Two New Fulton Cities Other Than Sandy Springs?

ironchapman

I read in the AJC that the unincorporated area in north Fulton Couty is thinking about trying to incorporate themselves into two new towns, Milton and Johns Creek. The cities would have about 100,000 together. The issue of their incorporation would be brought up next year if the area still wishes to incorporate.

Tha would leave the unincorporated part of South Fulton in a hole. South Fulton needs the money. If Milton and Johns Creek incorporate, most of South Fulton's money would be gone.

Sometimes I think Atlanta should have annexed the county when it had the chance years ago.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest beef with all of the proposals to deal with the rich north fulton, poor fulton problem is that it brings even more governments into a metro area that already has too many. However, south Fulton has used north fulton unfairly as a cruch for a long time. I think it needs to be dealt with, but strong leadership, not more government agencies is really what they need.

Like I said earlier, I think Atlanta should have done what Jacksonville did to Duval County in Florida, annex the county and all (or most) of the cities and areas within and consolidate the gov't.

I doubt this will ever happen, though, as most of Fulton doesn't seem to like Atlanta, even if the city is the reason for the boom in population.

Jesus, just imagine if from Union City to Forsyth County was all the City of Atlanta.

I mean.

Just imagine.

It would certainly give new meaning to the word "city." But Atlantans would love to brag about how it would propel them into the top 5 cities for population. ;)

I don't think annexing the whole county was ever a viable idea & it certainly wouldn't work successfully - due to the geographic constraints it would cause. Atlanta's best bet will be to acquire more southern Fulton land for annexation - perhaps as far south as Union City.

I suppose so...South Fulton and Atlanta would benefit from the larger tax base if Atlanta annexed South Fulton.

Right now Atlanta needs to work on densifying what it has and fixing the transportation systems.

Archived