Moving to Tampa?

pink

Hi All,

I am writing to ask for some advise as to what neighborhood in (greater) Tampa would be a good fit for my young family (wife and infant son). I have been offered a job just North of downtown and my wife is looking for work downtown.

Our situation now:

Currently we live in the Northeast in a small -medium sized city. We really love the fact that things here are close by and we can currently walk to restaurants, cafes samll convenience stores, etc. Not that we don't get in the car to go to the supermarket or the mall. Also, both my wife and I are employed in the commercial arts. We enjoy the small, but vibrant art scene. We don't love the weather here and consider a change of scenery to be good. Also we may be able to both make more money in Tampa.

What I am scared of about Tampa:

In my limited poking around Tampa I have found that most of the communities are of the hard core, suburban kind. Nice safe streets with lots of generally identical house. But you have to get in your car to do anything (like get a coffee and a paper) which I really hate. Also, the more urban communities, like around Ybor look a little run down and potentially scary. I don't think we can afford (of want to be in) a high rise condo building.

What I am looking for:

Ultimately I would like to buy a house (3-4 beds) in a quiet, freindly, multi-ethnic neighborhood that has some neighborhood amenity, like restaurants, cafes, parks, etc. The general vibe being arty and old suburban (homes close together is ok). In general feeling like we are part of a vibrant community and not isolated in the burbs. We are not afraid of a fixer-uper. Price range in the $250k-$400k would be a good fit.

For reference think Cambridge, MA; Austin, TX, Berkeley, CA

Any and all suggestions welcome. This is a major move for us and I want to really carefully consider where we live.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi All,

I am writing to ask for some advise as to what neighborhood in (greater) Tampa would be a good fit for my young family (wife and infant son). I have been offered a job just North of downtown and my wife is looking for work downtown.

Our situation now:

Currently we live in the Northeast in a small -medium sized city. We really love the fact that things here are close by and we can currently walk to restaurants, cafes samll convenience stores, etc. Not that we don't get in the car to go to the supermarket or the mall. Also, both my wife and I are employed in the commercial arts. We enjoy the small, but vibrant art scene. We don't love the weather here and consider a change of scenery to be good. Also we may be able to both make more money in Tampa.

What I am scared of about Tampa:

In my limited poking around Tampa I have found that most of the communities are of the hard core, suburban kind. Nice safe streets with lots of generally identical house. But you have to get in your car to do anything (like get a coffee and a paper) which I really hate. Also, the more urban communities, like around Ybor look a little run down and potentially scary. I don't think we can afford (of want to be in) a high rise condo building.

What I am looking for:

Ultimately I would like to buy a house (3-4 beds) in a quiet, freindly, multi-ethnic neighborhood that has some neighborhood amenity, like restaurants, cafes, parks, etc. The general vibe being arty and old suburban (homes close together is ok). In general feeling like we are part of a vibrant community and not isolated in the burbs. We are not afraid of a fixer-uper. Price range in the $250k-$400k would be a good fit.

For reference think Cambridge, MA; Austin, TX, Berkeley, CA

Any and all suggestions welcome. This is a major move for us and I want to really carefully consider where we live.

• 2 weeks later...

The South Howard district may be a good fit. There are lots of nice 3-6 sotry condo and apartment buildings going with all the ground floor retial and stuff. It is also only about a 5-8 block walk to the Bayshore, but it should still be within the upper portion of your price range. There are also single family homes near by if your looking for those.

Channelside has some nice development. Though you would have to deal with nearby construction for the next 5 year minumum. The North Franklin Street Corridor is the same way. Empty for now but soon to be busy, and it already has some entertainment options.

I think you'd have a hard time finding any 3-4 BR condos or houses in the Channelside, South Tampa or Downtown areas under $400,000. I do think your best bet is Seminole Heights. There are a lot of older houses - including fixer uppers - with a lot of character that would fit into your desired range and size.

Seminole Heights is a short drive to DT Tampa, with quick access to I-275, and has an active home-owners community that has really cleaned up the area over the past 10 years. Some parts are still a little edgy, but there are also some beautiful neighborhoods, so good luck.

Archived