Apartment Complex

The Rapids Catawba St

Apartment Complex

Universtiy Commons Alexander St (Cayce)

Apartment Complex

Bridgepoin

Condos

11 Floors

bridgepointeback.jpg(Front has large balonies and a fantastic view of the skyline)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

****The Columbia units are prooving more difficult to find pictures of and links to sites since we don't have them listed centrally like has been done in Greenville. So, waccamatt, I am taking the liberty of using some of your photos from your photo tour. I am putting them on my host so its not using your bandwatidth. I hope thats ok:) If not, just let me know and I will take them down.****

NP Spartan. I have plenty of bandwidth now, I just increased it. If I may add a few:

I am using Columbia's original 1786 city boundaries (The Congaree River, Whaley, Elmwood and Harden, I believe) to define downtown. Here are a few more I don't remember seeing:

Canalside

CDC_ND_Canal_Plan_lg.jpg

The former American Sentinel Life Building (11 stories, built in 1911). An announcement is forthcoming on their conversion to condos. How do you like this picture I found?!

ETEXBILL3156.jpg

10035751.jpg

first%20citz%20construction.jpg

Governor's Hill

more%20gov%20hill.jpg

Justice Square Townhomes

justice%20square%20vista.jpg

The Heritage Condos

heritage%20tower%20condos%20senate%20st.jpg

Marion St Highrise

marion%20st%20highrise.bmp

• 1 month later...

are they going to change the facade on the mills even slightly?  i dont like how they look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt that they can since they are on the historic register.

Here are some more pictures of downtown area housing:

This is another vantage of the 12 story Barringer Building (1903) being converted to apartments. I noticed today that it looked like work had begun on the renovation.

barringer%20bldg.jpg

Condos in 5 Points.

5%20points%20condos%20and%20Garibaldis.jpg

5%20points%20condos.jpg

Christopher Towers and Finlay House, both highrises for senior citizens:

christopher%20towers.jpg

finlay%20house%20apts.jpg

Some apartments on the corner of Senate and Marion Streets:

usc%20area%20apt%20bldg.jpg

New Townhouses:

usc%20area%20construction.jpg

More townhouses:

usc%20area%20townhouses.jpg

Apartments off Gervais Street downtown:

usc%20neighborhood%20apts.jpg

Nice! Thanks for posting that. Interesting stuff. My mom worked at the Barringer Building when I was growing up and I spent a good bit of time in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could it be said that the Barringer Building is where EM "emerged"????

:rofl: B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking a while. Found this fantastic site by googling "loft, columbia".

I've spent only 2-3 days in Columbia, so all your pics have been very helpful for me to get to know the place and decide whether or not to move there from NY. The general optimism I'm picking up from everyone (here and people I've met) is very encouraging. I'm actually very excited about moving there!

I've been doing a lot searching for real estate online, but what I'd really like is hard to find info about, that's why I'm posting here - maybe you can tell me if finding a large raw loft space downtown is utopia?

Have all the interesting buildings been snapped up by big developers, or are there any smaller industrial buildings in a good location with artist lofts around? I'm dreaming of the ultimate lower Manhattan-style over sized artist loft (that I'd never ever be able to afford here).

We belong to the so-called desirable 'creative class' and have a relatively speaking decent budget. I want raw space that I can put my own funky ideas to. Not shy of something needing a lot of work. Do you think it would be impossible to find, should I shelve my dreams and put our money into some remote acreage... and not 'contribute' as much to the local cultural scene as we could have...? ;-)

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking a while. Found this fantastic site by googling "loft, columbia".

I've spent only 2-3 days in Columbia, so all your pics have been very helpful for me to get to know the place and decide whether or not to move there from NY. The general optimism I'm picking up from everyone (here and people I've met) is very encouraging. I'm actually very excited about moving there!

I've been doing a lot searching for real estate online, but what I'd really like is hard to find info about, that's why I'm posting here - maybe you can tell me if finding a large raw loft space downtown is utopia?

Have all the interesting buildings been snapped up by big developers, or are there any smaller industrial buildings in a good location with artist lofts around? I'm dreaming of the ultimate lower Manhattan-style over sized artist loft (that I'd never ever be able to afford here).

We belong to the so-called desirable 'creative class' and have a relatively speaking decent budget. I want raw space that I can put my own funky ideas to. Not shy of something needing a lot of work. Do you think it would be impossible to find, should I shelve my dreams and put our money into some remote acreage... and not 'contribute' as much to the local cultural scene as we could have...? ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to Columbia, Sojay! There are several places you could check on: There are 2 old textile mills currently being renovated in the Olympia section of Columbia and they may be the type of space you are looking for. I would also drive around and look for places that are available that you could put some work into. Also check out Vista Lofts on Gervais Street and some of the renovations on Main Street, Here are some links that may help. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

Olympia Mills

capitol places

Vista Lofts

Thanks, but I'm not looking for a rental or a condo building where everything is carved up into small apartments and everything is already chosen for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear ya, soljay! Feelin' your pain. The problem is... while Columbia's creative class is growing -- it's all spread out all over the city. There isn't really a defined arts district -- now that The Vista is transitioning from arts to entertainment. Watch for Olympia Mill Village to become something. There are some old warehouses there in a transitional area that could suit your needs, but nothing that I know of that's exactly like what I'm picturing from your description. Developers around here aren't really hip to this whole scene yet, but I think it's coming. Your best bet at this point might actually be to browse through commercial properties for sale and see if something there might suit your needs. I know a lot of those opportunities could be cost prohibitive, but you might luck out and come across something. Here's a link to some commercial real estate sites.

I hear ya, soljay! Feelin' your pain. The problem is... while Columbia's creative class is growing -- it's all spread out all over the city. There isn't really a defined arts district -- now that The Vista is transitioning from arts to entertainment.  Watch for Olympia Mill Village to become something. There are some old warehouses there in a transitional area that could suit your needs, but nothing that I know of that's exactly like what I'm picturing from your description. Developers around here aren't really hip to this whole scene yet, but I think it's coming. Your best bet at this point might actually be to browse through commercial properties for sale and see if something there might suit your needs. I know a lot of those opportunities could be cost prohibitive, but you might luck out and come across something. Here's a link to some commercial real estate sites.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might also try the North Main area, across Elmwood from downtown. Lots of old warehouses, light industrial and commercial buildings there and prices should be much, much cheaper than downtown or the Vista.

Although Columbia doesn't have an art district, I would look for Main Street area to move that way in the next 5 to 10 years. With the art museum there, the Nickeldeon & The Workshop moving down there, and The Bethel Church performing art center being completed, I think you will see a real cultural push for that area.

Although Columbia doesn't have an art district, I would look for Main Street area to move that way in the next 5 to 10 years.  With the art museum there, the Nickeldeon & The Workshop moving down there, and The Bethel Church performing art center being completed, I think you will see a real cultural push for that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it could be some sort of high-end arts deal, but there's absolutely no affordable studio space -- it's just not gonna happen there. Not with one-bedroom condos selling for $200,000. That's, I think, where Olympia comes in.

Archived