Triple Crown Belated Update

wolfdawg54

Smarty Jones becomes the twenty-sixth racehorse to fail at the Triple Crown. In the past three years, the potential Triple Crown winner has failed. In 2002, War Emblem failed at the Belmont losing to Sarvara. Last year, a much supported Funny Cide was defeated. This year, Smarty's party came to a crashing halt when Bird Stone soared past to win the Belmont, the longest of the three races. Affirmed won the triple Crown in 1978 defeating Allydar. What is your opinion on why these horses fail at the Belmont?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a long race and a tough schedule. Throw in all that extra attention the horse receives and it's not a big surprise.

It should be hard to do though. That's why we love it.

I ended up not going to bet on the race. Just as well, I would have lost some money even though I was betting against Smarty. You can bet that I'll be betting against the next horse that comes along in the same situation though. I'm just a contratian I guess.

It definately does. It makes it seem that those horses are "pretenders" while the big dogs win the Triple Crown. Secretariat was an incredible horse that even distances himself from the great ones like Seatle Slew, Affirmed, Man of War, etc. 1 and 1/2 miles is a long way.

Archived