Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to a Bo Furniture store in Georgetown and I thought it was pretty good. Good, not amazing quality, and heavily capitalizing on a suggested (although non-existant) relationship with Bang & Olufsen. Prices are a little cheaper than DWR and the look overlaps a little too but there is less big namebrand stuff. Overall it could be a good fit for PVD but I think that if an IKEA ever opens up nearby (in RI) Bo Furniture might fail because one could get a similar look for a fraction of the price.

I've been to a Bo Furniture store in Georgetown and I thought it was pretty good. Good, not amazing quality, and heavily capitalizing on a suggested (although non-existant) relationship with Bang & Olufsen. Prices are a little cheaper than DWR and the look overlaps a little too but there is less big namebrand stuff. Overall it could be a good fit for PVD but I think that if an IKEA ever opens up nearby (in RI) Bo Furniture might fail because one could get a similar look for a fraction of the price.

An IKEA just opened up 15/20 miles up the road in Stoughton, MA.

actually, it is about 30 miles away off of Route 24. A 45-50 minute ride at best. Will still go to the New Haven store.

Mark

Out of curiosity, why go to NH? It's an hour and 45 away, and you risk NH 95 traffic. Granted, it's a lot cooler to hang out in NH then the South Shore, but...

- Garris

Out of curiosity, why go to NH? It's an hour and 45 away, and you risk NH 95 traffic. Granted, it's a lot cooler to hang out in NH then the South Shore, but...

- Garris

For the same reason I won't go with my wife to a mall other than PP. I do not like the feel of suburban shopping. I am a country resident, but I enjoy the city setting. At the NH store it is a simple ride to Church and Chapel, Toads, etc. Once in Stoughton, where to? Brockton, Braintree. Louie's in Norwood is always good for a drink, but...NH is also a quick ride to The City, which I prefer over Boston.

Mark

So I'm hearing Biggles is supposed to open today at 3:00pm? :unsure:

Responding to myself... they were trying for a soft-opening this afternoon but apparently weren't quite there yet, sign in the window said tomorrow. You all should really head down there and check it out. The window is a Christmas wonderland.

In other news... Monday Market in Kennedy Plaza is done for the year, but this was in their email the other day:

But wait! Farm Fresh RI is thrilled to announce an indoor Holiday Market at the corner of Union and Westminster St. in the Peerless Building on Mondays and Saturdays (more details forthcoming). The Holiday Market will offer fresh locally grown tastes to keep your taste buds spoiled in the winter months. Broccoli, squashes, apples, eggs, honey, artisan bread, cheeses, potatoes, onions, cider -- all from the Rhode Island faces you've come to know this summer. We hope you'll come to know and enjoy the flavors of the winter's harvest as you do the summer's.

spoonless soup deli or some name close to that is moving into the uran kitch spot on westmin. Have signs up in the window ( that have spray paint on them for some reason )

Maybe the 3rd (4th, 5th, 20th...) time will be the charm for this spot.

I must say, it's shaping up so that Westminster should have quite the holiday season. We have Symposium and DWR already on the block, the shoe store coming shortly, Biggles, a new tenant for Urban Kitchen, and the Holiday Market in Peerless. There's still gaps in the retail, but there's going to be actual places to go when one wanders down there.

I'd hope we can see a streetlife emerge over the holiday season with street vendors and regular events going on to draw people in.

New concept. You'll find out more soon. They'll be carrying Mitchell Gold furniture, Jonathan Adler textiles and designs and high end home accessories.

Also, DCI will be opening in mid November next to Biggles. They are a design concept from NYC.

Finally, the opening for City Cafe on the corner of Weybosset and Dorrance (I know nothing about it) is at 3pm today.

New concept. You'll find out more soon. They'll be carrying Mitchell Gold furniture, Jonathan Adler textiles and designs and high end home accessories.

Also, DCI will be opening in mid November next to Biggles. They are a design concept from NYC.

Sounds like Westminster is shaping up to be quite the design/furniture district, which I think is WONDERFUL! I was wondering how DWR was fairing, I assume pretty well if all these other companies are looking to get in.

Finally, the opening for City Cafe on the corner of Weybosset and Dorrance (I know nothing about it) is at 3pm today.

I've been wondering by there every so often to see if they're open. I saw something in the window that made me think they have a liquor lisence.

What ever happened with Tim Horton's on Dorrance, any idea?

Got a quick tour of the toy store - the proprietor saw us peeking through the tour and invited us in.

Are they not open yet? My boyfriend got a tour yesterday, which is where I got the 3:00pm opening from (which didn't happen). Last night around 5pm as I was walking by there was an army of people working on the place.

Tim Horton's is still a go, I think they're beginning construction soon. Not the best use, but it'll be nice to see something in that space.

Other rumors floating around: an electronics store, a high end home theater store, and a wine store are in the works. Also, several grocery candidates. There's another home furnishings store opening in the ground floor of the Cosmopolitan. Tough location.

Hope that gives you guys some afternoon excitement!

Are they not open yet? My boyfriend got a tour yesterday, which is where I got the 3:00pm opening from (which didn't happen). Last night around 5pm as I was walking by there was an army of people working on the place.

The man who let us in said the fire marshall had just left and had given them a couple of things to do before they could open officially. He said they were hoping to open Thursday (11/3).

Tim Horton's is still a go, I think they're beginning construction soon. Not the best use, but it'll be nice to see something in that space.

Other rumors floating around: an electronics store, a high end home theater store, and a wine store are in the works. Also, several grocery candidates. There's another home furnishings store opening in the ground floor of the Cosmopolitan. Tough location.

I'm just curious about Tim Horton's, I've never been. Maybe the competition will prompt the DD on Dorrance to shape up. I noticed the DD on Westminster has a sign warning panhandlers that the police will be called and they will be arrest for asking for money in the store. The one on Dorrance needs one of those signs, I won't go in there any more, last time I went in I was hit up 3 times for money. :rolleyes:

Good news about Cosmo. That remaining vacant gave me pause about the whole Downcity retail landscape. I know Cornish's spots are just becoming available, but the Cosmo spots have been sitting vacant for a while. Tough spot I know, but still, it was looking like no one wanted to be Downcity outside the mall.

Hope that gives you guys some afternoon excitement!

I need to save some money so I can go shopping! :)

As a amateur donut connosieur, I can tell you that Tim Horton's sucks. Their donuts suck, their muffins suck more, and their coffee sucks. It's a big suckfest. They're small and bland, and they're worse for you than Dunkin Donuts. I wish an Allie's donuts would open in Providence, they are donut heaven.

Archived