The Market in downtown Norfolk closing

Telmnstr

I live in Freemason. I walk to downtown a lot less because my job kind of slowed down heavily. Heh.

On the flip side, our hackerspace lab gets people to downtown sometimes, and we tend to go to Granby street and other venues.

The Marketplace was our emergency spot to stock the fridge at the lab with soda and stuff.

A friend wanted to go to Hooters last night, so we went from the lab to hooters and back down Granby. Granby was pretty dead. It was a Tuesday, but I was kind of surprised.

I have to admit tho, I just didn't grocery shop at the Marketplace that much. And I live near it. For me it's just easier to go to Sams and another evil place down off College Drive in Suffolk. Everyone talked about how great the prepared food was, but I never thought it was anything great.

It was handy though. It's interesting that it's still empty. Owners probably asking too much in rent.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sounds expensive but the place is huge...  Per square foot it's not so bad.  They should market about half of it to a trader joes or fresh market (or similar) and split the other half into 2-3 spaces for a pharmacy and some type of medical service business.

Before farm fresh ever closed the space was for sale on loopnet. I guess the people that built the building signed the contract with Farm Fresh, then tried to sell the space the contract was signed for or whatever. It was odd.

Everybody wants medical related people to occupy their spaces because they can presumably pay high rents since they rape customers :-) It's amusing.

Archived