Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice article on DCI on Westminster. Good backround on the company and its business model. Which is good, as I really did not have hope for this little sliver of a store. I have been in there and it just did not seem sustainable without doing the things they are doing. Glad they have a storefront on Wesminster of course... The owner had some nice things to say about Providences workers too.

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...x.17c57fa3.html

• 2 weeks later...

Spoodles Deli is slated to open Monday. ( tomarrow )

Someone please remind them to have signs and some graphic design this time to help avoid the fate of the prior occupants of that space...

Oh, and let us know its hours and how it is!

- Garris

Far as I can tell the new Starbucks downtown is open. The new shop while tiny looks sharp from both inside and out.

Curse Starbucks and their Heroin like Peppermint Mochas. I've been walking around the block to avoid the temptation. Neither my wasteline nor my wallet can afford it.

Spoodles Deli is slated to open Monday.

Just when it appears that winter is finally going to start. I now have no desire to walk Downcity for lunch. Hopefully they'll still be open in the spring, you never know with that location.

Someone please remind them to have signs and some graphic design this time to help avoid the fate of the prior occupants of that space...

Oh, and let us know its hours and how it is!

- Garris

I have been to the Spoodles in Worcester. It has a wide range of sandwiches, souples, salads. Decent overall but I find it a tad overpriced for the quality.

And just a note on Bravo: went Saturday and was very impressed. Both my steak and my wife's were very well prepared, came to the table very hot, and the service was efficient (if rather abrupt - we had a sterotypically brusque French waiter, I kept looking for the hidden camera he was so cliche). Will certainly go again.

The new sandwich shop next to Cilantro (127 Weybosset Street) will be a Jimmy John's.

http://www.jimmyjohns.com/

Doesn't look bad... It seems to want to occupy the same "gourmet sandwich" place in the food universe as Quiznos...

Boy do we have a lot of sandwich places downtown all of a sudden... Quiznos, Subway, Cilantro, Box Lunch, most of the Arcade, and now Jimmy Johns... Is there a Blimpee downtown?

My sentimental (and taste) favorite for now remains Box Lunch, which I've really liked a lot and are happy they're there.

- Garris

Is there a Blimpee downtown?
:sick:

Box Lunch is my favourite too, that's 'cos I remember it from the Cape though. I should have tried Spoodles today, I actually walked Downcity for lunch and didn't even think about going there.

Boy do we have a lot of sandwich places downtown all of a sudden... Quiznos, Subway, Cilantro, Box Lunch, most of the Arcade, and now Jimmy Johns...
I should have tried Spoodles today

i'm really surprised downtown can support so many sandwich places, dont forget several locations of cafe la france, au bon pain, corporate cafe. then on the outskirts of downtown: geoff's on benefit, cable car, henry anne's. i love sandwiches but personally i'd like to see a little more variety in downtown food places.

:sick:

Box Lunch is my favourite too, that's 'cos I remember it from the Cape though. I should have tried Spoodles today, I actually walked Downcity for lunch and didn't even think about going there.

My son worked there p/t for a short time after being at 729 Hope. He helped Box Lunch get started. They are getting busier, but were hurt when a couple of large employers left the city. The point is; go to the locals first before going to the chains. For me, Haven Brothers and Eddy's will always be the best. Haven Brothers, though, has become very pricey, but I love their chicken soup.

Mark

Is there a Blimpee downtown?

There used to be. It was where Dress Barn now is, and then moved to where Quizno's now is.

The subway on waybos. looks like it has closed unless they are doing a full overhaul.

I noticed that too. One would think that they'd make a killing there, with JWU.

Does anyone know the story with the New Yorker on Washington St? Did they close or are they just renovating?

Does anyone know the story with the New Yorker on Washington St? Did they close or are they just renovating?

I believe Ari said they needed to close for work related to the rest of the building and were either going to renovate and re-open, or move to another location.

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...d.36f91733.html

just an update about the 3 nordstroms that are opening in a few years. Luckily it shouldn't affect retail in this city at all. If at all, it'll be temporary. I still want a bloomindales......

I became worried immediatly when I heard that Nordstrom was opening several new stores in the Boston area. The Providence store draws shoppers from throughout New England so the 128 belt may be a shorter drive for them. But apparently Nordstrom isn't concerned about having so many stores within a short distance of each other. They may have a point. Look at how many Macy's we will have in the area. Mayor Menino of Boston wanted one in his city when he heard about the Providence store.

Archived