Road trippin': Bardstown, Kentucky

seicer

Bardstown, Kentucky

Over thirty photographs available. See the URL for the full guide.

Named one of the best small towns in America, Bardstown offers impeccable dining options, unique boutiques and long-time shops, charming bed and breakfasts, cultural museums, bourbon heritage and an intact historic downtown and residential district that is unmatched anywhere else in the state.

Basilica of St. Joseph Proto Cathedral

This prominent cathedral was constructed from 1816 to 1819 and was the first Catholic Church west of the Allegheny Mountains. Known for its great collection of paintings, it has been designated a national landmark by the United States Congress.

full_3_2083.jpg

Downtown (more will be coming in the future)

full_3_8.jpg

full_3_2868.jpg

North 3rd Street boasts a great number of locally owned restaurants, cafes, bookstores, drug stores, antique shops and other stores.

Residences

full_3_1832.jpg

This two-story house was constructed in 1805.

full_3_934.jpg

Jacob Rizer House. Constructed in 1802, this was the home and shop of noted Kentucky long rifle craftsman. He resided in the log-cabin structure from 1790 to 1830. The owners spotted me and allowed me inside to view their handiwork -- their restoration efforts are amazing to say the least. Kudos :)

full_3_2253.jpg

This ancient, forest-green facade house was built in 1785.

full_3_1463.jpg

This modest brick house was built in 1788.

full_3_1216.jpg

I love this nation, for better and for worse.

Enjoy!

Bardstown Historical Museum

Contains numerous photographs with guide.

This museum offers a glimpse into the past of a city that has its roots to the 1790s. From civil war documents to Stephen Foster memorabilia, the museum continues to grow and expand, recently adding a new Trappist monks' exhibit. It is located within Spalding Hall and adjacent to the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History.

full_3_2322.jpg

Spalding Hall.

full_3_2167.jpg

Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History

Contains numerous photographs with guide.

This unique museum in the heart of of the Bluegrass distilleries offers a view into a personal endeavor of rare artifacts and documents by Oscar Getz, accumulated over the time frame of 50 years. With items ranging from the pre-Colonial days to the post-Prohibition years, one can step back into time and see what the old liquor stores once resembled and see collections bottles, copper stills and handcrafted barrels.

full_3_573.jpg

full_3_2350.jpg

full_3_1458.jpg

Enjoy!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another great thread!

You wouldn't happen to have any streetscape shots and/or downtown building shots? Would like to get an impression of whats its historic downtown looks like.

Ever been to Perryville? Its a great little historic town you might want to check out. I visited there this past year and took quite a few pics as I found it to be a very interesting little place. Think you would probably as well.

Outside of what I have at American Byways, not yet. I want to make a return trip now that the leaves are gone for more building composures.

Perryville is a very nice town. I'm waiting until the spring to do a battlefield revisit and photograph the town.

Archived