ArtWalk stop imagines the future

Urban_Legend

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a wonderful exhibit and showcased what we could do with many of our alleys and spaces suitable for infill development downtown. Six After Five really put a lot of time and effort into their vision for Gallery 13. That space made me feel like I was back at the FAMU School of Architecture in Tallahassee.

BTW, I really enjoyed the Art Walk and I'll be back to do it again next month. It really gives you the opportunity to visit places that you would have never known about or never stopped in to look around. It also makes you feel good to see so many people out on the streets and shops open in downtown at night. You can also experience the rebirth of downtown, firsthand, because you can't help but notice all of the construction projects taking place and new shops popping up in previous vacant or underutilized buildings.

Some of the places I visited included The Seminole Club, Iseyu Japenese Restaurant, La Cena, Zodiac Grill, The Magnificent Cafe, 100 Laura St., 11 East, and a small jewelry store and hair salon on Hogan St. I'll definately be back to try out some of the restaurants that are now open at night.

Then to top it off, me, a co-worker and her friends ended up spending a little time in The London Bridge socializing and getting to know each other better.

BTW, I also ran into Mike Langston. He told me that he's close to wrapping up a parking deal in a nearby garage for The Barnett project. IMO, the city needs to really focus in on getting The Barnett and Laura Place deals done. With so many restaurants, entertainment venues, and retail shops planned in the area, I really believe the future residents of these buildings (and the Carlington & Lerner Shops) will be greatly needed, for many of these establishments to survive in the long term.

Archived