Downtown Restaurants

HSVTiger

The other thread about House of Brews prompted me to gather this list. Some are on the edge of downtown but the downtown area

is larger in scope than most people think. This includes Five Points and the Medical District.

801 Franklin

801 Franklin Street

519-8019

Fine dining.

Bruegger's

100 Church Street

539-7455

Captain D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear what you are saying, but I think the problem is the lack of any one area with a high concentration. Some of those places listed are pretty far from downtown, I mean Oakwood Avenue and Whitesburg almost to Bob Wallace are a little distant from the CBD to be considered the edge of downtown. I think the biggest problem is there isn't really an "entertainment district". Hopefully if the Constellation development occurs at the proposed scale, we will start to see an area where people can park their car for the night and go out to eat, see a show, bar hop... Of course, you can do that now, but your choices are really limited.

• 1 month later...

Yes. Having a more centralized entertainment district is the key to downtown's growth in my opinion, especially with young professionals. In Huntsville, you basically have to pick a place to go hang out and stay or get in your car and go somewhere else (shop>restaurant>theater>pub>?). For instance, when I lived in Savannah GA, my wife and I would simply "go downtown" with no specific place in mind. We would go to whatever seemed interesting, a nice restaurant, theatre, pubs, a walk on River Street, check out street performers, etc. And to be safe, you could just cab downtown and cab home. You can't do that in Huntsville. Downtown Huntsville itself is not an attraction. There's just no concentration of places to go and things to do like in Savannah (a smaller city than Huntsville). It's gotten better here in the last few years. But I wish it would pick up quick before I get to old to enjoy going out at night.

Archived