Wachovia takes over Southtrust

monsoon

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would definately be one heck of a tower and definately a signature for Charlotte. I do hope if they revived the plans that they would consider the alternate design. I don't care much for the design depicted in the photo above.

Why did wachovia bother to announce this 20+ story tower proposal if they were actually thinking about building some mammoth tower? Seems to me, we're only going to see that 20-some story tower built anytime soon. In fact, even that tower may have been based on Wachovia's expected acquisition of SouthTrust.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't expect anything that major for a long, long time.

Despite Wachovia's acquisitions, the office market just couldn't take this tower and Wachovia knows it can't afford that much empty unleased space right now. If Wachovia did do anything in regards to towers in uptown post Southtrust it may add a few floors onto this upcoming tower but as NoStyle said, Wachovia has known about an upcoming merger for a long time now. Bank mergers don't happen overnight. If Wachovia were going to dust off #4 it would have waited until now to announce any tower at all and certainly wouldn't have announced the previous tower that would detract from them possibly leasing up to 30 floors of #4. I still say it may be the end of the decade before we see any sizable office towers going up. In the interim we may have to satisfy ourselves with non-landmark medium height towers like 300 S Tryon. I think we should see a 35-40 floor residential tower in at least a couple of years.

Archived