Downtown Raleigh Rentals

DPK

I didn't know where else to post this so I decided to create a new topic dedicated to the insane pursuit of rentals in the downtown area. Craigslist really is horrible and downtown Raleigh doesn't have a whole lot of rental opportunities so every bit of feedback helps.

Currently I'm looking at renting a unit in Capitol Park (the area over by Seaboard Station and behind Peace College) and was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up about the area. Know anyone that lives in there? How's the neighborhood?

I've been stalking downtown in general for a rental further in to the heart of downtown by Glenwood South but my search has been futile for a unit in the 700-900 range so I guess I'm going to end up settling for a few blocks out.

It annoys me to no end how there aren't more rental options like 712 Tucker in the downtown area. Also before you start in on me about checking out the Raleigh Apartments, I want air conditioning in the summer heat thanks. :P

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you looked at Boylan Apartments on Hillsborough Street? Central A/C...in your price range...and only a couple blocks from Glenwood South & Warehouse District. Major renovation overhaul about 4 years ago, but kept the charming 1930s style. You can get a reserved parking space for an additional 20 bucks a month if I recall.

Cameron Court would fit what you mention too, though they aren't nearly as nice as Boylan. They were last renovated in the early 90s I think. (Though on the upside they have more resident storage, and bigger kitchens.) They would be more likely to have vacancies, since they have like three times the number of units. And of course, are cheaper.

If the eastern portion of downtown works, Carlton Place is possible. Half the building is reserved for assisted low-income folk, but the other half is "market rate" and is probably on the upper end of your range.

I don't have first-hand experience, but I would think that Capitol Park is probably a pretty good area. I had a friend who lived in a rented condo Off of Mordecai just north of there, and the neighborhood was fine. FWIW, Capitol Park is literally around the corner from Pilot Mill, which is a very upscale neighborhood.

I second RaleighRob's suggestions, and will add that you might need to do some significant legwork looking around for For Rent signs. That is how i found my apartment, and I think that is the only way my landlord advertises, except for maybe a classified in the N&O.

Boylan Apartments are much better than they were with the AC but the W/D's are still in the basement I think. Also those townhomes over by Charley Goodnights might be 900-1000 and also sometimes one of the 4 townhomes on west hargett next to cornerstone is for rent...given they are not high end but still only 5-6 years old they should be about that range.

Archived