Wilmington planning annexation

TLT

Wilmington is thinking about annexing part of the county again. The first part being considered is a thousand acres with 1,500 people and 400 million a year in revenue. The target is mainly large shopping centers which include a Wal mart, Lowe's and a Home Depot. As usual consolidation of the city and county governments has come up in discussion. Wilmington has over half the population and about a third of the land area in the county, maybe it is time to consider consolidation?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

City council, at the last meeting, decided to gather more information on the next annexation and vote on taking action at a later date. The annexation will probably go through in about a year. The city council also asked staff to come with a plan for future annexations to occur on a regular basis. The majority, if not all, of the county meets requirments, by state law, for annexation by the city in the near future.

City council, at the last meeting, decided to gather more information on the next annexation and vote on taking action at a later date. The annexation will probably go through in about a year. The city council also asked staff to come with a plan for future annexations to occur on a regular basis. The majority, if not all, of the county meets requirments, by state law, for annexation by the city in the near future.

So you are saying all of New Hanover could be annexed? I knnow south of Wilmington is a no brainer but not sure about the density counts to the north. I really wish that VW auto factory would be located in Wilmington. What a perfect way to say that the port is deep enough and the workforce is ready for that kind of industry which I know it is. Just another example of how NC gave Wilmington the short end of the stick by not allowing I-95 to be built in or even close to the city. Imagine the NC coast if 95 was built through WIL up to JAX then head west a little to Greenville then scrape Wilson to the east and maybe cut right through downtown Rocky Mount before linking up on its present course. That course woluld also helped out the port at Morehead City get a major interstae access that both ports really needed like 30 years ago.

Archived