Downtown Fuquay Varina Hudson Belk Closing

NCMike1981

Downtown Fuquay Varina Belk Closing (with video)

So it appears as if one of the last downtown department stores in the area will be closing its doors shortly, the downtown Fuquay Varina store. I believe this store was the last full line downtown department store in the Triangle, and I believe it may have been one of the last downtown Belk stores left (not obtained via acquisition). It's the end of an era, check it out while you still can.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown Fuquay Varina Belk Closing (with video)

So it appears as if one of the last downtown department stores in the area will be closing its doors shortly, the downtown Fuquay Varina store. I believe this store was the last full line downtown department store in the Triangle, and I believe it may have been one of the last downtown Belk stores left (not obtained via acquisition). It's the end of an era, check it out while you still can.

That's sad- there are no downtown Belk stores left that I know of now, except this one.

Standard line about "oh, losing a big anchor is an opportunity"...right.

Retail should have been developed around that Belk's- it seems to be all alone, and critical mass is key in retail.

Unfortunately this is something I've felt for a while as being a long time coming, but what really suprises me is not only is Belk closing their longtime downtown store they are leaving town altogether. I always assumed their plan was to hop over to one of the shopping centers off 401 eventually with all the stuff going up over there, but it appears as if they are closing the store with no replacement. Maybe it's really just a victim of the recession...I wonder how it held on for so long, maybe they owned the building or rent was really cheap? Or maybe since the store was so small it didnt take as much to turn a profit?

Archived