Urban Planet Native iPhone app?

Nashville_maestro

I don't know if one is already in the works or how many members own iPhones but I'm sure quite a few do. I myself do just about all of my posting (including this post) through my iPhone and it can be really annoying at times. Safari crashes a lot and I've had to re-type entire posts before. The more I think about it, the more I think it would rock my socks. You could open the app from the home screen and be taken to a login screen in much the same way that facebook and myspace open. Once logged in, you could begin browsing the forums in a tabbed style UI. The bottomof the screen could hold the site controls such as the user control pannel, a logout icon, and a post reply/new thread icon. The top would contain the tab buttons to navigate the forums. You could even upload freshly snapped pics from the built in camera. I see many posts from users requesting newly updated pics of construction sites, etc so I think that feature would be immensly useful.

Bottom line is that it would make our members' lives who are on the go a lot much easier. Urban planet loads s l o w l y on an iphone. I wish I knew how to code or I would volunteer to make it.

Edit- been thinking if it's even possible or if this is something v-bulliten (or whatever UP uses) would have to do? I havnt seen ANY foruming apps in the app store and maybe for a reason...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt you'll see an iPhone application from me (particularly one that is a native application so that photos could be uploaded, etc.) because I'm simply not a 'programmer', particularly with something like cocoa touch (what iPhone apps are based from). Having said that, I do know my way around web language fairly well and thus I have made the 'lo-fi' version of this website as iPhone friendly as possible. This is the version that monsoon has linked to above and you can also find it on every page at the bottom as 'Mobile'.

The developers of the forum software we use here have stated that they would like to create an iPhone version of the software so that you could do things like post from the mobile version of the forum. You'll likely not see a true iPhone site until sometime next year if that does indeed come to fruition.

thanks for the heads up! I never knew there was a mobile ver of the site. I havnt had much time to spend with it but it loads much faster. Is there a way to post replys in it? I'll keep my fingers crossed about the native app!

Unfortunately there is no way to post using the mobile version of the site at this moment; but as I alluded to above, it is something that has a chance of becoming reality in 2009.

• 1 year later...

I'll second the wish for a mobile version. I am VERY impressed with the A/V Forum's iPhone app, and think that one just like that for these forums would lead to much better following.

Thanks for the site, BTW!

FWIW, a native iPhone app is being developed and unlike the A/V Forums app, it will have completely free push notifications for life. The A/V Forums app has free push notifications only until the third party they use for it comes out of beta.

We already have a superb (IMO) web app that works not only with the iPhone but many other devices. I'm a heavy iPhone user so definitely expect to see more development in our mobile version, particularly for iPhone users.

Archived