Rhode Island Commuter Rail Proposals

Cotuit

might as well clean up the area oursleves

tthere is actually some long and convoluted story about (at least) the landscaping maintenance of the train station. Originally one of the apartment buildings did it (Center Place? maybe?) and then when they got sold the city was supposed to either take it over or arrange to have one of the businesses take over the maintenance (or something LIKE that) and the result is that no one takes care of it now. It is outside of the DID area so...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I take the MBTA everyday. I'm going to try and get some pictures of how bad the inside is. I must sound like a broken record but it is embarrassing. The scrape heap of an escalator that prohibits passengers from coming and going at the same time is a scare on the face of Providence. This is an extremely bad first impression.

It's not only a bad impression, I think it could be a severe safety hazard! There is NO quick way to get off the platform. One would think with the amount of BS in the cause of security that this would be one of the first things to be corrected--- if not for some kind of attack, then for something as mundane as smoke or fumes from a poorly functioning train. I wrote to the Federal Railway Administration AND Amtrak last year about the state of the Providence station, especially the lack of two-way passage between the platform and the main floor. To their credit, the FRA staff actually did come to check the station, but concluded that there were other means of exiting the platform.

PLUS they said that it would take a million dollars to repair the escalator because it had been built in Italy back when the station opened. This is ridiculous! And if this is true, which I just can't believe, at least just use the escalator as a stairway so we don't all crunch up trying to get up the stairs while other passengers are trying to come down. The whole station is falling into disrepair, and there never seems to be anyone at the passenger services office!

I've noticed that, when working, the escalators switch direction in response to the rush hour, down in the morning and up in the afternoon. Of course when the T is extended to the south, this won't really work anymore, as there will be more people commuting into Providence and not just primarily commuting north.

I've asked around a bit about who is responsible for the plaza outside the station, and so far I don't have a definitive answer. I should contact the city directly next.

In the interim, I would suggest people put pressure on the Parks Dept. and Amtrak. Even if they aren't responsible, there is at least a perception that they might be which could force them to act against who is. I've also asked if the Capital Center Commission can exert any pressure and was told that they will look into what power, if any, they have to get this area cleaned up.

I've asked around a bit about who is responsible for the plaza outside the station, and so far I don't have a definitive answer. I should contact the city directly next.

...In the interim, I would suggest people put pressure on the Parks Dept. and Amtrak...

I emailed Amtrak and even included a link to your photos, and they e-mailed me back to say they had forwarded my manifesto to the station manager.

I seriously think we should all e-mail amtrak through their website and if that doesn't result in any changes, then e-mail the ProJo or one of the TV stations and suggest they look into it.

- Garris

spoke to someone at the DOT toady and was told AMTRAK is responsible. The CCC is a good idea as well - the media should be the last resort IMHO - that avenue is always there, but we should work together here first.

It really needs some attention, any attention at this point. Basic sidewalk repair and landscaping is a reasonable but very needed expense. I still like my idea of putting in a few short rows of oversized planters to add some foliage and color to the area.

I'm going to email Amtrak this week as well.

Some advise on this (for those who might not know) - don't bring up the MBTA expanded service since that competes with AMTRAK (but know that AMTRAK gets paid by the MBTA and ultimately RI taxpayers to use the tracks)

Some advise on this (for those who might not know) - don't bring up the MBTA expanded service since that competes with AMTRAK (but know that AMTRAK gets paid by the MBTA and ultimately RI taxpayers to use the tracks)

Thanks for bringing that up... I was just about to point out the same thing...

If I didn't already post it, here is the link to the Amtrak contact page.

- Garris

I just wrote a note to Amtrak with a link to the pictures on this message thread. I have been taking the train to Boston from S.Attleboro for 3 years now and have always been shocked by how rundown the PVD station is.

In regards to the MBTA going to PVD on weekends.....this is the best news I have heard in a long time. The Waterfire and mall better be prepared for more traffic as I know a lot of people who will be using the train on a Saturday night to go to these places.

Rail~Volution is, first and foremost, a conference for passionate practitioners - people from all perspectives who believe strongly in the role of land use and transit as equal partners in the quest for greater livability and greater communities.

Rail~Volution brings together a unique cross-section of concerned citizens, business leaders, academics, elected and federal officials, planners, and transit operators.

http://www.railvolution.com/

yes but they are still close enough to 'bridge' in a easy to do, cost effective manner on a timely basis

I'd love to see some underground tunnels or walkways that would link the train station to inside of the mall and also to the intermodal hub in kenndy plaza...

well, id actually like to see light rail or subways running throughout the providence metro, but for now ill take tunnels with people-movers!! haha

what are some hubs people would like to see if metro providence were to add its own light rail grid???

Here's what I would like to see. Feel free to blast my idea as it would eliminate one the largest projects currently proposed for Capital Center.

I'd like to see the train station expand onto the site proposed for Capital Cove. The waiting areas and platform would be extended. Still extend the riverwalk up to Smith St. with maybe some footbridges leading over to Canal St. Move the Greyhound & Bonanza stops from Kennedy Plaza. On the river, have a water taxi that would connect to other points down the river (I'm thinking the Newport ferry).

