North Main St.

Lova

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No -- you and I could double-handedly keep it in business... Where is it?

Drive up North Main from Downcity. After passign the Staples/Whole Foods/McDonald's plaza, it's on the right through the lights. The building is white with green maps of the US and RI on the front, in the windows.

i might have to join you guys...

2-time CT state geography bee contestant and lover of maps... :D

Hey me too! Well I was in the bee once but lost on a question about Afghanistan lol. The Map Store is awesome, I forget the owner's name but he's a good guy. He'll laminate anything for you too, I got my Arrow Rhode Island atlas fully laminated so now I can write all over it in wet-erase markers. I'm getting one for SE Mass too, that'll be great for work.

Hey me too! Well I was in the bee once but lost on a question about Afghanistan lol. The Map Store is awesome, I forget the owner's name but he's a good guy. He'll laminate anything for you too, I got my Arrow Rhode Island atlas fully laminated so now I can write all over it in wet-erase markers. I'm getting one for SE Mass too, that'll be great for work.

the first time i made it in, i won our school bee over an indian student who got a question wrong about rice paddies (not to mention beating all the 8th graders as well being a year younger). he did eat a lot of rice, i'm not being racist. second time it was close, the kid i was up against was sort of stuck up about his abilities though and probably had something to do with me winning. i think he cried. had to take a test to get to the state bee which i did both times (7th and 8th grade) and i was eliminated in the first round. :cry:

i might have to join you guys...

2-time CT state geography bee contestant and lover of maps... :D

Ehh.. I woulda been in it had I not been in the same elementary school as the kid who went to Washington DC for the nationals every year. I came in 2nd to this kid twice in 4th and 5th grades. Jealous me...

He'll laminate anything for you too, I got my Arrow Rhode Island atlas fully laminated so now I can write all over it in wet-erase markers.

That's a great idea! Wow, could've really used that when I worked as a same-day express courier!

I've had the same Arrow RI Mapbook since I was delivering pizza in WW back in '99. The front and back covers are long gone but it's still better than the other one I always see for sale in the gas stations (American Maps is it?) where you have the corners of three different towns on one page (WTF?!).

I love maps! There's so much to learn!

Why did Warwick Schools never have these bees anyway?! I kick ass at spelling - I was deprived! :cry:

Its all Linc Chaffee's fault!

That's a great idea! Wow, could've really used that when I worked as a same-day express courier!

I've had the same Arrow RI Mapbook since I was delivering pizza in WW back in '99. The front and back covers are long gone but it's still better than the other one I always see for sale in the gas stations (American Maps is it?) where you have the corners of three different towns on one page (WTF?!).

I love maps! There's so much to learn!

Why did Warwick Schools never have these bees anyway?! I kick ass at spelling - I was deprived! :cry:

Its all Linc Chaffee's fault!

I have five Arrow atlases lol starting in 1988 (this one has a great aerial of downtown on the cover, during Waterplace Park construction). Yeah I think they're American Maps now.

And yeah I didn't get to do a geo bee til my parents moved to North Kingstown.

• 5 months later...

I thought we had a thread for this, but i couldn't find it in the reorg.

first: there's no place for breakfast up there, which really bums me out.

second: it is easily the most dangerous place to walk in Providence--i'm not talking about CROSSING NMS, just walking on the sidewalk is scary enough.

third: that dunkin donuts at 8th should never have been allowed a drive through. it is a menace.

fourth: our mail man seems to only come every other day.

fifth: no one knows where my office is until i say "right behind the penalty box" and then EVERYONE knows.

sixth: i don't think there's a pizza place on NMS anymore. :(

second: it is easily the most dangerous place to walk in Providence--i'm not talking about CROSSING NMS, just walking on the sidewalk is scary enough.

third: that dunkin donuts at 8th should never have been allowed a drive through. it is a menace.

fifth: no one knows where my office is until i say "right behind the penalty box" and then EVERYONE knows.

It's actually the "coolest" drive-thru around and it has been there for quite a while. It is in a tunnel behind the store.

Why I think that's cool is beyond me.

Regardless, the problem of cars going in and out remains and that is a high confusing traffic area thanks to the interface with I-95 being off of one way streets.

There a breakfast place right over the line into Pawt line, called Connie's. There's also a Friendly Guys Pizza place @ 1271 NM., and City Line Pizza right on the Prov-Pawt line. For sandwiches, try the Sandwich Hut or Gregg's full service restaurant. Domino's in on NM right across from the cemetary near Branch Ave. The Penalty Box, which has recently changed hands has been remodeled and may offer food. Another option would be the Shaw's plaza which is a short walk down NM. Behind the Penalty Box sits a house and a decent sized commercial bldg, which years ago use to the RI School of Electronics (RISE). When did the DD on N. Main St become a drive thru?

i'm not sure that friendly guys is there any more. But i'll look again. I have been at the sammich hut and greggs plenty, and dominos is a non starter.

My office is the house behind the penalty box. it has been an office use for a few years. Miriam owns it and it previously had social workers in it. The RISE building is now the TB clinic and the travel shot clinic and some other clinic. they seem friendly and they do have a 1.25 coke machine.

they have started work on the walgreens...getting ready to demo the building, and have put up temporary fencing.

sorry. i've been all hopped up on the drugs lately. I did look at least three times thru the threads! thanks for merging!!

Archived