Winter Weather Forecast

BrandonTO416

Accuweather has introduced its winter weather forecasts.

Here are average snowfall amounts in an average US winter:

average.jpg

And this year its expected to follow this pattern:

snow.jpg

The eastern US should experience below average temps this year:

temp.jpg

Final note, since Tennessee receives more snowfall then average of the southeastern states, and the plateau community I grew up in gets an average of 25 inches of snow a year, I suppose that's why I don't think Philly winters or Chicago winters are all that bad.

Obviously the Smoky Mountains receive the most snowfall, but no one lives in the high elevations anyway. 80 inches of snow fell on Mt LeConte, TN in one day last winter. Granted, that was at the 6,000ft elevation level. ;)

215 miles south in Atlanta, they average 2-3 inches per year, if that much.

I'm assuming the reason why there is a ridge where less snow falls up to the Ohio Valley at the KY/MO/IL border is because the Mississippi/Ohio Valley is extremely low elevation, averaging 100-200ft above sea level in the Mississippi River Valley south to the Gulf @ New Orleans.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming the reason why there is a ridge where less snow falls up to the Ohio Valley at the KY/MO/IL border is because the Mississippi/Ohio Valley is extremely low elevation, averaging 100-200ft above sea level in the Mississippi River Valley south to the Gulf @ New Orleans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think storms coming up the Mississippi Valley off the warm Gulf waters contribute to the lower snowfall totals at the mouth of the Ohio River. If a storm comes down from Canada it'll be cold and they'll get snow, but a storm off the Gulf brings a lot of warm air with it, and it can displace enough cold air to drop it's precipitation as rain that far north.

Looks like Providence is in for a good 36 inches this year. The Old Farmers Almanac is predicting a cold wet winter for us also.

Cape Cod which hangs off the edge of Massachusetts out into the Atlantic is in the 12-36 inch range. The ocean moderates temperatures on the Cape so that it often gets rain when the rest of New England is getting snow. However, it's position hanging out in the ocean the way it is can also make it suspetible to getting more snow then the rest of Southern New England. It can catch the edge of an ocean storm that doesn't effect the rest of New England, and it can get 'ocean effect' snow. 'Ocean effect' snow is just like 'lake effect' snow, cold air blows across the Gulf of Maine picking up moisture which can then be dumped on the Cape in the form of snow, and the Cape can get a lot of snow if conditions are right. When I was in 6th grade we had no school for the entire month of February due to several large storms and extreme 'ocean effect' snows.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an example of ocean effect snow.

OceanEffect.jpg

Boston and Providence were sunnier and cold today, while down on Cape Cod they were having these bands of Ocean Effect snow. This is actually quite early for this to be happening. Could be an indication of the coming winter. However it is supposed to be in the 60s the rest of the week, so who knows.

Yes! Less snow this winter. :)

I hate the cold. I'm sure everyone on this forum will be sick of me complaining about the weather the second the snowflakes start flying around here, which was supposed to be this week, but now it looks like that isn't going to happen. :)

Archived