridanative :yahoo:

It's exciting to hear about the changes coming to the Governor's Square mall. Those changes you mentioned for it are exactly what the Doctor ordered. I've heard they were going to make these changes for quite some time now. I'm happy to hear someone else finally mention it.

As far as the Tallahassee mall and the increased vacancies... I'm worried. I'm not sure what to think about the state of this mall. I want it to do well, but I have no clue what the strategy of the ownership is. All I know is, the mall has been diving since they announced plans for a new one at Cross Creek.

I had heard that Garfield's closed, but Broadway too?! Seems odd, they were both usually bustling, but I guess the same could be said of Smokey Bones and that didn't save them.

I had heard that Garfield's closed, but Broadway too?! Seems odd, they were both usually bustling, but I guess the same could be said of Smokey Bones and that didn't save them.

Yea, Broadways was pretty good. Its a shame they're closing.

Smokey Bones was a different deal. The chain as a whole was not doing well at all, thats why Darden shut them down. They had some locations that were doing well, but you cant keep them all open for a few good performers and at the same time, it becomes less profitable to only operate a few locations. They added Capital Grille and another chain though (whose name is escaping me right now). Sorry...just to clarify :)

Smokey Bones was a different deal. The chain as a whole was not doing well at all, thats why Darden shut them down. They had some locations that were doing well, but you cant keep them all open for a few good performers and at the same time, it becomes less profitable to only operate a few locations. They added Capital Grille and another chain though (whose name is escaping me right now). Sorry...just to clarify :)

That's just the thing though, they didn't close all of their locations. There are still a bunch of them scattered throughout the eastern half of the country. I would just be interested in the logic behind which stores they closed, because there is no way our location could have been underperforming. And I'm all about adding new things, but they didn't, or haven't added any new restaurants in Tally. They took away one of the more popular barbeque places in town and left us with yet another vacant restaurant.

That's just the thing though, they didn't close all of their locations. There are still a bunch of them scattered throughout the eastern half of the country. I would just be interested in the logic behind which stores they closed, because there is no way our location could have been underperforming. And I'm all about adding new things, but they didn't, or haven't added any new restaurants in Tally. They took away one of the more popular barbeque places in town and left us with yet another vacant restaurant.

I think that Sticky Fingers would be an ideal candidate for the former Don Pablos/Smokey Bones location on CCNE.

I think that Sticky Fingers would be an ideal candidate for the former Don Pablos/Smokey Bones location on CCNE.

Agreed, if it needs to be barbeque, you would get no argument from me on that front. Could always install a fancy steakhouse, although the exterior of the building doesn't really fit...and you've got Ted's and Outback right around the corner.

I didn't care much for Broadway, but it is still sad to see the mall dying.

But let's face it people, malls fail all the time; Tallahassee is no exception. I think the best thing that can be done for Tallahassee Mall is to raze it or convert it into an open-air, big box store "power center". As much as you might disagree, it's just following a nationwide trend of malls thriving, failing, then being converted into power centers. I say, it's better than a big empty mall.

Yea, Ive heard there are still a handful of locations still open, but after Darden sold them, I cant really tell you why the company who bought Smokey Bones kept those open (have no contacts with that company). Maybe they're planning on re-opening some?

I wonder if many more businesses will be closing in the future at Tallahassee Mall. And will the mall actually remodel if they don't get the perks they asked for from the city?

I didn't care much for Broadway, but it is still sad to see the mall dying.

But let's face it people, malls fail all the time; Tallahassee is no exception. I think the best thing that can be done for Tallahassee Mall is to raze it or convert it into an open-air, big box store "power center". As much as you might disagree, it's just following a nationwide trend of malls thriving, failing, then being converted into power centers. I say, it's better than a big empty mall.

I agree with your statement, yet somewhere inside I feel like the Tallahassee Mall could again thrive as a normal mall given the right mix of retailers inside and around it. Apalachee Parkway is retail heavy, where other shopping areas are not. If you want anything electronic in Tallahassee, its almost impossible to buy it without going to Apalachee Parkway. The only places to buy electronics near the Tallahassee mall are CompUSA, which is now a threatened species, and Radio Shack. Who shops Radio Shack... Oh... I almost forgot Staples, which is a decent alternative, but not quite a one-stop shop for an electronic consumer.

Where did the Tallahassee Mall go wrong??? Um, maybe it was when Service Merchandise left. Perhaps it was when Montgomery Ward closed and was replaced by Burlington CF, a retailer that until very recently was doing business out of a run-down facility. Maybe it was allowing the Navy, Army, Marines, and all of those other non-retail tenants to lease the prime area of the mall. Why didn't they turn QZar into a Bowling Alley or a "Pockets"-style pool hall? Why didn't they find a restaurant to replace Morrison's/Piccadilly's?

These are some of the questions the new owners should be asking themselves.

Peterbrook Chocolatier

storebig.jpg

It was also mentioned that Peterbrooke would be coming to one of the Malls but the article does not specify which one. Do anyone who shops know the answer to this question. I'm trying to picture both malls in my mind and each seems to have some sort of Chocolate store, unless I'm mistaken. Peterbrook's website shows a Tallahassee location somewhere on Thomasville Road, so I'm all confused about this one.

Peterbrook Chocolatier

storebig.jpg

It was also mentioned that Peterbrooke would be coming to one of the Malls but the article does not specify which one. Do anyone who shops know the answer to this question. I'm trying to picture both malls in my mind and each seems to have some sort of Chocolate store, unless I'm mistaken. Peterbrook's website shows a Tallahassee location somewhere on Thomasville Road, so I'm all confused about this one.

Its in the Publix/Bonefish center in Killearn.

Peterbrook Chocolatier

storebig.jpg

They do. TM has a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory or whatever that place is and GS has Godiva. Both of them also have a candy store in addition, so there may already be some market saturation in the candy/chocolate department.

Its in the Publix/Bonefish center in Killearn.

In addition to that store, I think I read where they will opening a 2nd location in Gov. Sq., but don't quote me on that one

FL, go for the dark chocolates especially those from Europe. Milk chocolate should be given up once folks reach adulthood IMHO.

In addition to that store, I think I read where they will opening a 2nd location in Gov. Sq., but don't quote me on that one

FL, go for the dark chocolates especially those from Europe. Milk chocolate should be given up once folks reach adulthood IMHO.

What do you have against Milk Chocolate?

Archived