Blount Street Commons

capitalapts

Doesn't the state rent space in a lot offices scattered around the city, like the Parker Lincoln building on Capital north of 440? Or is this done to hide campaign contribution paybacks?

I would think there would be a lot of financial sense in *owning* offices instead of paying rent. State government isn't getting any smaller... the state of North Carolina is poised to be one of the faster growing states in the country, and the government will have to grow to accomodate this growth.

Some of the 1995 plan is "pie in the sky" but it looks like they didn't act on *any* of it. I know there used to be a state government employee circulator/trolley, but I think even that has been dropped in recent years.

With the sale of the Blount Street land, this is an opportune time for the state to reevaluate its government center plans. Should they sell more, like the land across from the Peace Street Shell? Should they buy more land, like the Days Inn south of the Capitol merge to be near the TTA station? and other questions.

Most of the State agencys that are in rented space have income to pay their own rent...either they receive federal grants or have lots of receipts via enforcements or permits. The owning space logic is less of a priority because of this.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While driving into work today, I noticed the DMV buliding at Peace and Blount had its signs remvoed and there is a small note on the front door. The same goes for the hosues that front Peace between Blount and Person, but I think one still has a sign -- traffic signals or something?

I don't know when things will start moving, but it is good to see that the Person/Peace corner is part of Phase I!

I thought that they were supposed to tear down that gov't parking log on Peace/Person and put up condos in about 3-4 years...is that no longer the case?

Sure is--see this topic for background, but this is a ***possible** rendering of the plans for Peace/Person (see Krispy Kreme sign on far right):

PersonStreet-lg.jpg

and Wilmington St area (Peace College in the far background):

WilmingtonStreet-lg.jpg

How does MSA get such cool renderings all the time anyway?....anyway, those sure let one see how nice, and how crucial the Blount Street project will be to the city's atmosphere as a whole.......

I think I stated in an earler thread...east of downtown Greensboro are great examples ofthe type of houses we will be seeing in Blount Street....they remind me of Pilot Mill houses but much more historically authentic...Pilot Mill homes look too candy coated...

I have a friend that lives over in Oakwood and to me they will be sitting on a goldmine if they keep their home for at least another 5-7 years when the Blount Street project is built out and the area begins to mature. Jones, I agree that this project is often overlooked among the eyecatching skyline-stretching projects in the southend area of F St, but it will be a HUGE boost to the north end of DT near Peace College. Man would I love to buy one of those old homes on Blount... like this one, my fav in Raleigh.

cpe.jpg

These links from the Triad forum show what I think Blount St would/should look like...these all compliments of Citiboi. Actually laying my eyes on some of what they have done really makes look forward to our own Blount Street.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19594

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19595

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13683

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13682

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13684

like this one, my fav in Raleigh.

cpe.jpg

I got to run an errand to that house when I did some work with the state gov and it is just SO depressing how the State treated the inside of that jewel. I recall that all the ceilings have drop ceilings with stained tiles, fluorescent 2x4 light panels, and a bunch of exposed phone wires all over the place. It's all white inside with old gray carpet. I think that even the woodwork was just flat white with layers and layers of paint. I think the front door didn't really match or fit or something. It's interesting because that color brick and that brown trim on paper seems like a dreadful combo but it works in vivo.

Hmm, I think that maybe some 6-7 story would fit in fine right here, i mean it doesn't seem to overwhelm the area. I LOVE how this is going to look, but i think that they could boost the height just a smidgeon for a REALLY dramatic effect. This project should be thoroughly amazing and I am VERY excited. My expectations are EXTREMELY high for this development, and I hope that the developer does an excellent job.

These links from the Triad forum show what I think Blount St would/should look like...these all compliments of Citiboi. Actually laying my eyes on some of what they have done really makes look forward to our own Blount Street.

I think those buildings look extremely bland and I hope Blount St. turns our a lot better than that. It has a great base to work from with all the Victorians but the new developments shouldn't be faux retro.

I have a friend that lives over in Oakwood and to me they will be sitting on a goldmine if they keep their home for at least another 5-7 years when the Blount Street project is built out and the area begins to mature. Jones, I agree that this project is often overlooked among the eyecatching skyline-stretching projects in the southend area of F St, but it will be a HUGE boost to the north end of DT near Peace College. Man would I love to buy one of those old homes on Blount... like this one, my fav in Raleigh.

cpe.jpg

Took me forever to remember, refused to look it up...Lucy Capeheart House, 1899....I believe it was moved from Wilmington St. (As was the Tucker House on Person, with the big white columns)

• 2 months later...

On a side note there was a party at the Murphey School about a week ago. I guess it was the groundbreaking ceremony for the Burning Coal Theater project. They have been working inside ever since. Does anyone know if they are going to renovate the entire building, or just the auditorium?

Just the auditorium. At least for now.

Interesting find Dan!

So, they are building a 2-3 story structure at Peace & Wilmington near the Archdale Bldg... looking for innovative design--duh, it's a bunch of architects...

Also, they will sell the Water Tower (Raleigh historic property--natl register???) to Greg Hatem, apparently for his personal residence! Damn that's cool!

Site of new AIA:

2040633850098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

Wilm St approach to site:

2610079040098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

Old Water Tower:

2729877800098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

That's really cool. By the way, (small tangent) what's the history of that tower, briefly?

built in 1887 as part of Raleigh first water works system. The impoundment was on Walnut creek at what was once Fayetteville Road going south...now its where Fayetteville and Wilmington come together just past the homeless shelter. The link has a picture of the original pumping station. Also here is a photo of it with its original wooden storage tank on top.

Also the attached panarama from the Capital to southern Fayetteville was taken from the top of the water tower.

post-4367-1173050485_thumb.jpg

post-4367-1173050615_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

But I think that will be temporarily only, until LNR sells off the homes in the Blount District. The state is selling off all of that land to LNR, including the homes. Their project is in phases over 3-4 years, so the historic home renovations and moving work may come later.

From the AIA's drawn map, it looks like they are building right up to, while still preserving, the North Wilmington corridor.

The Peace college vista may be partially obscured. But no more than the trees on campus already obsure Peace's buildings.

(start edit/additon)

- The Y intersection currently has three phases:

- east/west Peace (with a potential left from WB Peace but nothing for left turning EB)

- NB Wilmington

- SB Halifax

With seperate but synch'd signals, how would a "restraightned" Wilmington/Salisbury pair be any different?

- East/west peace stays the same, and can continue to have two right turn lanes to Salisbury for the morning rush and two left turn lanes to WB Peace as it is now.

- NB Wilmington's cycle stays the same. Wilmington traffic passes through the Salisbury intersection west, or turns right toward Blount

- SB Halifax could be realigned through the current location of the tennis courts to meet Seaboard east of Seaboard Station. Peace could intergrate that stretch of Halifax, the empty lot at the Halifax corner, and its Sunflowers property into the rest of campus. This could shift/add on-street parking.

Archived