Happenings and Grocery Stores Rakings

mgsports

Mattress Firm opened a location in Oviedo.

Chico and other place coming to Mall of M.

1 Supercenter Wal-mart/Neighborhood Market

2 Super Target

3 Albertsons/Publix

4 Winn Dixie

5 Wild Oats/Whole Foods

6 Others in the area

I would have ranked 3 at one but I work at Supercenter Wal-mart so it had to be at one.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, Publix and Albertson's are on totally different levels. I dunno about them both being ranked at the same number. I've been a fan of Publix from day one. Albertson's is decent but Publix in my opinion is a much better grocer.

• 3 months later...

I don't agree with anything on that list other than Whole Foods; but they are so overpriced. Orlando offers very little when it comes to fresh organic produce. Wal-Mart should be off that list as they offer nothing except for cheap prices. Nothing is remotely healthy at Wal-Mart. The only place so far that is considered a decent grocery store would be Fresh Market. Publix is a joke. I just don't understand the following of that store. There "Greenwise" area consists of 2 rows. Winn Dixie, is that even a grocery store or just a glorified version of a Orlando gift shop with high frustose corn syrup products thrown in to appeal to the tourist set. Support your local growers and buy direct and/or go to the weekend farmers markets to buy your produce.

The Eola Market and WP Farmer's Market both blow. It would be nice if Orlando had an area of town that has cheap land near downtown... (hint Parramore), that has a cluster of warehouse space... (another hint... Parramore) that could be turned into a massive produce, fresh fish (from the Gulf and the Atlantic), and fresh meat market (we still have lots of cattle in Central Florida). It could be called something like Parramore Market or Gulf Atlantic Market. Rent would be relatively cheap and with lots of variety, there would be a huge draw of locals. It would be a great supplier of fresh ingredients to the local downtown restaurant market as well.

The Eola Market and WP Farmer's Market both blow. It would be nice if Orlando had an area of town that has cheap land near downtown... (hint Parramore), that has a cluster of warehouse space... (another hint... Parramore) that could be turned into a massive produce, fresh fish (from the Gulf and the Atlantic), and fresh meat market (we still have lots of cattle in Central Florida). It could be called something like Parramore Market or Gulf Atlantic Market. Rent would be relatively cheap and with lots of variety, there would be a huge draw of locals. It would be a great supplier of fresh ingredients to the local downtown restaurant market as well.

I think a good market like that would really draw a lot of people downtown. And not just tourists, either. But in order for it to work in Orlando I think you have to be really careful - there are too many development companies that would immediately try to overtake it with the next "marketing concept" and loose it's independent appeal.

How do people feel about Fresh Market? I went there a couple of times - I thought it was good, but there seems to be no-one there, even on a Saturday afternoon. Kind of makes me worry about things like Meat and such.

Archived