Shining Sea Bikeway

New Name

I took a bunch of pictures at the newly opened "Shining Sea Bike Way" in Falmouth, MA (on Cape Cod). Part of the bikeway has existed for many years (the part from Falmouth town center to Woods Hole) - but the extension has just opened, totaling 10.6 miles.

None of the pictures are technically extraordinary, but the bikeway is - so here goes:

The original starting point of the bikeway (now in the middle of the trail):

massachusetts%20081.jpg

The new starting point in North Falmouth. The rails to the left stop shortly after this photo, and the dedicated ROW is entirely given to bikes :)

massachusetts%20004.jpg

These houses used to back up to an unused railbed. Now they back up to bicyclists. Judging by the mentality of many New Englanders, they're probably not happy to have people this close to their private space.

massachusetts%20006.jpg

It seems like you're in the woods here, but it's just a well protected natural area in a dense residential town:massachusetts%20007.jpg

This is a shot taken at 23mph:

massachusetts%20014.jpg

This house actually fronts the bikeway - I think - either that or this is their backporch - not too shabby if you ask me!

massachusetts%20027.jpg

This was probably a kid's fort in the back yard when the traintracks were there - the owners of the house seem to embrace their new bikeway - sorry it's a blurry.

massachusetts%20012.jpg

Here is another blurry shot of the same thing:

massachusetts%20013.jpg

Various small road crossings as you get closer into town:

massachusetts%20015.jpg

Now you enter Bournes Farm or is it Bournes Pond? It's a small preserve and cranberry bog:

massachusetts%20019.jpg

massachusetts%20123.jpg

massachusetts%20124.jpg

Notice the very old utility pole (power or phone?):

massachusetts%20024.jpg

Crossing the Great Sippiwissett Marsh (tidal marsh to Buzzards Bay):

massachusetts%20031.jpg

massachusetts%20034.jpg

massachusetts%20041.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, now you're through the Great Sippiwissett Marsh, and you come into Saconesset Hills neighborhood:

massachusetts%20044.jpg

A cool old bridge (when I lived here as a kid, I used to cross over on this bridge for my paper route! That's when it was just an abandoned railbed):

massachusetts%20047.jpg

You may think you're in the middle of the woods, but you're not - you're in a very prestigious gated neighborhood (those are the 2x4s for a future fence :angry: ) :

massachusetts%20048.jpg

Okay, on into the Town of Falmouth (kinda):

massachusetts%20057.jpg

Everybody wants a piece of the action - including Seafood Sams!

massachusetts%20059.jpg

At this point, the bikeway comes to Depot Avenue, so named for the fact that the bikeway used to be the traintracks; so you will ride right up to the former trainstation (which is now the greyhound bus).

massachusetts%20064.jpg

This awesome old tree and stone wall is there:

massachusetts%20076.jpg

Here is the bus (former train) station. When I was in high school, I remember being able to walk onto the abandoned train platforms in the back - now, you can't even see them:

massachusetts%20069.jpg

massachusetts%20071.jpg

Sculpture, bus station in the background, litter, and I like how they decided to keep up the railroadXcrossing signs:

massachusetts%20066.jpg

Onward, we find a couple more tucked away paths leading to houses just off the bikeway:

massachusetts%20083.jpg

And then we start coming out to small tidal ponds (Oyster Pond, Salt Pond) which flow to/from Vinyard Sound (notice the wind turbine):

massachusetts%20088.jpg

I want to retire to this house someday:

massachusetts%20086.jpg

Crossing the inlets to the ponds, now fully along the oceanfront of Vineyard Sound:

massachusetts%20090.jpg

Getting out to Woods Hole:

massachusetts%20095.jpg

massachusetts%20092.jpgmassachusetts%20096.jpg

massachusetts%20097.jpg

In the distance is the end of the line (the ferry to Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket):

massachusetts%20101.jpg

Archived