Asheville Homeless

Zihuatanejo

What can you guys tell me about the homeless situation in Asheville? Some friends and I are considering moving to Asheville from Columbia, SC to open up a nonprofit homeless cafe. We're doing a scouting trip this weekend and would love to know where the homeless in Asheville typically hang out. If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What can you guys tell me about the homeless situation in Asheville? Some friends and I are considering moving to Asheville from Columbia, SC to open up a nonprofit homeless cafe. We're doing a scouting trip this weekend and would love to know where the homeless in Asheville typically hang out. If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to live and work in downtown Asheville and I don't know if I have ever been to a city with a concentration of homeless people like Asheville. They are everywhere downtown and they are a real burden on the downtown businesses IMO. I would constantly have to work to move them out of my place of work and I have a college friend that works in a gallery downtown that spends a good part of her day dealing with the homeless in the gallery. I am sympathetic to the plight of the homeless but it doesnt seem that the City of Asheville has done an acceptable job to deal with the homeless population there. For such a small city it really has a larger than normal and highly visible homeless population I hope that the city can do a better job of meeting the needs and getting these individuals off the streets.

Archived