Tallahassee Rollerderby

Anybody else a fan of the local all-girl rollerderby team, Capital Punishment? They're in the middle of their first season, and it's a hell of a good time. I just picked up my ticket for this weekend's bout.

It's fun and foolish, but they also practice hard and play like demons. I know a couple of the girls, and damn - they're always sporting huge, nasty bruises from playing.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get your ticket ahead of time, they've been selling out like crazy. This bout is actually with the Tampa Derby team instead of the one they were scheduled to play. That's a good thing, mind you - the Tampa team, from what I hear, is excellent. And the better they skate, they more they can devote themselves to the fun stuff. ie, knocking the crap out of each other.

I know they practice up there sometimes, but their bouts are at the Fair Grounds, in one of the big warehouses. They just mark out the track on the floor. It's pretty insane - they hit the walls and the crowd with fair regularity. In fact, the front area of the audience is 18+ because you might well wind up with a fast-moving derby girl in your lap (we should all be so lucky).

They've been in the paper a couple times, on the radio (104.1. I think), and they've sold out or packed every bout so far. Maybe it's just something you don't notice until someone points it out? Now you know, go. I promise, it'll be more fun than the Titans.

mracca: I'm going with a bunch of folks, but if you go let me know. It's Saturday.

derbyroyaletantrums.jpg

Archived