The train station addition would include passenger-oriented retail uses (bookstore, newsstand, small drugstore etc.), and the retial in the current station would be moved to allow for expansion of the waiting area. I'm also picturing a market & food hall (think Grand Central Station), as well as restaurants with outdoor seating along the new riverwalk. Perhaps, some office and residential space would be included. On the other side, extend the platform to the mall.

Imagine. People take a train into the city, jump on a water taxi, transfer to the ferry and head to Newport. Other people get off trains, walk through the mall, check into the Westin, and attend conventions or sporting events.

I'll see you all when I wake up from dreamland.

I'd like to see the rail line that runs next to the zoo be used as light rail. It would start down at Warwick Ave (rt. 117) at Laura Street (across from Shaw's?) and use the existing rail ROW with stops as follows:

1) just North of Elmwood and 1st Street

2) (proposed) Cranston Station along the NEC line

3) the zoo

4) south Port of PVD/Thurbers Ave.

at this point the line would elevate over Thurbers and parallel 95N.

5) north Port of PVD/Allens Ave. (near Blackstone St.)

at this point the line would elevete/lower to weave into new 195 ramps

6) just south of Point Street (still along 95N)

7) parallel to Service road 8 (just south of Washington St.)

from here it really needs to get to Kennedy Plaza - so I suppose it'd be an elvated system that stops at:

8) Dunk/Convention Center

-OR-

right over Washington Street into KP

I'd like to say run it under Washington and into KP, but I wonder if the water table and costs would never allow it.

This proposal is meant to be something that is feasible, usijg exsiting rail ROWs and is attainable from a cost stand-poit as well.

Anyone really good at google maps, paint shop, etc. could probably depict my proposal fairly easily - I'm clueless with that stuff...

I'd like to see the rail line that runs next to the zoo be used as light rail. It would start down at Warwick Ave (rt. 117) at Laura Street (across from Shaw's?) and use the existing rail ROW with stops as follows:

3) the zoo

from here it really needs to get to Kennedy Plaza - so I suppose it'd be an elvated system that stops at:

-OR-

I'd like to say run it under Washington and into KP, but I wonder if the water table and costs would never allow it.

This proposal is meant to be something that is feasible, usijg exsiting rail ROWs and is attainable from a cost stand-poit as well.

Anyone really good at google maps, paint shop, etc. could probably depict my proposal fairly easily - I'm clueless with that stuff...

Great idea. I have never thought of using the Harbor Rail tracks for light rail. The P & W does run a couple of RWP trains that originate in Worcester or Cumberland. But this line could run as the Allens Avenue LR line as proposed in the Providence 2020 discussion. Then it could enter the Harbor Railroad ROW as you propose and then parallel the NEC until it reaches the former Warwick Railway tracks.

These tracks never did reach Warwick Avenue, but they did tie in with the former UER Buttonwoods Line that originated in down city, came up on Broad Street and then followed its own ROW that started right after Montgomery Street on the P/C line. You can easily pick out much of the ROW that is still there. Some of it has been incorporated into some backyards(illegally), but much of it is still vacant. The line was doubled tracked its entire length. The line crossed Warwick avenue at the Post Road/Warwick Avenue intersection. I think there is now a fire station where it went thru.

Mark

3) the zoo

-OR-

I like this idea. It may not be necessary to connect it to Kennedy Plaza, if the talks about reconfiguring the transit hub come true.

Great idea. I have never thought of using the Harbor Rail tracks for light rail. The P & W does run a couple of RWP trains that originate in Worcester or Cumberland. But this line could run as the Allens Avenue LR line as proposed in the Providence 2020 discussion. Then it could enter the Harbor Railroad ROW as you propose and then parallel the NEC until it reaches the former Warwick Railway tracks.

These tracks never did reach Warwick Avenue, but they did tie in with the former UER Buttonwoods Line that originated in down city, came up on Broad Street and then followed its own ROW that started right after Montgomery Street on the P/C line. You can easily pick out much of the ROW that is still there. Some of it has been incorporated into some backyards(illegally), but much of it is still vacant. The line was doubled tracked its entire length. The line crossed Warwick avenue at the Post Road/Warwick Avenue intersection. I think there is now a fire station where it went thru.

Mark

you sound familiar with the ROW. I followed it fairly easily until it crossed the river (just west of Warwick Ave) where it entered what looked like an old industrial site that is now just a parking lot - then I lost it. Laura Ave was the closest street - thats why I picked that site. I wonder where that line used to go after that???

after some more thought - the line could terminate at what is 'stop #7' on my idea and RIPTA could run a dedicated express bus from there to KP and then to the Providence Station - that would be easy to do and much less expensive...

• 2 weeks later...

Heard on the radio this morning that the new MBTA layover station in Pawtucket is opening today.

From the projo blog:

Pawtucket rail layover station holds grand opening today

PAWTUCKET -- Today's the grand opening for a new commuter rail layover station in Pawtucket.

Deputy Federal Transit Administrator Sandy Bushue will join a host of political leaders this morning to dedicate the new rail yard.

Relocating the layover station from Attleboro to Pawtucket is part of a deal between Rhode Island officials and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. The agreement will allow expanded commuter rail service to Providence.

Archived