Carolina Circle Mall

StevenRocks

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About a month or two ago, I dreamed there was a Montgomery Ward at some mall in Winston-Salem (Not Hanes Mall). That MW had the exact same architecture as Carolina Circle. I went into the closed Montgomery Ward. Very weird dream. Last night I dreamed about ccm. I dreamed that I found a lot of pictures of the inside of the mall while it was opened. In my dream, the carousel seemed more like one of those fast swinging rides at the fair's midway.

I have fond memories of going to CCM.  I grew up >5 minutes from there.  To see the mall being torn down as I've rode around it, really has gripped my heart and brought tears to my eyes, seriously.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live about 5-10 minutes from ccm. I used to go there regularly.

Now you can go to the Wal Mart regularly. By the way, no one on this thread has said if they are actually going to remove the part of the mall that is below the ground level. If so, how would they do it? Isn't there like a stone fountain built into the ground level near Ward's? I guess maybe dynamite could be required at this stage of the demolition.

I just thought of something. If everything goes as planned, the Wal-Mart will open in 2006 which will be 30 years since CCM opened. That will mean the ccm and Walmart will have a "6" birthday. Just wait, in 2018, a renovation will happen and there will be a carousel there and it will be torn down in 2035. Weird. It will have a similar age to ccm.

I'm surprised no one has taken it off, considering Pyramids village is a totally different company and now that it's sold, they dont even own anything around there. The "Pyramids Village" idea was a short lived one. I remember in 2002 when they had plans to put a pool inside the Carolina Circle Mall and surround it with retail stores.

I rode past ccm today. If you are hating to see it go because it's very dear to you, now's the time to cry. Quite a lot is gone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw it saturday, took some pictures....Was for sure sad. I keep going back and forth between do I want to see it in rubble to wanting to pay my respects and think on all the time I spent there..

With me, it's sort of a win-lose situation. I win a brand new Wal-Mart near my house to shop at, but lose the mall I've spent a lot of my life at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way it was going, you didn't really have a mall though. You had the shell of one, and a rapidly decaying one at that.

What I meant was that all of my memories were in that building. My first computer was a Windows 95 Packard Bell. It was given away about 5 years ago so I had to get on ebay to get another one similar. Unfortunately I can't get on ebay to buy a new Carolina Circle Mall. It's just that was my favorite mall. Not too big and not too small. The last time I ever went into the center of the mall was in 2001. Only Montgomery Ward and some other store was opened. It freaked me out to see the entire food court gone. Especially my favorite restuarant Subs & Spuds. That mall was a part of me and the closed building was all I had left of a great mall. And I sure do hope that when the Wal-Mart is built that there will be remaining signs that a mall once stood there.

What I meant was that all of my memories were in that building. My first computer was a Windows 95 Packard Bell. It was given away about 5 years ago so I had to get on ebay to get another one similar. Unfortunately I can't get on ebay to buy a new Carolina Circle Mall. It's just that was my favorite mall. Not too big and not too small. The last time I ever went into the center of the mall was in 2001. Only Montgomery Ward and some other store was opened. It freaked me out to see the entire food court gone. Especially my favorite restuarant Subs & Spuds. That mall was a part of me and the closed building was all I had left of a great mall. And I sure do hope that when the Wal-Mart is built that there will be remaining signs that a mall once stood there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What month and year was it when there was a time that you could get into the main mall area only by two entrances (Montogmery Ward and Dillard's Clearance Center?

Archived