Where There's Smoke There's Fire

Mith242

There's been at least small small fire in the Ozark National Forest. Although luckily we've been pretty lucky compared to Oklahoma and Texas. Although smoke from the Oklahoma fires is making it's way into NWA. I've heard the fires are popping up in New Mexico too now. I'm been wondering if Arkansas will be next as dry as it is.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this doesn't have anything to do with northwest Arkansas, but nearly all of Ark-La-Tex is in a burn ban, and driving up highway 549, many of the smaller trees and fields along the highway looked to have been burned recently. It is very dry in the Ark-La-Tex as well. Hopefully all of Arkansas will mostly stay out of this.

Well this doesn't have anything to do with northwest Arkansas, but nearly all of Ark-La-Tex is in a burn ban, and driving up highway 549, many of the smaller trees and fields along the highway looked to have been burned recently. It is very dry in the Ark-La-Tex as well. Hopefully all of Arkansas will mostly stay out of this.

I think we are in a 14 inch rain deficet for the past year. We're going to have to have some big rains this spring and summer to make up for it. Beaver Lake is at it's lowest it's been in the past century.

Yeah quite a bit of the state is in a burn ban. Although I saw a map recently and I was a bit surprised to see a number of counties not in one. The whole state is pretty far behind on rain. The worst area is southwest Arkansas, there are some areas 25" below they're average. I think northeast Arkansas is the area that's been hit the least by the drought. But that's not to day they aren't quite a bit down also. I think the wind has shifted again and it's not too bad but earlier today you could really smell the smoke from fires in Oklahoma.

Hey Matt can you move this topic over to the general Arkansas forum? I think it would fit better there. Anyway I noticed there are some more fires making some news after the fire near Hot Springs earlier this week. Apparently there's a fire near the Sugarloaf Mtns in the Ft Smith area. There also appears to be some fires around the Mena area as well. I know there have been some fires in the Ozark National Forest including near the Buffalo River but I never have heard much on those.

Well I still don't think we have any major fires here in Arkansas compared to some of the ones in Oklahoma and Texas but it looks like we've had quite a few wildfires pop up over the weekend. There was a lot of time spent on KNWA this morning talking about them. They even mentioned one in southern Arkansas. They usually don't mention a lot down there so I don't know if it's particularly bad. We've had a cold front go through so I'm not sure if the cooler temps will help any. The bad thing is that the winds will still be around but from the northwest instead.

Well I still don't think we have any major fires here in Arkansas compared to some of the ones in Oklahoma and Texas but it looks like we've had quite a few wildfires pop up over the weekend. There was a lot of time spent on KNWA this morning talking about them. They even mentioned one in southern Arkansas. They usually don't mention a lot down there so I don't know if it's particularly bad. We've had a cold front go through so I'm not sure if the cooler temps will help any. The bad thing is that the winds will still be around but from the northwest instead.

Yeah, there is a big one in Ashley County. 3,000 acres are burning and there's one just across the state line in Louisiana, although there isn't a threat of them combining. The disgusting thing is that the fire looks like arson. I really hope they catch the culprit/culprits. One of the fires in northern Arkansas a few days ago was also caused by arson. It's disturbing that people like that are out there.

Yeah, there is a big one in Ashley County. 3,000 acres are burning and there's one just across the state line in Louisiana, although there isn't a threat of them combining. The disgusting thing is that the fire looks like arson. I really hope they catch the culprit/culprits. One of the fires in northern Arkansas a few days ago was also caused by arson. It's disturbing that people like that are out there.

Yeah after I posted that I saw them mention that on the news. I'm not sure if people are starting them purposely or just out of stupidity. They're constantly finding people breaking the burn ban up here in NWA. Oh and Matt I knew there were some here in Washington County but didn't realize there were that many. Sounds like the fires have also spread to southern Colorado too.

This question is for anyone living in wildfire affected parts of Arkansas. I was just curious, what are the penalty's for breaking the burn ban in you area or county?

Here in Saint Tammany Parish in SE Louisiana, breaking the burn ban results in up to 30 days in jail, and a $500 fine.

I can't speak for all of Arkansas but here in NWA I think they were trying to be rather lenient with people. Although I think before we got this rain here recently they were finally getting a bit tired of people not listening. I'm not sure what the fines were though.

How are things looking in the rest of the state? We didn't get any of the rain that the rest of the state seemed to have gotten recently. That and we have some strong winds for the next couple of days so a red flag alert is up here in NWA.

Looks like NWA still missed out on most of the rain the state got. From what I saw looked like most Benton County cities only got a trace of rainfall. Fayetteville officially got .10" although I think I got around .25-.50" where I live. But certainly doesn't equal the several inches many places in Arkansas seemed to get.

Archived