West Michigan or East Michigan

coolbrezze

I read many people make comments on West Michigan or East Michigan. Although I find it hard to locate Lansing, Michigan between the two. Which would you consider Lansing, Michigan as?

( I hear many people say mid-Michigan when refferring to Lansing, although I would just like an explanation of west or east for this thread).

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read many people make comments on West Michigan or East Michigan. Although I find it hard to locate Lansing, Michigan between the two. Which would you consider Lansing, Michigan as?

( I hear many people say mid-Michigan when refferring to Lansing, although I would just like an explanation of west or east for this thread).

Lansing is neither East nor West. It truly is mid-Michigan.

That said, I think it's more attached, culturally and economically to Detroit than Grand Rapids. Not because that's good or bad per se... just because Detroit is the epicenter of everything Michigan, so a city located equidistant between the biggest and second biggest cities would generally relate more to it's biggest neighbor.

Lansing is neither East nor West. It truly is mid-Michigan.

That said, I think it's more attached, culturally and economically to Detroit than Grand Rapids. Not because that's good or bad per se... just because Detroit is the epicenter of everything Michigan, so a city located equidistant between the biggest and second biggest cities would generally relate more to it's biggest neighbor.

If you think of it in terms of enclaves or sub-communities, you might define your region as the network of places you and the people you know go frequently. In that respect, growing up in West Michigan, when I think of it, I remember going to Grand Rapids, St. Joseph, Three Rivers, Holland, Grand Haven, South Haven...etc. prominently as being part of the experience of living in West Michigan, whereas I think of the very few times I've been to Lansing rather as being part of the experience of living in Michigan. Also, this was the general area in which my high school traveled to compete in sports, etc. If and when we ever traveled to Lansing it was usually for some State-Level competition.

Thanks for the reply's

Too far from the lake? I don't think Lansing, Michigan isn't that far from Lake Michigan at all, nor any other great lakes. It's a decent driving distance to all. Although since many may drive through a big city like Grand Rapids to get to lake Michigan, it may seem further.

Most people in Lansing refer to Lake Michigan as "Lake Michigan", although that goes for all those I know who stay on the west side of the state...... "the Big Lake" I'm sure it's use by some in the area, and for those on the west side of the state... just those I know/ run into on all sides of the state simply keeps it's name "Lake Michigan".

Well, it's been a long time since I lived there, but when you said "the Big Lake" in Grand Rapids, everyone knew what you were referring to. I doubt that is true in Lansing, which is as close to Lake Erie as it is to Lake Michigan.

Sorry. Lansing is NOT in West Michigan. Never has been. Never will be.

It is in Mid-Michigan, a distinction it shares with Jackson, Owosso, Mt. Pleasant and a number of other fine communities.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always referred to it as "The Big Lake."

But I would make a note that I hear the "Big Lake" terminology being used more consistently among those in the West Michigan boating community. As a boater, I hear things like "Do you want to stay inland or go the The Big Lake?" or "I was out on "The Big Lake."

Archived