Tryon Street over the Years.

monsoon

I saw these of 1880, 1900 and 1920s and 1950s Tryon Street.

This is supposed to be The Square in the 1880s. Don't recognize anything in this photo. If I had to guess I would say this is looking at the place where the small water falls park is at Trade and Tryon. The building with the awning looks like one of the buildings that Al Roussou (sp) of Brownlee Jewelers tried to prevent the city from tearing down in the 1980s. On the other hand it could also be where the Marriott is today as that church steeple might belong to the Presbyterian church.

xeonxd.jpg

Maybe 1910s. Look at the street level activity.

vggyv8.jpg

All gone now. This is most likely looking South down Tryon from Independence Square. (now referred to as The Square)

x2rkax.jpg

This one is easy as the Ivey's building is still in downtown except it has been turned into a fast food mall and condo building. From the 1920s. Notice the electric trolleys that prowled downtown in those days.

2cijud2.jpg

When ordinary people lived and shopped downtown. Most likely the zenith of downtown habitation of urban Charlotte during the 1950s. It would never be like this again.

16beaky.jpg

Looking up N. Tryon from Independence Square. During the same period as above. The Rexall Drug store is where the 60 story BofA tower is located today. When BofA tore down this block in the 1980s, it was an Eckerds.

34838mv.jpg

JFK. I don't think he was that famous yet. Notice the Charlotte movie theatre.

2q35h6p.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post. I love the pics but it is depressing knowing we used to have that stock of buildings downtown! Such a shame.

I love the street car and the neon lights. I only wish the Carolina Theater will come back with a flashy marquee.

The third picture is my favorite. I love the half circle windows and the architectural details. Charlotte used to have buildings with turrets! Now I am depressed.

Instead of going after the Bush Admin for waterboarding, we should find the people who tore down these buildings and prosecute them!

Well, we have to live with the sins of those before us unfortunately. People would think of Charlotte in an entirely different way has some of these buildings been preserved and new buildings concentrated away from or further down Tryon.

I can help with the first photo. It is actually looking at the corner of trade and tryon where the marriott hotel and independence center are. This is an old photo, pre Independence Building.

I can't help but wonder why it was that these buildings had to be torn down to make way for skyscrapers when other land could have been developed just blocks away. An area like those in the 1950's pictures would completely transform Charlotte as we see it today.

Also, why did the name of Independence Square ever change? I actually like that better.

Well, we have to live with the sins of those before us unfortunately. People would think of Charlotte in an entirely different way has some of these buildings been preserved and new buildings concentrated away from or further down Tryon.

I can help with the first photo. It is actually looking at the corner of trade and tryon where the marriott hotel and independence center are. This is an old photo, pre Independence Building.

Great find! It's good to see we at least have some historical perspectives to really get a detailed look at Charlotte's early architecture. I do find it somewhat ironic that the streetcar was taken out, and now the city is pushing to pay millions to have it put back in.

I might be able to help out in dating two of the photos. I think the second picture is actually late 1920's just based on the first car in the photo - it looks a lot like the 1928 Ford Model A 2dr seen here. The fourth picture would be right around 1920, maybe just a few years after.

Archived