Abandoned airport in Roanoke

mediamongrel

At some point I remember there being a huge abandoned airport somewhat near the new one near Roanoke, VA. I think it was off of Rt. 29. Someone with more information please let me know. I was kind of weird the one time I remember driving into the parking lot of this abandoned airport (around 1999 or so) and seeing the terminal, control tower, everything all boarded up. Where is it, and is it still there?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old airport terminal (called Woodrum Field) is between I-581 and Williamson Road (US 11). You have to get on Hershberger Road and then onto Aviation Parkway to get to it.

As far as I know it's still standing. The last time it was used as a public terminal was in 1989, but the tower was used until very recently for the new Roanoke Regional Airport. Now that the newer airport termainal has a new federally-funded control tower, it's only a matter of time before the old building falls.

• 10 months later...

it might be the old terminal for Roanoke's airport.

I asked somebody important at the Roanoke airport if its a possibilty of Roanoke becoming a international airport anytime soon, her response was International, no because of runway length BUT national, YES, just one thing that it needs, money, and lots of it...she said it would take a lot of money to make the tranistion to regional to national. (I.e. changing the name on signs, buiness cards, and such)

One of the biggest screw ups in local government was back in the 70's. Roanoke and Lynchburg were talking about building a new large airport together in Bedford County. Peidmont Airlines was going to use it as a hub but talks between all the various governments fell apart and Peidmont, now US Air, opened their hub at the Charlotte airport instead.

I believe I flew into this airport in 1987 on a Piedmont jet. It was one of those airports where they would wheel a set up stairs up to the jet as there were no skyways there. It's one of the few places that I remember having to do this.

On the earlier comment about the Piedmont hub. I don't think it would have made any difference. Piedmont got a pretty good deal out of Charlotte and NC (considering that it was based in Winston-Salem)

roanoke now has skywalks but sometimes uses the wheelup steps because they dont have enough places to park a plane because there is only 7 gates..its pretty cool because you can actually walk into the airport, go up the escaltor and find a spot and you got a good view for the day!

they also constructed a new 7 story control tower, which will be a model for most control towers across the us from now on

• 1 year later...

I resurrected this topic because its about airport issues. It seems a good possibility that Roanoke Regional Airport will soon become Roanoke International Airport. I'm not kidding. Because the airport is offers customs screening, the airport can be called International. Most likely the only potential international flights in the near future would be charter flights to Mexico and the Carribean. Still a very interesting development. Full article

Archived