South Florida mass transit

Aessotariq

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the name of regionalism, South Florida transit agencies have been increasing their cross-county connectivity with new bus service. On July 31st, Miami-Dade Transit is introducing the 175 NW Dade Express, MDT's first express bus route into Broward County, which will connect Pembroke Pines with the Palmetto Metrorail station during peak hours. Originally intended to stop directly on the Pembroke Lakes Mall property, mall owners have refused to allow MDT to drop off its passengers there. MDT is using Pines Blvd temporarily, instead.

Miami Herald.

Miami-Dade County - Bus service updates

Congress passed yesterday a $286.4 billion transportation bill for highway and transit projects, which includes the much-need federal dollars needed for South Florida's rail expansion! It passed both houses of Congress, and now needs a presidential signature.

Miami-Dade County is to receive $2.2 billion for the North and East-West Metrorail corridors. City of Miami could get up to $50 million to build its streetcar network. The County will be in a better position for $100 million in state funds for the Earlington Heights Connector, one of the few projects not being funded with federal money.

According to the Herald, "The county is hoping to build the 9.5-mile North corridor at a cost of $843 million and the 10.1-mile East-West segment for $1.38 billion with this division of funds: 50 percent federal, 25 percent state and the balance from the half-cent sales tax voters approved in 2002."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/12261048.htm

In the name of regionalism, South Florida transit agencies have been increasing their cross-county connectivity with new bus service. On July 31st, Miami-Dade Transit is introducing the 175 NW Dade Express, MDT's first express bus route into Broward County, which will connect Pembroke Pines with the Palmetto Metrorail station during peak hours. Originally intended to stop directly on the Pembroke Lakes Mall property, mall owners have refused to allow MDT to drop off its passengers there. MDT is using Pines Blvd temporarily, instead.

Miami Herald.

Miami-Dade County - Bus service updates

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol,.. that is green though,.. but i guess they're worried it will turn it into another 163rd st Mall,.. :D

Excellent news Aessotariq I was just reading about this in the Herald this morning. Public hearings on the North Corridor were held yesterday and I seriously doubt there would have been much opposition considering it was a previously planned route.

At any rate the FTA will ultimately have final say on disbursement.

lol,.. that is green though,..  but i guess they're worried it will turn it into another 163rd st Mall,..    :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only excuse they could come up with was 'not enough parking'. That's pretty "messed up." Given that BCT already stops there, it wouldn't make much difference.

Excellent news Aessotariq I was just reading about this in the Herald this morning. Public hearings on the North Corridor were held yesterday and I seriously doubt there would have been much opposition considering it was a previously planned route.

At any rate the FTA will ultimately have final say on disbursement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only wish they could build these things faster... although it's certainly much better than before, beyond 2020... :ph34r:

A private company is trying to start a water taxi service, which would run along the Intracoastal Waterway, connecting Jupiter with West Palm Beach. Palm Beach County has 40 miles of waterway in total. The county's MPO has money available for cities along the waterfront to rehab their docks. Some possible stops along the way: Burt Reynolds Park (Jupiter), the PGA Boulevard Bridge (Palm Beach Gardens), Light Harbor Park (Riviera Beach), the Flagler Museum (Palm Beach), and downtown West Palm Beach.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/pal...=sfla-news-palm

The city of Plantation (central Broward) is receiving $1.2 million from the federal government to develop a "trolley" system for one of its most congested areas, which includes two regional malls. The information is ambiguous, but for this kind of money the project is going to consist of souped-up vintage trolley buses. Still a good effort, and if the phenomenal success of the Coral Gables Trolley has proved anything, then this should be fine. When Broward County's light rail line along I-595 is finished within the next 20-30 years, connectivity with this system and county mainlines will be crucial.

Plantation is one of several Broward cities that is looking for higher-density options for growth, including the creation of a mixed-use "town center" for the city.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward

Broward County is also receiving money to expand its bus fleet. Plus the greatly-needed extension of Pembroke Road in western Broward County will finally begin thanks to funding for a new overpass over I-75. Right now the only ways across I-75 in the Miramar/Pembroke Pines area are Miramar Parkway, Pines Blvd, and Sheridan Street, each about two miles apart from each other.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12287858.htm

There is a plan like that in the works. The county would provide funding to the municipalities to set up some local circulator routes, the municipalities would decide where they would go, etc., and the requirement would be that they would have to connect with their neighboring municipalities, connect with county mainline buses, and not overlap existing county routes.

Aventura and Sunny Isles have joined the watertaxi study bandwagon (banana boat?). A private company that currently provides service, primarily used by tourists, along Fort Lauderdale's waterways, gave a presentation to officials of both cities. These two cities face each other along the Intracoastal Waterway.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/12297445.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Palm Tran News!

Route 10: New North-County service to Jupiter.

While riding the bus home the other day, I picked up a copy of the quarterly Palm Tran newsletter, and read about a new route in the works. It will connect the Gardens Mall (on PGA Blvd) to the Abacoa/Jupiter area (on Donald Ross Rd). I'm pretty sure this new route is in conjunction with the future expansion of Tri-Rail.

Tri-Rail service extended to Martin County? The idea has regained interest and a request for a study which would include a train station in Stuart has how been submitted to the state. Surprisingly for this forumer, local residents have been among the group requesting this extension. A local citizens advisory committee supports looking into extending into St. Lucie County. A Port St. Lucie or Fort Pierce station might attract commuters who work in Palm Beach County. Possible alignments include the CSX tracks, which veer northwest toward Indiantown and eventually Okeechobee (less populated areas), and the FEC tracks, which run through the most heavily populated parts of the county.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/pal...=sfla-news-palm

In doing research for another thread, I learned several remarkable statistics on Metrorail and other transit ridership in this region. It seems ironic to find this in the paper today. What a success story this is -- for people who say that Metrorail doesn't get riders, they have obviously never been to the Dadeland North station. This station's 12-story, 1,975-space parking parking garage reaches 100% capacity by about 8:30am each weekday, leaving some park-and-riders going to other stations searching for a space. Metrorail garages and Busway lots throughout the county are scrambling for more space.

The Transit department is experimenting with a carpool incentive program that will reserve 10 ground-floor parking spaces to vehicles carrying three passengers or greater. A new garage may also be in the works as well.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12442479.htm

Archived