coming from Chicago to Detroit.

ChiTownGuy

hello everyone,

i will be coming to Wayne State University as a transfer student during the spring semester and i was hoping you all could help me out by telling me what areas of the city are the best for housing? my goal is to find an aparment instead of living in the dorms. any help you all can give will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

ChiTownGuy.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, well $950 a month in Detroit will get you more than you're expecting.

If you're going to WSU I think it would make sense to live around WSU. If I were going to WSU that's where I'd go. It's close to your classes, generally nice, will have people and things to do for college aged students, is close to museums and there are a few public festivals held around there during the summer. It's close to downtown. I don't have any specific recommendations, but in general I think the closer to the university the better. Those areas are also probably more in tune with college semesters and shorter stays.

ChiTownGuy,

Like others had mentioned you really do have your "pick of the litter" with your price point. If you are willing to commute around the city on a bicycle I'd recommend the growing diverse areas of Woodbridge (adjacent to WSU), Corktown, and areas around Southwest Detroit (Mexicantown would be close and can get you a full plate of food for $3). Most 2BR+ flats around those areas are $700 with heat and electric incl.

Like wolverine mentioned nice 2000+ sf lofts are popping up all over - most near the New Center area - some were not well thought out. Many of the lofts had owners cashing out and developers thinking there could create a market of hip new life, so have a loft development with the other 3 corners being barren fields.

You also might want to look into Grosse Pointe, a great area to live in and you'll be close enough to the urban core.

For downtown living, take a look at Lofts of Merchants Row on Woodward Avenue. Also, the Lofts at Woodward Center just across the street. Thes two destinations are a quick (10-15 minute) bike ride to campus or a short bus ride up Woodward or Cass. If you don't mind living about a mile-mile and a half from classes, the downtown area would be the place to be just because it's close to the water and all the little activities that go on around downtown all the time.

There is also the area near New Center which has some houses and apartment buildings. Then immediately to the east of downtown is Lafayette Park. There are also apartments in Indian Village, which isn't much of a drive to WSU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_in_Detroit

Do you have any preferences on the architecture of the building?

$950 goes pretty far in Detroit. With that price point, you really could move to just about any area of the city you wanted to.

If you want to be close to campus, Woodbridge and the apartments of midtown are your best bet. However, if you're willing to drive or bike a short distance, a lot of other options open up. These include any number of downtown buildings, Corktown, Lafayette Park, West Village/Indian Village, and New Center.

Lafayette Park is a hidden gem. It is probably one of the most diverse areas in the city. It's safe and quiet, but only a short walk across I-375 to get to downtown. It's an amazing oasis, especially in the summertime, when it is lush and green.

Corktown is a personal favorite of mine, and it's where I would be living if I wasn't living here. It's the city's oldest neighborhood, and contains a number of historic Victorian worker's cottages. You could probably rent one of these for $900/mo. Alternatively, there are a few apartment buildings scattered throughout the area. A good friend of mine lives in an unassuming 1920s apartment building. He pays $450/mo., a price that includes all utilities except for electricity, and there's free wireless internet in the building. Corktown is close to downtown, and a short drive to get up to the Wayne State area. Another friend of mine who lives in Corktown rides his bike to work at the Detroit Institute of Arts every day, so it's not a bad ride, either.

West Village and Indian Village are among the most desirable neighborhoods in the city. I'm admittedly biased, because I live in West Village, but it really is a great place to live. I moved here from Southwest Detroit last summer, and it was the best move I ever made. It's quiet, historic, vibrant, and eclectic. We pride ourselves on the diversity of people living here. People from all walks of life live here. There are college students, young families, urban professionals, and people who have been living here for several decades. There is a fairly sizable gay population (for Detroit, anyway), and several very active community organizations. There is a great diversity of housing stock here, so you can take your pick. Townhouses, single family homes, two-family flats, and apartment buildings are all intermixed throughout West Village. Indian Village, to the east, is the city's best-kept area of historic mansions. Along Jefferson Avenue are several more apartment buildings, most of which are very well kept, and quite affordable. Most of the buildings also have river views. Anywhere in the West Village/Indian Village/Gold Coast area has quick access to the riverfront, and Belle Isle is a short walk away. Here in West Village, we are served with several bus lines; in fact, we are probably served the best out of any residential neighborhood in the city. I literally have to walk about 100 feet from my front door to catch the Van Dyke/Lafayette bus into downtown. The neighborhood is among the quietest in the city, and is very walkable. It's one of the few places left in Detroit that has an urban feeling. The drawback with the neighborhood is that it's further away from WSU than any of the neighborhoods, but it's still only a ten minute drive away. Large, empty, one-way streets with little traffic make commuting a breeze.

Archived